Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Is 650w psu enough?

Currently pc spec:

Gigabyte h510m h
    Intel core i5-11400f 2.6ghz (running 4.1ghz turbo boost)
    Nvidia gtx 1050 2gb
    16gb ram ddr4 3000mhz (2x 8gb)
    1tb hd sata3 7200rpm
    1tb hd sata 5400rpm
    Corsair cv650 650w 80 plus bronze psu
    Logitech g300s mouse
    A generic keyboard with led

For that setup its ok by now, but i am going to buy new gpu and ssd

For gpu i am thinking about rtx 3060 ti (or normal one). Ehich is better? The normal one comes with 12gb memory and ti 8gb

I going to swap The 1tb hd 5400rpm for a 1tb ssd m.2 nvme 2280

And for Windows install, put it on ssd? And games too?

Ty

650 should be fine for that I would think.

Probably

But I've been using an 850+ PSU since like 2013.... sooOoO....

Ehhhh... If your PSU were rated Gold or better I would say absolutely. I'm not sure I would trust a 650w bronze one though. Power spikes could pose a problem. I mean, I'd say it's more than likely you'd be fine, I just would have a few doubts, which is a little outside my comfort zone.

The 3060 Ti is the better card overall, even with less RAM. It has more tensor and CUDA cores and it will draw more power. Whether the additional performance is noticeable is more the question. I'd say that in most games, the difference would be hard to spot unless you were comparing side to side and counting frames. The reality likely is that you may be forced to grab whichever one is available, and judge whether the markup on it is worth it.

You'll be fine. My system with a 10700k and 3080 is using a 750W.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Ehhhh... If your PSU were rated Gold or better I would say absolutely. I'm not sure I would trust a 650w bronze one though.
    80+ gold rating has literally nothing to do with quality. It is ONLY an efficiency rating. Look at the recent Gigabyte PSU scandal, those were gold rated, they still blew up

for OP: Yes, a 650w should be fine for your setup, even with a 3060 ti
    And yes, definitely move windows to the SSD.

I use these all the time; they'll give you an idea of how much you need and then you can determine how much "breathing room" you want/need. Common advice, of course, is to "over buy" so that future upgrades aren't a problem.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
    https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/
    MOGS > LOGS

Quote Originally Posted by Requitus View Post
    I use these all the time; they'll give you an idea of how much you need and then you can determine how much "breathing room" you want/need. Common advice, of course, is to "over buy" so that future upgrades aren't a problem.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
    https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/
    says i need a 442w psu

should be ok then

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    80+ gold rating has literally nothing to do with quality. It is ONLY an efficiency rating. Look at the recent Gigabyte PSU scandal, those were gold rated, they still blew up
    Well yeah, but efficiency really is important. A lower rating will lead to it drawing more power and generating more heat. Having the better efficiency will be a help in both longevity and possibly minimize wear and tear.

I'm not saying it's the end all, be all stat to look for, but I know I'd feel more comfortable with a better PSU if my GPU was going to be drawing, what, 300w on a 3060 Ti?

Well yeah, but efficiency really is important. A lower rating will lead to it drawing more power and generating more heat. Having the better efficiency will be a help in both longevity and possibly minimize wear and tear.

I'm not saying it's the end all, be all stat to look for, but I know I'd feel more comfortable with a better PSU if my GPU was going to be drawing, what, 300w on a 3060 Ti?
    From what i read over net, 3060 ti cobsumes 200w

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    For a 3060 TI, a 650W power supply is enough, but not by a lot. Generally, you want double the capacity of the mainline PC power requirements due to spikes in consumption as well as for power supply running efficiently most of the time (the efficiency rating is based on running at around 50% of capacity, and the efficiency goes down above that).

A 3060 TI runs at around 200 W, and the rest of your rig probably runs at 100 W or so. So 600 W would be considered a baseline minimum. I wouldn't put in a 3070 or higher with a 650 W PSU. 3060 TI is better than a regular 3060, but costs more. At this time, even 3060 video cards are at least double retail recommended prices.

Windows definitely should go on your SSD. I'd recommend it for most of your games as well if you have the space.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    More than enough. My PSU being pushed have a 650 watt as well. Got a Ryzen 3600 with a 6900 XT. According to the calculator under full load I got 100 watts headroom. Don't worry with the next generation being 600 watts and a new connector being needed we all will need a new PSU. Even those 1200 watt PSU won't have that new connector. Lookup the PCIe 5.0 connector, even has extra pins underneath it for monitoring the connection, it also delivers 600w on a single connection. If you were thinking of getting a new PSU because you feel close don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    From what i read over net, 3060 ti cobsumes 200w
    Then I am absolutely remembering wrong, my bad. So basically you have to account for double the consumption, in this case 400w to account for peak consumption. In that case, your 650w would definitely be ample enough to cover it.

10+ Year Old Account

It's a minimal amount of extra power. 80+ bronze is 82/85% efficient at 20% load, 85/88% at 50%, and 82/85% at 100% (115/230v) 80+ gold is 87/90%, 90/92%, 87/90%

So even if it's a 1000w PSU, at 100% load the difference is 50w
    For a 650w psu it's 32.5w difference at 100% load. At 50% load, it's 16.25w

That's not going to significantly heat up or damage anything. What will, is having shit components, which again, bronze/gold doesn't say anything about

It's a minimal amount of extra power. 80+ bronze is 82/85% efficient at 20% load, 85/88% at 50%, and 82/85% at 100% (115/230v) 80+ gold is 87/90%, 90/92%, 87/90%

So even if it's a 1000w PSU, at 100% load the difference is 50w
    For a 650w psu it's 32.5w difference at 100% load. At 50% load, it's 16.25w

That's not going to significantly heat up or damage anything. What will, is having shit components, which again, bronze/gold doesn't say anything about
    Honestly I should have looked it up because I was remembering the 3060 Ti drawing 300w for some reason, which is why that small difference in efficiency was mattering to me. I do think that efficiency does matter though when you are hitting somewhere near the threashold as even a small difference can be important, but with the draw only being 200w, he has enough to play with for the difference to not be a factor.

The lesson here for me is to always look the numbers up, rather than thinking I remember. Especially before I;ve finished my first cup of coffee.

Look at the recent Gigabyte PSU scandal
    People are out here buying Gigabyte PSU's?
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Been using a 2018 550w seasonic focus+ on my 3070 for a year now, never had a random shutdown, I played all major PC game releases this year and only had a crash once on cp2077, which I think is more of a software/driver issue, even have my powerlimit maxed at ~260w.

I have 2 nvmes 1 sata ssd, a 360 aio, a 1.4v tightened ram, and a ~65w 3700x. NEVER had issues. Probably a couple bluescreens in 2 years, which I think is also a software issue.

I also have never turned off my computer since January of this year, because i run nicehash when im not using it.

Zero issues.
    Last edited by Yizu; 2021-10-12 at 02:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll definitely be fine.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    The 12gb on the non TI card is just marketing, it has a 192-bit bus with whereas the TI card has 256-bit bus with.

TLDR: get the 3060ti

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    says i need a 442w psu

should be ok then
    442W is already on the safe side. CPU+GPU (3060 Ti) will pull about 300W max, the rest of the system is about 50-60W. So you are looking at around 350W peak, which should be around 70% of your psu rating (for best efficiency). With a 650W psu, your peak draw is around 50%, below which the efficiency begins to suffer.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet