Thread: GW2 : Leveling

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

GW2 : Leveling

Am I missing something? I do the class quest story, and it jumps from lvl 2 ish - 6 - 8 - 10. I don't find any quests in between I just did the lvl 8 one @ lvl 5, and now I'm lvl 6 and the next quest is 10.

Grinding takes too long, only getting 8 xp a kill and the xp bar is over 4k.

Am I missing something?

Yes you're supposed to do the zone events and where the hearts are on the map do those to. Also you can pvp if you wish but I haven't had to yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Phearoids View Post
    Am I missing something? I do the class quest story, and it jumps from lvl 2 ish - 6 - 8 - 10. I don't find any quests in between I just did the lvl 8 one @ lvl 5, and now I'm lvl 6 and the next quest is 10.

Am I missing something?
    You are not supposed to do story quest - story quest - story quest. You are supposed to explore, find waypoints, make your way to vistas, explore points of interest, gather everything you see (i recommend this), try crafting and ofc, do all the events you stumble upon. I highly recommend completing a zone 100% as you get really nice rewards.

There is a weird gap and levelling is kinda annoying.
    On my Charr i did all events and i'm lvl 4, the next ones are level 6+ and the class quest is lvl 8+. I can barely hit lvl 6+ mobs and when i do it's like 20 damage.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

There's 4 other starting zones. Go check out what's going in the other races' starting zones. Explore Lion's Arch a bit as well.

World vs World gives some serious XP.

Deleted
    You can move to another race starting area, you'll roll over everything, and xp is actually very good because you are "down leveled", instead of down lvling reward,

I made human and norn starting area (no class quest) only the first hub supposed to get to lvl 4, and i ended up lvl 7 and half.

I don't know how to join PVP.

WvW disconnects me, and joining the world brings me character selection screen. I have to play via overflow and keep re-joining the que to stay online.

There are various ways to level up in the world. You're not meant to level purely through your personal story.

Look for the hearts/triangles/squares/whatever else on your map, and join any Dynamic Events you come by.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdpride View Post
    There is a weird gap and levelling is kinda annoying.
    On my Charr i did all events and i'm lvl 4, the next ones are level 6+ and the class quest is lvl 8+. I can barely hit lvl 6+ mobs and when i do it's like 20 damage.
    I personally feel like Plains of Ashford has least content after you hit lvl 5. I was lvl 6 when i killed Flame Shaman for first time and then went on to harpies and etc. After that i had to rly do everything, which i dont mind as im not rushing to get through the game.

Levelling is great if you join the dynamic events and do some exploring (and maybe even some crafting). See some vistas, find some points of interest etc. After level 6 I have been almost continually 1 level ahead of the personal story requirement.
    Last edited by kelevandros; 2012-08-25 at 09:22 PM.

Deleted
    I had this problem alot in beta , this time i'm actually taking time to explore / gather herbs etc.. and i can stay in my own area with same lvl.
    SO best thing is explore gather / lvl profs etc...

OP, to give you a reference : I am level 10 without having done any storyline quest, any grinding and haven't even finished the first zone (Queensdale). The idea is that leveling shouldn't be your goal, doing fun things is what you should be aiming for, so just go around and start exploring, do events (There are a lot of chain events, don't think that because you did an event in a zone there is nothing else to do in that zone. Events chain and branch), do some crafting, try to make your way to vistas, etc. WvW is also a huge XP source mostly because you just forget about the rush and by the time you're tired you find that you've leveled 3-4 times.

This thread reminded me of diablo 1. I remember reading comments like "I have this butcher quest, but when I try to kill it it 1shot me. what do?" Good times.

You are suppose to do events.It get me around 2-3 bars each event and it dont take more then 5 min each.

10+ Year Old Account

Am I missing something?
    You're not supposed to grind in GW2, that's why they made it give low EXP.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm leveling fast just running to events always one up

Am I missing something?
    Yes, doing one thing in a linear manner is not the way the games xp is designed for, its designed around people, going to multiple starting zones or crafting, or mixing it up between personal story and DEs and hearts, doing WvW, and flat out exploring, etc... I walked into Holbrak at level 7.5, I walked out of Holbrak after going to each PoI, Waypoint, Vista, and crafting about 3-5 things and I left Holbrak at level 9.8, 2.3 levels higher... not to mention you level just as fast going to a different starting zone and doing all their 1-6 stuff as you level doing level appropriate content, it doesn't penalize you for doing whatever level content, you get level appropriate xp regardless because of how the down scaling is set up. I have done two of the five level 1-6 content hearts, some crafting, exploring two of the 5 capitols, and am level 13 almost 14 without having stepped into any level 7+ content yet, just go out there and play the other starting zones and explore and craft, if you don't treat the game as in having to do only level appropriate content you will never be under leveled since if your doing everything you will be so far ahead in levels you can probably walk out of a level 30-40 zone as level 80 with out xp and down scaling is set up.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    You're not supposed to grind in GW2, that's why they made it give low EXP.
    This as well, crafting, exploring, doing DEs, and doing hearts all give great xp reguardless of level of content compared to your level, killing xp is almost negligible... the game encourages doing anything but mob grinding.
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-08-26 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhacker View Post
    the game encourages doing anything but mob grinding.
    so where does your gold come from if not mob farming.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been running around with my girlfriend, pretty much doing whatever we find. Before we were even level 10, we decided to fully explore Hoelbrak before doing anything else. As we go, we grab every PoI, do every Vista, clear every heart task, gather every crafting resource, and we alternate doing each other's personal stories. We've done some crafting, but haven't really done that much with it, because we're not throwing our money at the trading post. We make sure each one has every heart task done, do every event we pass by, even if we've done it, before moving on to a new area. We've even found some areas that aren't on the map, and have nothing truly special in them - they're just neat places to explore!

You know what I've found? I'm leveling too fast. I'm getting down-leveled by several levels, and the heart tasks can't keep up with me. Not that it really affects me negatively, because I'm still having a blast...

Really, don't worry about the levels. That's the best advice anybody can give for this game. Forget about the levels. Just run around, explore, bash stuff over the head, and save the day whenever you can.
    What's the rush anyways?
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-26 at 04:18 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    so where does your gold come from if not mob farming.
    Renown Hearts. Once you complete one, you receive money in your mail (click the mail icon on the top left of your screen to get your mail.