Connection Error..retrying. Any guess what causes this?

Sitting next to two computers. One runs GW2 no problem, can get into the game instantly, no hitches. On the other though...the patcher stalls at 0% - connection error, retrying. Same GW2 install (on detachable harddrive); same connection (LAN). My guess is software problems. My laptop that has problems though has its firewall / antivirus disabled. I even tried booting into safe mode with networking, still the same issue.

Any other guesses?

Run as admin? like you said, this is just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Run as admin? like you said, this is just a guess.
    Yeap, tried that too.

Computers have different versions of windows (the offender has Vista, while the one that has no issues has 7), but I don't see how that should be an issue.

If you are having problems running Guild Wars 2, the data archive may have become corrupted. Please follow these steps to verify and repair the archive:

Locate your Gw2.exe file.
    Right-click on the file and select Create shortcut.
    Rename this new shortcut to Guild Wars 2 Repair.
    Right-click on Guild Wars 2 Repair and select Properties.
    Locate the Target line and add -repair to the end.
    Example: “C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\gw2.exe” -repair
    Click OK.
    I had the same problem this morning when first turning on this fixed it. Once loaded, close the game and launch as normal with the normal .exe
    Last edited by Queeg; 2012-08-26 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queeg View Post
    I had the same problem this morning when first turning on this fixed it. Once loaded, close the game and launch as normal with the normal .exe
    But I am only having troubles running GW2 on my laptop. The same build has no issues running on my desktop. To be clear: I literally unplug the harddrive with GW2 from the laptop, replug it into the desktop and it runs fine. I plug it back into the laptop, it can't get past the patcher. It has to be a software issue, but I have no idea what because it does so even in a -safe mode-, with minimum software running.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a classic port forwarding issue. Incoming connections to a port (the port the patcher uses) can only be forwarded to one computer on the network. You will have to change that port (go to patcher options) to something else on the computer that is having problems and then go into your router settings and forward that port to the computer's internal IP address. Also enable UPnP on the router.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Sounds like a classic port forwarding issue. Incoming connections to a port (the port the patcher uses) can only be forwarded to one computer on the network. You will have to change that port (go to patcher options) to something else on the computer that is having problems and then go into your router settings and forward that port to the computer's internal IP address. Also enable UPnP on the router.
    I was thinking it might be ports, but they must be using some obscure ports then, because I have no issues at all with any other online game.

Its also a corporate network, so I can't really do anything about the ports.

Also patcher settings aren't available from the patcher screen :x