Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why does GW2 call the necromancer a necromancer?

Its far more similiar to a warlock.

I mean, they don't even raise undead minions, they create fiends.

Doesn't make sense to create something called a necromancer and not give them a single skeleton-like pet.

So now I have no idea what to play in GW2 or even if I want to play it.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2012-08-26 at 05:49 PM.

They could call it a snugglebunnylollipop and it wouldn't change what the class does or how it plays. Don't get so caught up in names and what your preconceptions tell you it should be.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, necromancers should be more similar to WoW's Death Knights. Even though I haven't gotten to playing GW2 yet, this kind of bothers me a little bit, but I guess they're similar enough. Maybe necromancers are defined differently in the GW2 universe? I guess it shouldn't matter though.
    Last edited by Nearmyth; 2012-08-26 at 05:51 PM.
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Its far more similiar to a warlock.

I mean, they don't even raise undead minions, they create fiends.

Doesn't make sense to create something called a necromancer and not give them a single skeleton-like pet.

So now I have no idea what to play in GW2 or even if I want to play it.
    Just because they don't get the basic skeleton minion doesn't mean they're not a necromancer. They raise undead creatures from beyond the grave, they're just not typical, boring, bland, over-used.. zombies and skeletons. They get a bit more creative.

They're not a warlock, because a warlock would summon demons, not creatures from the corpses of something dead. A "fiend" is an evil spirit or demon, not a monster crafted from the flesh and souls of the dead.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Just because they don't get the basic skeleton minion doesn't mean they're not a necromancer. They raise undead creatures from beyond the grave, they're just not typical, boring, bland, over-used.. zombies and skeletons. They get a bit more creative.

They're not a warlock, because a warlock would summon demons, not creatures from the corpses of something dead. A "fiend" is an evil spirit or demon, not a monster crafted from the flesh and souls of the dead.
    What you think is typical, boring, bland and over used, I think is the STAPLE OF THE CLASS.

There is no way you can sit here and TRULY believe that a "fiend" which doesn't even resemble a human being's raised corpse (or any sort of corpse) is more necromancer like than warlock.

I understand that you're very likely a hard core fan boy and just want to sit here and believe that GW2 didn't make any mistakes with their game, but they did.

You don't call a class a necromancer and make it NOT a necromancer. If you were to go around and randomly ask ANYONE what they thought a necromancer was most known for, they'd almost for certain say "Raising undead"

And Tyrven. they called it a necromancer, not me. A necromancer already has a very defined definition. A "Snofflelofflegollywhateverthefuckyousaid" doesn't have a defined definition, so that COULD be anything.

Also I have no idea how its over used to have a necromancer that actually USES UNDEAD. The last game I remember that had TRUE necromancers was DAoC. And they had TWO Classes that could have been necromancers. The actual necromancer and the bone dancer. THOSE are real necromancers. What they have here is something entirely different.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2012-08-26 at 05:59 PM.

They were called necromancers when GW1 first came out, which was when WoW came out. Guess it stayed the same way.

I think Necromancers were originally just manipulators of earth and spirits until Diablo 2.

What you think is typical, boring, bland and over used, I think is the STAPLE OF THE CLASS.

There is no way you can sit here and TRULY believe that a "fiend" which doesn't even resemble a human being's raised corpse (or any sort of corpse) is more necromancer like than warlock.

I understand that you're very likely a hard core fan boy and just want to sit here and believe that GW2 didn't make any mistakes with their game, but they did.

You don't call a class a necromancer and make it NOT a necromancer. If you were to go around and randomly ask ANYONE what they thought a necromancer was most known for, they'd almost for certain say "Raising undead"

And Tyrven. they called it a necromancer, not me. A necromancer already has a very defined definition. A "Snofflelofflegollywhateverthefuckyousaid" doesn't have a defined definition, so that COULD be anything.
    I... think you're being a little bit unreasonable. And overly angry. Calm down.

For starters, a necromancer? It's a fantasy class. It doesn't actually exist. It does not HAVE an established definition. The GW2 necromancer seems to fit it just fine, for me. To me, a necromancer is somebody who deals in unholy arts and in raising unholy creatures. It's a broad definition, and the GW2 necromancer meets it just fine.

Also, again... calm down. Woah.

Summoner would perhaps be a better name for the class.

10+ Year Old Account

These aren't fiends. These are undead monsters. These monsters are crafted from flesh and bones and sinew of dead things.

A fiend is a demon. These are not demons.

I do not think it's unreasonable to not use skeletons.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

The Guild Wars Necromancer has always been known by it's use of plagues, curses, afflictions, dealing with powers of life and death and control of dead things...which, in this case, are undead versions of creatures/animals (or if not that, an amalgamation of the bones and flesh of dead things into an animated being) rather than undead versions of humans or controlling specters.

Furthermore, the STAPLE OF THE CLASS when it comes to Warlocks is consorting with and controlling demons. There's not a demon in sight around the Necromancer.

Quote Originally Posted by panterarules View Post
    I think Necromancers were originally just manipulators of earth and spirits until Diablo 2.
    :/ No, just no. Diablo 2 did not create the "necromancer controls the dead" stereotype due to the fact that the word "NECROMANCER" actually means Controller of the Dead.

Also raising something from the dead/using plague-like magic is Necromancer all over. Warlock is Demons and Fel Energy.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Deleted
    wow

just... ugh...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot of people would say the profession feels like a Necromancer. Which is probably the important bit.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    Summoner would perhaps be a better name for the class.
    Except it does not summon so to speak, it Raises things from the Dead.
    Last edited by Pool of the Dead; 2012-08-26 at 06:05 PM.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

They summon undead creatures and turn into lich's. WoW is not a definitive definition of what classes should be named. Necromancers have death magic, blood magic, curses and soul reaping in the Guild Wars Universe. In early betas you could summon 5+ undead minions, but you have to wait until higher levels to do that on live. In the first game, Minion Masters could have 10+ undead at their disposal.
    To deny something outright is to show a lack of imagination. Everything can be successful. Adaptation and innovation.

To say "nobody wants this" is to show how closed minded one can truly be. Think outside the box and reveal an intelligent person.

Deleted
    Thats what turned off of the Necromancer prof aswell.

Man, I wish to play something like the old Necro in Lineage 2. With several undead pets, debuffs and his CURSED BONE SPIKE!

So Grasping Dead, Summon Bone Fiend, Summon Shadow Fiend (essentially a specter), and Summon Flesh Golem are not Necromantic arts? That's news to me.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    These aren't fiends. These are undead monsters. These monsters are crafted from flesh and bones and sinew of dead things.

A fiend is a demon. These are not demons.

I do not think it's unreasonable to not use skeletons.
    Then why is it called a BLOOD FIEND?

I mean seriously, use your brain.

Then why is it called a BLOOD FIEND?

I mean seriously, use your brain.
    Because "fiend" is a generalized term meaning dark creature?

Drake isn't actually using the proper definition of it, by-the-by.
    Last edited by Chrysia; 2012-08-26 at 06:09 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.