Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Don't use alternate characters in your name.

So turns out that if you use alternate characters in your name, for example, ö these kind of letters... It will cause you much grief.. Why? Because people can't right click your name to invite you to groups or guilds. You need to tell everyone that you want to invite you the ALT code to your alternate letter. Or else they have to /invite your name every time. It may not be a big issue for some, but to me it's annoying. Yeah yeah.. I know my fault for making a name with an alternate in it.. I'm trying to see if I can get my name changed without having to start over.
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2012-08-27 at 02:09 AM.

You shouldn't even have been able to create a name using the Alt Coded letters.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Tell the people using the 3 names I have used since Ultima Online to delete their characters then. if it means changing an "a" to "ä" then so be it. Im not using a different name.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2012-08-27 at 03:09 AM.

These are not 'alternate characters'. They have an important value for reading a name properly, and it's not good to force people into maiming their names putting it into 23 letters.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does it prevent you from right-clicking on their name? Does the game translate it into a normal character?

I tend to feel that alt-characters should be acceptable and there's really no reason to block them as they really do change the way names are pronounced.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If my name is taken, i will not make a new name for myself, its who i am and have been forever. So alt codes it is.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    You shouldn't even have been able to create a name using the Alt Coded letters.
    Its pretty useful in countries where people have accents over their names.

I would be pretty upset if I hadn't gotten Vizzle. Thankfully, I logged in and got it just so I could.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Its pretty useful in countries where people have accents over their names.
    Sadly in the gaming world, it's used entirely different. I know what accent letters are used for.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

10+ Year Old Account
    On the other hand, it has been the best way to prevent Noobs from whispering / guildinviting you since my first WoW-Toon if you have an à or something in your name. At least when the right-click options wasn't availabe, I think you couldn't right-click guildinvite people.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

This will probably get fixed very soon, so I don't see the reason to panic.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

In an ENGLISH version of a game, those retarded letters should not be allowed. But hey, who cares, I always ignore people with such names.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    In an ENGLISH version of a game, those retarded letters should not be allowed. But hey, who cares, I always ignore people with such names.
    People like you shouldn't be allowed to exist.
    It's could've and would've. Not could of and would of. Not sure when "of" started meaning "have," but everyone who thinks it does needs to go back to school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    If people want to use alt chars, that's their right. Just like it's my right to refuse to play with people who's name I refuse to spend 5 minutes trying to type because they wanted to spell "Moocow" in the most stupidly ridiculous way possible.
    ^This.^

Let them be stupid, and go on with life. Everybody wins!

10+ Year Old Account
    Must be a bug anyway, as Anet said that alt codes would not be avail except for German accounts..(guess that is why they dont work for you OP) shrug, either way Alt codes are just as annoying in the English world of gaming as stupid names that get you banned..even in WoW and Rift you couldn't add someone unless they said "press alt 567" etc. Why bother?

Deleted
    Poor Swedes that will be hated because their name is Göran and wanted to name their characters after themselves

There is no need for ALT code if you don't use an english keyboard though... D: (Ää, Öö, Üü are standart keys here in germany)
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    ^This.^

Let them be stupid, and go on with life. Everybody wins!
    Good thing pretentious people avoid me because my toon has a funny i in it, and I avoid the grammar drama queen's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    Poor Swedes that will be hated because their name is Göran and wanted to name their characters after themselves
    Or Pär, or Sören, or Åke.

Myeah, in my opinion I don't see why special characters shouldn't be fully supported. Just because some people choose to use it to make stupid names, or get a name that was otherwise inaccessible, it doesn't mean it cannot be used for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyfaria View Post
    If my name is taken, i will not make a new name for myself, its who i am and have been forever. So alt codes it is.
    ^ This. So some bitch took my name. What am I to do? Take some.. I dunno... Ralfoello Theodore Bisquitis (since EVERYTHING decent is taken) or use one little í which nobody would even notice? I'm joining the game with community of friends and they know me and I like my name and I wanna be called by that name. If that is going to create some nuisances for ppl, so be it.