Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    People shouldn't be banned though. Just flag the character for a name change when they next login.
    I think a 3day suspension or something like that would work better. not a permaban unless you keep making characters with inappropriate names. as i can see from wow they need a little more than being flagged for name change to learn better.
    Last edited by strangebreed; 2012-08-26 at 09:15 AM.
    I'd torture a thousand souls just to see her smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkthugal View Post
    "My name only contains a masked racial epithet! I don't understand why I was banned!"

Seriously?
    This.

You seriously had it coming.

I'll give in and say that a permanent ban is over the top though, three days and a forced name change is more appropriate.
    Last edited by lolvik; 2012-08-26 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If I beat a woman to death and say "she committed adultery" it wouldn't be acceptable in most of the world but if I did it in certain parts of Pakistan/Saudi it would be perfectly ok.

Just because it's supposedly acceptable one place, does NOT automatically make it acceptable in another one. It's a different company, different rules. Stop clinging to that argument that's thinner than paper. It's just crap.
    You are reading way to much into this. I completely understand why I got banned. I understand the name is "racist" and it can offend people. I have also had 100's of people message me on games saying how they love the humor in my name. I do think a permaban is harsh for just a name but shit happens and If they don't change their mind i'll just have to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    So you feel you shouldn't be banned for using derogatory and offensive names? Cmon, seriously...

Also, I see no reason to close a threat that could inform people on codes of conduct. Yes, it should be common sense, but games like wow, where anything is acceptable, have spoiled people too much.
    Oh noes the words, they offends my eyes, burn them! burn them at the stake!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneegapls View Post
    I just got perma banned because of my name, which is kneegapls. I know the name is not "appropriate" but I do have it in every other game I play and have never had a problem. I guess it's not an excuse but I do feel like it's a bit harsh.
    Deserved tbh, if you don't see the issue with it then I suggest getting back into society for a week or two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantheal View Post
    I am just saying that everyone reading this has been to 1st grade or has a mother. Maybe I shouldn't assume but I am pretty sure that all of our teachers in 1st grade or your mother when you were a child laid out some basic rules on how to act in public. I would bet if you followed those basic rules you would not get banned.
    point taken, however i think you could have done better conversation without
    flaming me. regardless- i respect your opinion but i will not respond to you from now on.

Personaly i fully suport this ... being WAY harder on the * LULZ I CAN SAY Í WANT AND BE A PLAGUE* kinda people that find it fun to *troll* around this includes the * i-am-so-smart-i-can-swear-or-name-my-toon-what-ever-i-want-if-i-just-move-the-letters-around-or-spell-it-studiply* players many many of these people are the base of whats wrong with the playerbase of any online game.

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Personaly i fully suport this ... being WAY harder on the * LULZ I CAN SAY Í WANT AND BE A PLAGUE* kinda people that find it fun to *troll* around this includes the * i-am-so-smart-i-can-swear-or-name-my-toon-what-ever-i-want-if-i-just-move-the-letters-around-or-spell-it-studiply* players many many of these people are the base of whats wrong with the playerbase of any online game.
    This is exactly right. So sick of the stupid names and trolls in every game acting as if they're so smart. Ban them all i say!

with everything im hearing im glad i didnt buy the game. ill stick to wow where i can be insanely offensive and get a slap on the wrist at worst, it's the internet, people need to lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Deserved tbh, if you don't see the issue with it then I suggest getting back into society for a week or two.

Deserved? You've got to be kidding me. Perhaps he deserved a warning or a flagged name change. That is not anywhere close to deserving of any kind of ban though, especially not permanent.

In the end, only in the US is this stuff actually an issue. People need to move on.
    Last edited by Keldrath; 2012-08-26 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldrath View Post
    Deserved? You've got to be kidding me. Perhaps he deserved a warning or a flagged name change. That is not anywhere close to deserving of any kind of ban though, especially not permanent.

In the end, only in the US is this stuff actually an issue. People need to move on.
    You don't deserve a warning when you do something consciously. It wasn't an error, it wasn't ignorance, no it was a name made with a sole purpose. Just like this other dude who got banned for naming is bear: "pedobear".

Guess who reported him.

Quote Originally Posted by peteypuff View Post
    with everything im hearing im glad i didnt buy the game. ill stick to wow where i can be insanely offensive and get a slap on the wrist at worst, it's the internet, people need to lighten up.
    or they need to act a little more civilized, being offensive just because you can is not exactly what i would label as civilized behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    You don't deserve a warning when you do something consciously. It wasn't an error, it wasn't ignorance, no it was a name made with a sole purpose. Just like this other dude who got banned for naming is bear: "pedobear".

Guess who reported him.
    If you seriously think someone deserves to be permanently banned from playing a video game because he named his character something offensive then I highly suggest you get your head checked. A warning and a name-change are appropriate punishments. Perma ban is not. To draw a real life example that's like saying someone who committed a misdemeanor deserves the death penalty.

I guess arenanet can be heavier handed on their bans since, unlike wow, they have no subscription, so they have already got all the money you're ever going to pay them

so you'll just buy another copy (and I know you will!) and then they get your money twice

and in the extremely unlikely event you do not buy a copy, they have got rid of a little child from being a prick in game - win win

Deleted
    Wow, sounds like they're going way OTT on these bans. Permabanned for a name? Jeez. What's wrong with a simple enforced name change? And banned for swearing? Don't they have a mature language filter?

Deleted
    If you seriously think someone deserves to be permanently banned from playing a video game because he named his character something offensive then I highly suggest you get your head checked. A warning and a name-change are appropriate punishments. Perma ban is not. To draw a real life example that's like saying someone who committed a misdemeanor deserves the death penalty.
    Nice job comparing a ban from a video game to the death penalty, genius. Why don't you think a bit before you share your "thoughts", spare yourself some grief.

In real life any good establishment will ban you for life if you walk inside wearing a T-shirt with a racial slur on it. This is the example you were looking for I think.. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by HarimaKenji View Post
    Nice job comparing a ban from a video game to the death penalty, genius. Why don't you think a bit before you share your "thoughts", spare yourself some grief.

In real life any good establishment will ban you for life if you walk inside wearing a T-shirt with a racial slur on it. This is the example you were looking for I think.. I hope.
    How is it different? A perma ban is the most severe punishment you can get in game. In real life the death penalty is the most severe punishment you can get. Both of them permanently remove you.

There is some serious problems with your "thinking" if you think a minor infraction is deserving of the most severe punishment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    I saw something posted on the GW2 Twitter about someone getting a 72hr suspension on a first offense for map chat slander. I was quite impressed actually. If you absolutely need to talk trash to get your point across/ wanna sound like a bad ass/ intentionally using inappropriate language in chats or even character names, then a short suspension is justly deserved imho.
    A temp ban feels appropriate to me.
    But a *perma* ban on first offence does seem harsh.

Edit: harassing and threatening would be a good candidate for perma ban without warning IMO.
    But not an offensive name (unless the person keeps choosing offensive names). A week of ban should be enough to make them think again.
    Last edited by mmoce6d6578c3b; 2012-08-26 at 10:07 AM.

...how on EARTH is it possible to get banned on the first day? Are they so incredibly strict with names? Well...I suppose it's needed since I've seen people with zero imagination and creativity name their toons "Irn''ga" (black male norn) and all sorts of things that just do not belong in this game or any other...but especially not this one!!!

I've never been banned from any online game and I plan to keep it that way. Been banned temporarily once from the official WoW forums, infracted and banned from these forums (not permanent obviously...) and those experiences taught me to improve the way I form my responses to idiotic posts.

---------- Post added 2012-08-26 at 10:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by peteypuff View Post
    You're in for a nasty surprise. If enough people report your name, and you then get another name of the same sort, you'll get banned in WoW too. Hell I even know a Guild master who got his guild flagged for rename and himself banned because of how he named it...and I shall not utter those words here.

/knows plenty of people getting temporarily banned and then permabanned because they were too stupid to make up a proper name without profanity in it. Of course they, given the personality, often had other wrongs in their record as well.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-08-26 at 10:17 AM.

Deleted
    How is it different? A perma ban is the most severe punishment you can get in game. In real life the death penalty is the most severe punishment you can get. Both of them permanently remove you.
    I.. don't... even... I'll throw you another one.

For a child misbehaving in a sandbox, throwing sand into other children's eyes, the most severe punishment a child can think of is being banned from that sandbox.

There is some serious problems with your "thinking" if you think a minor infraction is deserving of the most severe punishment.
    I guess the person that got banned also considered this "a minor infraction", hey it's just a game right? Lets start taking responsibility for what we babble about on the internet, especially if we are doing it on accounts that have our real name on file. If you consider throwing around racial slurs in a video game not a big deal though, how about you apply the same logic to your opinion about bans in said game.
    Last edited by mmoc8c51ebc480; 2012-08-26 at 10:17 AM.