10+ Year Old Account

Few questions about GW2

So my friend finally convinced me to buy Guild wars 2, since I never played the first one and neither did he, we have few questions about the game:
    1: Will we be able to pick PVP/PVE servers to play on? we are both huge PVP addicts and world PVP = awesome
    2: Is there good endgame content?
    3: is it true that PVP is more skill based than gear based?
    4: are there actual factions in the game like Horde/Alliance in WoW? from what i've seen there were only classes to choose from. If I'm right then how does world pvp work? is it free for all or class against class?
    5: how come there are no mounts/flying mounts in the game?
    Thanks for answering Pretty excited for saturday
    Pli of Kil'Jaeden

'Your Mama's so fat, I shadowstepped her and got disconnected

A good resource is this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!

It should answer most, if not all, of your questions.

1. There is no world PvP, but there is WvWvW.
    2. Subjective, but I think so. No raids.
    3. Yeah.
    4. No. WvW is a battleground where 3 servers are pitted against each other. It is a two week battle where each side fights for Castles and Keeps.
    5. Because Anet doesn't want them.

Refer to above post for details.
    Last edited by Gisei; 2012-08-24 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bread is funny View Post
    So my friend finally convinced me to buy Guild wars 2, since I never played the first one and neither did he, we have few questions about the game:
    1: Will we be able to pick PVP/PVE servers to play on? we are both huge PVP addicts and world PVP = awesome
    4: are there actual factions in the game like Horde/Alliance in WoW? from what i've seen there were only classes to choose from. If I'm right then how does world pvp work? is it free for all or class against class?
    Reading through the info for the uninitiated will fill you in more but here are the shorts:

1.) There are no PVP/PVE servers as there is no World PvP in the PvE area.
    2.) There is very little difference between leveling and the end-game - everything is available from the start except for the dungeons which have level restrictions.
    3.) PvP is entirely skill based for structured PvP - everyone has all skills unlocked and matching armor for their class. World vs. World PvP is similar but, in theory, you can have better stats from gear. Nothing that can't be overcome, though.
    4.) There are factions, just not factions that fight each other at the moment. They are the various races of Tyria.
    5.) There are no need for mounts since you unlock "teleporters" as you explore. For a very small fee, you can teleport with a brief walk to anywhere in the world you've already been.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Nope - there is no difference in servers.
    2. Amazing end game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIExN1GZK_Q
    3. Indeed. No gear progression stat wise in pvp, you go into the pvp staging area and you get an insta-80 and all the gear.
    4. Nope. GW2 has realm vs realm (known as WvWvW) or arena and hot matches.
    5. No need for mounts with waypoints and asura gates. The devs do not want you to fly over the content.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks I'm reading that thread but I can't help to wonder. what is there to do once you're max lvl since there are no raids?

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 04:30 PM ----------

Ah ok thanks Karizee
    Pli of Kil'Jaeden

'Your Mama's so fat, I shadowstepped her and got disconnected

10+ Year Old Account
    You go to Orr

A massive server wide battle on 3 fronts, by air, sea and land.
    Orr zone has 2x as many DE's as any other zone in game.
    These DEs branch and web, the battle will be fought on many fronts to control the corrupted god towers.
    Then a gauntlet to approach the Final Dungeon (which will be amazing hard)
    Earning legendary weapons.

Watch the vid I linked
    Valar morghulis

Thanks I'm reading that thread but I can't help to wonder. what is there to do once you're max lvl since there are no raids?
    There are no raids and no bimodal endgame such as in World of Warcraft. In the context of current mainstream MMOs it is completely inappropriate to say Guild Wars 2 has an endgame.

As used by the developers the term endgame is mostly marketing.

1) No, you don't pick PvE or PvP servers. World PvP exists in the form of WvWvW (World vs World vs World), which is a huge map where 3 servers are pitted against each other in 2-week fights over map domination (think castles, keeps, supplies, siege weapons). There is also sPvP which is the equivalent to BGs and rBGs. Anything that is not sPvP or WvW is considered PvE.

2) No one can answer this question because no one has experienced end-game. But if you're asking about raids, no there are no raids. There are explorable dungeons, which are more or less 5-men raids.

3) Yes, gear plays no role whatsoever in sPvP, it's totally skill based.

4) sPvP is one team against an other (Blue vs Red). Teams can have multiple races and professions (classes). In WvW it's servers against each other. There are factions in game but they aren't part of character creation and only play a role in Lore.

5) ANet doesn't want you to skip content. You can travel quickly using portals but you have to unlock them first.

You will be doing the same things you did while leveling but now instead of focusing your efforts to get to level 80 you will be focusing on maximizing your build for dungeon runs by acquiring gear that fits your build. Their are lots of different stats out their that can be on gear and in the leveling process you might use things just cuz they are a higher level rather than having the correct additional stats, (like having a condition based build but using + healing stats on your gear)

That shouldnt take too long to do however. Then comes how do you want your character to look. Eventually your going to see players running around the max level zones and lower level zones, and even cities with really cool looking gear. And the way you get that gear is by farming tokens from dungeons. So to get a full dungeon set you will have to do multiple runs. And you can think of that as your "raid" content.

You also continue to gain experience after 80 and each level you dont gain more stats but continue to gain Skill Points which can be used for crafting legendary items. (200 SP per legendary it seems) So thats another reason to continue playing all the zones.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2012-08-24 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks I'm reading that thread but I can't help to wonder. what is there to do once you're max lvl since there are no raids?[COLOR="red"]
    Depends on what your idea of raiding is. If it is instanced, hard bosses, that drop the highest grade gear and can only be beaten by a well organized large premade group. Then no.

But there is still plenty to do, pretty sure someone already linked the video somewhere in this thread. Also, i heard 4 teens ended up hospitalized after playing a drinking game. Everytime Fencers says "Bimodal" they had to take a shot.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2012-08-24 at 05:35 PM.

Dynamic Events, PVP, Dungeons, crafting, exploring and complete the maps, achievements which are account wide, roll an alt, obtain your legendary weapon. But all these will not increase the power of your character..there is no gear progression to work for. So you don't have to do the dailies, cap your valor points, clear the raid, e.t.c. You just do all these to obtain cosmetic armor and for fun.
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-08-24 at 05:50 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Also, i heard 4 teens ended up hospitalized after playing a drinking game. Every time Fencers says "Bimodal" they had to take a shot.
    Signature worthy material right there.

OT: Most of your questions have been answered. I do want to add that the dodging mechanic adds a whole new dimension of skill involved in both PVE and PVP. If you are looking for a skill based game, play GW2. Also, at max level, more things are unlocked, but nothing is cut off. For example, in WoW, you don't really want to do stranglethorn vale quests at 85.. Those raptors are too low for you and its boring. GW2 gradually adds content as you level and never takes any that you've already unlocked away. Great concept, lets hope it is as fun and entertaining as it sounds.

Deleted
    thanks for thread, i just preordered earlier, and wanted to ask most of these same questions! the WvW thing sounds really awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    But there is still plenty to do, pretty sure someone already linked the video somewhere in this thread. Also, i heard 4 teens ended up hospitalized after playing a drinking game. Everytime Fencers says "Bimodal" they had to take a shot.
    XD

Key point of the entire franchise & major design difference from other MMOs on the market right now. I feel it has to be hammered home instead of the sloganeering of "endgame is at level1!"/"The whole game is endgame!"/"I killed some stuff in Orr! Endgame!".

Quite a lot of dumb in video games.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-24 at 06:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    XD

Key point of the entire franchise & major design difference from other MMOs on the market right now. I feel it has to be hammered home instead of the sloganeering of "endgame is at level1!"/"The whole game is endgame!"/"I killed some stuff in Orr! Endgame!".

Quite a lot of dumb in video games.
    /pats Fencers on the head

Honey, it's just no one knows wtf you're talking about when you say that.
    Most of the people on this site have played WoW at one time or another. We're just relaying the info to them in terms they'll understand

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 12:09 PM ----------

i.e., Terms they'll understand based on their past experience, not terms they'll understand because they're stupid.
    Valar morghulis