Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    i knew people were going to be unhappy about some things in the game... but this? you've got to kidding me.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    These aren't fiends. These are undead monsters. These monsters are crafted from flesh and bones and sinew of dead things.

A fiend is a demon. These are not demons.

I do not think it's unreasonable to not use skeletons.
    While I completely agree with you, the minions are called fiends and horrors in the game. However, they are still undead because they are beasts made out of the flesh and bones of the dead and reanimated. They are like Abominations in WoW, just not as big.

I tried the Necromancer class, i didnt like it. It just didnt felt like the Necromancer i would have imagined.

But its fine, to anyone their own, i'm fine with my ranger and my guardian, both of them do feel like i imagined and i like them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by panterarules View Post
    I think Necromancers were originally just manipulators of earth and spirits until Diablo 2.
    You do not have any idea what you are saying obviously, if you have played Heroes of might and magic 2 had necronmancer class and the city which was based around skeletons, zombie, vampires and bone dragons, so i would call that necromancer. And the most iconic character as the necromancer is the one and only Sandro.

so, OP is mad because he bought an MMO with a pre-existing class from their last game, did zero research on it, and is now crying foul?

LOLOL, its your own fault for not looking into it. you know what they say about making assumptions......

Did this topic seriously go on for 8 pages?

Fact: GW necromancer summons are created from body parts and dead flesh...Sounds a lot like abominations. I guess WoW abominations arnt undead by the logic being thrown around by some people. You should also go to the Final Fantasy boards and yell at square how they named their FF10 monsters "fiends"

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    What you think is typical, boring, bland and over used, I think is the STAPLE OF THE CLASS.

There is no way you can sit here and TRULY believe that a "fiend" which doesn't even resemble a human being's raised corpse (or any sort of corpse) is more necromancer like than warlock.

I understand that you're very likely a hard core fan boy and just want to sit here and believe that GW2 didn't make any mistakes with their game, but they did.

You don't call a class a necromancer and make it NOT a necromancer. If you were to go around and randomly ask ANYONE what they thought a necromancer was most known for, they'd almost for certain say "Raising undead"

And Tyrven. they called it a necromancer, not me. A necromancer already has a very defined definition. A "Snofflelofflegollywhateverthefuckyousaid" doesn't have a defined definition, so that COULD be anything.

Also I have no idea how its over used to have a necromancer that actually USES UNDEAD. The last game I remember that had TRUE necromancers was DAoC. And they had TWO Classes that could have been necromancers. The actual necromancer and the bone dancer. THOSE are real necromancers. What they have here is something entirely different.
    A necromancer is a sorcerer who communicates with spirits and the dead, usually for divination. They don't have to raise anything to be a Necromancer and it certainly doesn't have to be a skeleton or zombie as you suggest, you have misconceptions and do not know the actual meaning. That is your fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Class uses blood and disease magic and summons blood and flesh minions. Arenanet calls it necromancer rather than Fleshandbloodmancer.

"OMG IT DOESN'T SUMMON SKELETONS AND YOU CALLED IT A NECROMANCER, I AM TEH OUTRAGED ARENANET GRRRR!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is this thread going on?

It's devolved into either mindlessly bashing the OP, or debating semantics of the words necromancer and warlock.

Everything that can be said has been said. If you are fine with Necromancer being what it is, there's no need to say it more. If you want normal skeletons and zombies, wait until the official forums are up, and tell Arena Net your opinion.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-27 at 07:25 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I demand anet change the classes name to Fuzzybunnymancer

10+ Year Old Account
    the reason you "create" the minions instead of exploiting a corpse is purely game mechanic, they didnt want to force MMs to have to kill soemthing for a minion and to allow for the "minion bomber" playstyle what with the chain skills

you arent summoning

you are still animating bones and flesh

quit bitching
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

I understand that you're very likely a hard core fan boy and just want to sit here and believe that GW2 didn't make any mistakes with their game, but they did.
    The MMO F-bomb: always the sign of a poor and losing argument.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Wow at that OP, so overly and openly aggressive against any form of criticism, just because his own pre-concieved notions of what a "necromancer" should be are being contested. Arenanet's form of a Necromancer has existed for a long long time, just because you failed to find this out before the sequel launched doesn't make the developers lazy, it makes them consistant.

The necromancer sacrifices blood/health to perform certain spells, he raises fiends/creatures of bone/flesh/spirit into the world, he performs rites (wells). All of these fit nicely with the traditional and old-age view of necromancy. A man suspected of performing necromancy wasn't suspected of summoning little skeletons in his house, he was suspected of dealing with dead-spirits (which Guildwar's Nec does), placing curses on people, performing sacrifice and your general witchcraft gubbins.

You need to take a damn chillpill and take second to look past the one-track approach you seem to take to the impression you got of something in the past.

Its far more similiar to a warlock.

I mean, they don't even raise undead minions, they create fiends.

Doesn't make sense to create something called a necromancer and not give them a single skeleton-like pet.

So now I have no idea what to play in GW2 or even if I want to play it.
    I'm wondering how a post from a player who apparently hasn't even looked into the skills of the class grew to this multi-page fiasco.

God, I love the internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by styopa View Post
    My point being it has NOTHING to do (specifically) with "raising" the dead to deploy as combatants, or attacking people with death magic, or any of the crap we've seen (and that the OP asserts as 'fact' to justify his rage) associated with the class.

Now, word meanings change all the time; however my point is that gnashing one's teeth over a company having a different interpretation of a specific word is fairly silly.
    You know necromancer isn't just raising the dead? I play a Necromancer and I don't use a single minion ability.

What you think is typical, boring, bland and over used, I think is the STAPLE OF THE CLASS.

There is no way you can sit here and TRULY believe that a "fiend" which doesn't even resemble a human being's raised corpse (or any sort of corpse) is more necromancer like than warlock.

You don't call a class a necromancer and make it NOT a necromancer. If you were to go around and randomly ask ANYONE what they thought a necromancer was most known for, they'd almost for certain say "Raising undead"

And Tyrven. they called it a necromancer, not me. A necromancer already has a very defined definition. A "Snofflelofflegollywhateverthefuckyousaid" doesn't have a defined definition, so that COULD be anything.

Also I have no idea how its over used to have a necromancer that actually USES UNDEAD. The last game I remember that had TRUE necromancers was DAoC. And they had TWO Classes that could have been necromancers. The actual necromancer and the bone dancer. THOSE are real necromancers. What they have here is something entirely different.
    Actually this whole post is nothing but you attempting to force your own interpretation of what a necromancer is down people's throat. Anet didnt make the mistake here: you just cant accept that someone disagrees with you.

For reference, here is my own:
    Necromancer = death magic.
    Warlock = demonic magic.

It has nothing to do with the appearance of your summons, its about what type of magic you use. The GW2 class is all about death and pestilence, not about fire and brimstones. Ergo, it is a Necromancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    as far as necros in GW go... what`s up with the "Curses" Trait tree... we only have like 1 DoT, the bleed. And it`s damage seams crap.
    What am I missing

Deleted
    Diablo 2 necromancers also had skeletons. A LOT OF THEM. I was able to look past golems (Even though I feel like they are more fitting of an elementalist or theurigist than a necromancer) because I could look past them. I wasn't forced to use them.

I've yet to see any definition that states necromancers create only abominations. While I don't think its a stretch that they could, I think being able to simply SUMMON DEAD BODIES as a necromancer would sort of fit it nicely.

I've yet to see any definition that states necromancers raise only skeletons. While I don't think its a stretch that they could, I think being able to simply SUMMON FLESH/BLOOD/BONE FIENDS as a necromancer would sort of fit it nicely.

Using your own reasoning, here you go!

Deleted
    You people really make internet taste bad.

You need to calm down....it's just a game...Jesus. There isn't that huge of a difference between warlocks and necromancers in the first place; they are both dark classes. How they are done is up to the developer. What DAoC did was not what a necromancer is SUPPOSED to be. It's a fantasy character, it can be whatever someone wants it to be.