Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    Just an FYI. You can eat all your protein in 1 meal and or 20 meals it doesn't make a difference.
    Go to a sports medicine clinic, tell them you want a graph of your insulin levels in two separate 24hour periods. It shouldn't be very expensive.
    In day 1, eat 5 meals during the day (spread out evenly).
    In day 2, eat just 1 huge meal and eat nothing else for the rest of the day.

Now compare the graphs that show insulin level fluctuations in day 1 and day 2. Then realize that you're a moron who doesn't know the first thing about nutrition science.
    Last edited by Romeo83x; 2012-08-28 at 08:23 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    Go to a sports medicine clinic, tell them you want a graph of your insulin levels in two separate 24hour periods. It shouldn't be very expensive.

Now compare the graphs that show insulin level fluctuations in day 1 and day 2. Then realize that you're a moron who doesn't know the first thing about nutrition science.
    Or YOU can realize that you're a moron who doesnt know shit.

Why would a more steady insulin level be superior to a spikier one? I can imagine why it may be better for a diabetic but for the general population it makes no difference what their blood sugar levels are at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    Are there supplements that help speed up the healing process in muscle tears, sprains and strains?

I know a standard protein type shake kind of does this, but is there something that really pumps up the healing process?
    No. Voodoo magic doesn't work. If you sprain, strain, or tear a muscles you need to ice elevate and rest. The quickest way to recover is to actually rest. I doubt eating a ton of protein is going to make your muscles 'repair' faster.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 06:21 PM ----------

Insulin tracks blood sugar and complex carbohydrates that are broken down in the liver. (Fructose and other sugars that are generally awful for you and metabolize into fat). Not protein.

A lot of the 'experts' don't know shit about nutrition science, either, because the folks that seem to talk the most about the subject don't understand the molecular chemistry or how the body metabolizes energy. Years ago a high carb diet was the way to go, but turns out that was awful advice. Then it was go protein or go home, but turns out that's not a good idea, either. Then it was fats are AWFUL, then it was well, SOME fats are awful, and now it's actually, we need some of those fats. Recently it's been eat a ton of small meals through the day to "keep your metabolism up" which works fine for people that actually deplete their glycogen stores rapidly (like athletes) but not everyone else. People still use calories to determine what they eat and treat food as though it were a flame heating water rather than a chemical factory.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 06:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Why would a more steady insulin level be superior to a spikier one? I can imagine why it may be better for a diabetic but for the general population it makes no difference what their blood sugar levels are at any given time.
    Your body can build insulin resistance over time which can lead to diabetes. So, you don't necessarily want your insulin to go nuts. That said, that's a problem having to do with people taking in far more carbs and sugars than they use - it goes hand in hand with weight gain, not when you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    No. Voodoo magic doesn't work. If you sprain, strain, or tear a muscles you need to ice elevate and rest. The quickest way to recover is to actually rest. I doubt eating a ton of protein is going to make your muscles 'repair' faster.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 06:21 PM ----------

Insulin tracks blood sugar and complex carbohydrates that are broken down in the liver. (Fructose and other sugars that are generally awful for you and metabolize into fat). Not protein.

A lot of the 'experts' don't know shit about nutrition science, either, because the folks that seem to talk the most about the subject don't understand the molecular chemistry or how the body metabolizes energy. Years ago a high carb diet was the way to go, but turns out that was awful advice. Then it was go protein or go home, but turns out that's not a good idea, either. Then it was fats are AWFUL, then it was well, SOME fats are awful, and now it's actually, we need some of those fats. Recently it's been eat a ton of small meals through the day to "keep your metabolism up" which works fine for people that actually deplete their glycogen stores rapidly (like athletes) but not everyone else. People still use calories to determine what they eat and treat food as though it were a flame heating water rather than a chemical factory.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 06:23 PM ----------

Your body can build insulin resistance over time which can lead to diabetes. So, you don't necessarily want your insulin to go nuts. That said, that's a problem having to do with people taking in far more carbs and sugars than they use - it goes hand in hand with weight gain, not when you eat.
    Eh, I think you are speaking out of your ass a bit. I use to be diabetic so I studied a lot about it, have a background in biology, and come from a family of doctors with whom I've discussed the subject. I have never seen of or heard of any study that demonstrates a strict correlation between diet type and insulin resistance. Your hypothesis that spikes in insulin could develop resistance is not illogical, it is simply unfounded. All the studies I've seen show there is a correlation between metabolic syndrome (abdominal obesity, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, low hdl, general poor health) and insulin resistance. Poor eating habits combined with lack of adequate exercise could clearly cause metabolic syndrome but I have never seen a study that shows that eating more than one meal a day in at all effects ones health.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-08-28 at 06:38 PM.

Spiky insulin will result in an eventual insulin resistance buildup aka diabetes.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 06:40 PM ----------

Stopped reading there. Google "protein insulin response" or ask your biochem professor to explain this to you.

Spiky insulin will result in an eventual insulin resistance buildup aka diabetes.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 06:40 PM ----------

Stopped reading there. Google "protein insulin response" or ask your biochem professor to explain this to you.
    Okay, I'll be more explicit. There's a slight insulin spike associated with consuming a high protein low carb meal. Unless we're talking about someone with type 2 diabetes. Are we doing that?

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 08:06 PM ----------

Eh, I think you are speaking out of your ass a bit. I use to be diabetic so I studied a lot about it, have a background in biology, and come from a family of doctors with whom I've discussed the subject. I have never seen of or heard of any study that demonstrates a strict correlation between diet type and insulin resistance. Your hypothesis that spikes in insulin could develop resistance is not illogical, it is simply unfounded. All the studies I've seen show there is a correlation between metabolic syndrome (abdominal obesity, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, low hdl, general poor health) and insulin resistance. Poor eating habits combined with lack of adequate exercise could clearly cause metabolic syndrome but I have never seen a study that shows that eating more than one meal a day in at all effects ones health.
    I don't think you read what I wrote carefully or perhaps you confused posters.

Poor eating habits combined with lack of adequate exercise could clearly cause metabolic syndrome but I have never seen a study that shows that eating more than one meal a day in at all effects ones health.
    I have that same conclusion. I was criticizine that idea that eating a lot of small meals is better than eating a few comparative larger ones. What matters is your total daily intake and what you eat. Not so much when you eat it.

You use to be a diabetic? Do you mean you have your diabetes under control through diet and exercise rather than relying on insulin? Diabetes is a chronic, life long illness. You don't 'recover' from it and stop being diabetic. You can manage it if you're type 2 to the point where you don't need insulin shots, but you're still diabetic.

I'd have thought someone with diabetes would know better than that.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pub...istance/#cause
    Last edited by Drakain; 2012-08-28 at 08:10 PM.

Okay, I'll be more explicit. There's a slight insulin spike associated with consuming a high protein low carb meal. Unless we're talking about someone with type 2 diabetes. Are we doing that?

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 08:06 PM ----------

I don't think you read what I wrote carefully or perhaps you confused posters.

I have that same conclusion. I was criticizine that idea that eating a lot of small meals is better than eating a few comparative larger ones. What matters is your total daily intake and what you eat. Not so much when you eat it.

You use to be a diabetic? Do you mean you have your diabetes under control through diet and exercise rather than relying on insulin? Diabetes is a chronic, life long illness. You don't 'recover' from it and stop being diabetic. You can manage it if you're type 2 to the point where you don't need insulin shots, but you're still diabetic.

I'd have thought someone with diabetes would know better than that.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pub...istance/#cause

I use to be diabetic. I had a 58 inch waist and weighed 300 lbs. I never used insulin. Within 3 months of being diagnosed (my doctor listed me as prediabetic for insurance reasons but I was in fact diabetic), I had gotten my blood sugar level under control through metforman, diet and exercise. However, ever since I got below the 40 inch waist barrier, I stopped taking the medication and I was fine. Once I got below 35, I stopped worrying about my diet. I am down to a 30-32 inch waist and weigh 180-190 lbs. I do not "manage" it. I eat whatever I want now and my blood sugar stays normal. I do run 3-12 miles a day and lift 4 days a week but I dont watch my diet. Gonna go make myself some ice cream.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-08-29 at 02:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    L-glutamine might be worth looking into. Don't know a lot about it, don't know if its legit, but apparently your body uses a lot of it to make new cells.

I use to be diabetic. I had a 58 inch waist and weighed 300 lbs. I never used insulin. Within 3 months of being diagnosed (my doctor listed me as prediabetic for insurance reasons but I was in fact diabetic), I had gotten my blood sugar level under control through metforman, diet and exercise. However, ever since I got below the 40 inch waist barrier, I stopped taking the medication and I was fine. Once I got below 35, I stopped worrying about my diet. I am down to a 30-32 inch waist and weigh 180-190 lbs. I do not "manage" it. I eat whatever I want now and my blood sugar stays normal. I do run 3-12 miles a day and lift 4 days a week but I dont watch my diet. Gonna go make myself some ice cream.
    Good for you. Weight management and exercise qualify as managing your diabetes. I'd be curious whether you have normal blood sugar levels before and and after eating and after fasting, but sounds like you don't track that.

21 to 60 miles a week is a lot to run! That's coming from someone that does triathlons for fun. Are you training for a marathon?
    Last edited by Drakain; 2012-08-29 at 08:31 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    it depends how severe, but a quick boost of protein and carbs after the workout is probably the most important to get the muscles recovering straight away, for more serious injuries I think there probably will be more suppliments claiming to help further. But most important is the protein/carbs and then rest imo

Good for you. Weight management and exercise qualify as managing your diabetes. I'd be curious whether you have normal blood sugar levels before and and after eating and after fasting, but sounds like you don't track that.

21 to 60 miles a week is a lot to run! That's coming from someone that does triathlons for fun. Are you training for a marathon?
    Naw, just do it for fun and relaxation. I also wrestle at a local high school when its in season. Running every day, im told, is a bad thing to do if you are training for a sporting event.

10+ Year Old Account
    Naw, just do it for fun and relaxation. I also wrestle at a local high school when its in season. Running every day, im told, is a bad thing to do if you are training for a sporting event.
    ... the more posts i read of yours the more i want to bang my head on my desk... please stop giving people horrible fitness advice if you don't know what you're talking about. The only way to build endurance up for marathons and events is to repeatedly do them so your body becomes used to it. You will never be able to run a long distatnce if you only run 3 miles two or three times a week. Yes your body needs rest but realistically as long as you stay hydrated and keep your muscles and joints in good condition then there's nothing wrong with running 5-6 days a week. Now lifting everyday with the same muscle group is a whole other story.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

Deleted
    What I would recommend to do for post-workout recovery is taking a whey protein shake + 1 or 2 bananas immediately after your workout. This should provide your depleted
    muscles with the protein and carbs they need. Also, keep your overall nutrition in check and consume enough protein and carbs throughout the day so that your muscles can rebuild themselves and don't forget that sleep is a really important factor when it comes to recovery: try to get in 7 to 8 hours of sleep each day. I know this can be sometimes hard depending on your work/study shedule but it really makes a big difference. If after all that you still feel that you aren't recovering fast enough, it means that you're overtraining.

I've actually found some things that might help. Both Arnica and L-Carnitine are sometimes used post-op to help speed up the recovery process these days.