Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by panterarules View Post
    I think Necromancers were originally just manipulators of earth and spirits until Diablo 2.
    Necromancers have ALWAYS been masters of the undead. What you're thinking of is something of a cross between a GEOmancer (masters of the earth and elements) and a typical shaman (masters over the spirit realm... NOT a WoW shaman)

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not the best choice of name to call it a Blood Fiend.

The minion's model looks like the back half of a giant rat corpse.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-26 at 06:11 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Just like the guy above you said, fiends are demons. The first pet you get is a BLOOD FIEND.

---------- Post added 2012-08-26 at 06:10 PM ----------

The guy JUST SAID Fiend means demon and that necromancers don't use them. Lol?

Read his post, then read mine. Its not difficult to understand.
    Actually Fiend means "Evil Spirit OR Demon" The OR being the main part there, since one could very well see an undead creature risen from the dead to kill things as an "Evil Spirit" and not a Demon
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Because "fiend" is a generalized term meaning dark creature?

Drake isn't actually using the proper definition of it, by-the-by.
    If I type "fiend" into Google, and the definition thing comes up with that, it's definitely the popular definition.

Either way, the key thing is that it's not a Warlock, as a Warlock summons demons from some otherworldly shadow realm. O_o
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-26 at 06:13 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Probably not the best choice of name to call it a Blood Fiend.

The minion's model looks like the back half of a giant rat corpse.
    The whole thing is them using the generalized form of "fiend." There are many definitions. The oldest being "demon or evil spirit," the more recent, generalized form being any dark creature.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    They could call it a snugglebunnylollipop and it wouldn't change what the class does or how it plays. Don't get so caught up in names and what your preconceptions tell you it should be.

Serious? Lets just name every class CLASS and be done with it. While we at it, lets throw out the dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Because "fiend" is a generalized term meaning dark creature?

Drake isn't actually using the proper definition of it, by-the-by.

fiend (fnd)
    n.
    a. An evil spirit; a demon.

Definition of FIEND
    a : devil 1 b : demon c : a person of great wickedness or maliciousness

fiend
       [feend]
    noun
    Satan; the devil.
    any evil spirit; demon.

Need I go on? Thats just the first 3 links for "definition fiend"

EVERY SINGLE ONE says its a demon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by panterarules View Post
    I think Necromancers were originally just manipulators of earth and spirits until Diablo 2.
    I think in The Hobbit they talk about a Necromancer which raises the dead and that. Came out about 60 years ago or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm personally just laughing that the OP is so mad about not getting bland skeletons. True necromancers have more class than that.

And Arena Net is far more creative. O_o

Warcraft 3 Necromancers summoned nothing but skeletons, and it got a little boring.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-26 at 06:14 PM.

fiend (fnd)
    n.
    a. An evil spirit; a demon.

Definition of FIEND
    a : devil 1 b : demon c : a person of great wickedness or maliciousness

fiend
       [feend]
    noun
    Satan; the devil.
    any evil spirit; demon.

Need I go on? Thats just the first 3 links for "definition fiend"

EVERY SINGLE ONE says its a demon.
    Notice how they also include evil (dark) spirits? Yeah, those don't necessarily have to be demons.

You have Bone Fiends later. You even have a bone horde. It's a necromancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necromancy

Sounds like a necromancer to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't get the QQ. This information was out some time ago, all you had to do was look it up. The necromancer summons things made of other dead things. Perhaps the necromancer summons minor demons into the flesh to animate them.

You already said you bought the game for one class, maybe you should have given it a little more thought if only one class interested you.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I'm personally just laughing that the OP is so mad about not getting bland skeletons. True necromancers have more class than that.

And Arena Net is far more creative. O_o

Warcraft 3 Necromancers summoned nothing but skeletons, and it got a little boring.
    How is a generic blood fiend creative?

I'll tell you why they added in fiends and not true necromancer pets. Less work.

Don't need to create walking or attacking animations for a full scale body, just create a floating glob, texture it red and call it a blood fiend.

Enjoy your boring pet!

How is a generic blood fiend creative?

I'll tell you why they added in fiends and not true necromancer pets. Less work.

Don't need to create walking or attacking animations for a full scale body, just create a floating glob, texture it red and call it a blood fiend.

Enjoy your boring pet!
    You're really stuck on this Blood Fiend thing. You have like 7 other pets you get. Calm down.

EDIT: I exaggerated slightly, there are only 5.
    Last edited by Chrysia; 2012-08-26 at 06:19 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know from what I remember A necromancer is some one who uses spirits, shadow power and undead. Those creatures they call fiends are made up of bone and flesh. And one looks like a spirit. If I were a necromancer I wouldn't want to raise humanoids I would want rearrange the bones into a mess to try and scare people. Remember the flesh golem from Diablo?? that wasn't a standard human it was a Golem made of flesh. It looked a lot more scary then the normal skeletons.

But all and all you can just simplify them into death magic casters. Which they definitely fit into. They may for some reason not for you but maybe you can't think of what a body could look like if you took a few of them and stuck random bones together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    By "definition" I suppose Warlock would fit the profession name just fine. Though I think necromancer is more appropriate, since the definition of necromancer isn't as broad as warlock. Since warlocks are defined only as being an "Any male that delves in the dark arts; IE. Male Witch, whereas necromancers are basically defined as warlocks who specialize in conjuring the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    :/ No, just no. Diablo 2 did not create the "necromancer controls the dead" stereotype due to the fact that the word "NECROMANCER" actually means Controller of the Dead.

Also raising something from the dead/using plague-like magic is Necromancer all over. Warlock is Demons and Fel Energy.
    It doesn't mean controlling the dead. Necromancers is specifically a term (aside from games) for people who commune with the dead to see the future. In fact, the suffix mancer is related to prophecy telling or divination.

I agree though, i prefer the blacker art necromancers (anyone played Ultima 8?) and the pets look pretty average in GW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necromancy

Sounds like a necromancer to me.
    Really?

First line of that wiki

Necromancy (/ˈnɛkrɵˌmænsi/) is a claimed form of magic involving communication with the deceased – either by summoning their spirit as an apparition or raising them bodily

There are no bodies being summoned. There aren't even apparitions.

I'm sure everyone here thinks its crazy that I care this much, but its dissapointing that no game has the balls to create a true necromancer anymore. Maybe they hurt someones religious feelings by actually raising undead bodies and now companies are afraid to touch it.

Whatever
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2012-08-26 at 06:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said before in my previous post: it feels like a Necromancer. The creatures it summons look like they once were a creature (or multiple creatures). The profession uses magic that is generally seen as "forbidden" or "taboo" because that type of magic is associated with death (necro-). Plague, blood, spectral things, life-draining... and it's all flavored with death-like names and aesthetics.

Just because it doesn't use generic skeletons or zombies doesn't mean it's not a necromancer. Fantasy is made out of things someone interpreted differently.

Edit: And that's the last I'll post in this ridiculous thread.
    Last edited by Ynna; 2012-08-26 at 06:20 PM.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    It sounds like you didn't even do a little bit of research for the profession. you just heard the word "necromancer" and went all nerdgasm over it.
    so I assume you didn't do any research for the other professions either. If you don't like necromancer just because you feel like they used the wrong name or some dumb shit like that, try something else.