Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpayne View Post
    I prefer the method that someone from HowToPriest site had said for charges. I'm usually done first out of everyone in the group. DP with 2 orbs,u se a MB and SWD to gain back your orbs for the next charge. I MF a little or use a MS proc if I have one and it drops down very fast.
    I prefer to throw most of my damage at the boss, hence holding SoD procs and spiking. While the more stacks the better, you can still get a high number of stacks while maintaining heavy dot damage.

13/13M Jubei'thos - Oceanic 8th - US 53rd

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Overall, your DPS seems about where I'd put your gear. A few things to change here and there (better enchant on your pants for instance), but really nothing much to nitpick. Make sure you're pre-potting (if spec'd ToF, use the second pot in SW: D range). Use Halo on CD, optimally at 25 yds if you can, but also realize Cascade is better in some situations. (Download this awesome mod for Halo if you haven't already.) The LFR is a great way to hone your skills and practice multi-dotting, so just keep practicing until you start pulling numbers you're comfortable with. ForteXorcist and Gnosis are great tools to help you with your DoT uptime. For the trinket question, I'd probably rank the Stopwatch above your DMF healing trinket, but I'd rank this trinket (Flashfrozen Resin Globule) above both of them. (It's pretty easy to obtain, too.) A lot of what you're looking to improve is in the minutiae, which, understandably if you're mostly a healer is going to be something that will take time to adapt. Just keep trying and it'll come with time and practice.
    Thank you for this reply. I got a trinket upgrade this week (LFR Elegon trinket), and I have a Serpent Deck ready and waiting for DMF! I also already use ForteXorcist, and I did download HaloPro based on your suggestion, thank you!

Armory: Ellumina @ Kil'jaeden
    Item Level: 489
    Expectations: To do more damage that more accurately suits my current gear.
    World of Logs: H Elegon 25m; Will of the Emperor 25

Now, I'm reposting because I have fresh logs from last night! I was only DPSing because it was a cleanup day and we were lacking DPS and had too many healers (7 when we needed 5 ><) and too few DPS. And I have a decent handle on Shadow, but not exactly as high as it should be I believe at my gear, so it was natural for me to DPS for us. I am MS heals (Holy/Disc) and haven't raided Shadow since DS. I finally got enough gear where my Shadow set is now a mixture of healing and DPS gear, and managed to hit the 8085 haste plateau without screwing with my healing reforge. I also don't have 25-30% hit rating anymore. My opening rotation is VT > SW:P > MB > Mindbender/Shadowfiend > MF, and then refresh dots as needed, MB on CD, DP with 3 orbs, and Mindbender/Shadowfiend on CD. Curiously, should I MB before casting any dots to get it initially on CD?

In the two fights I DPSed this week, it's my first time DPSing in an actual raid that isn't LFR for a while, so for like WoTE, I admit I wasn't too sure what to exactly prioritize DPSing so I just dotted everything I laid my eyes on. I was also raid leading due to our raid leader being on vacation, which had me slightly more distracted than being able to just tunnel DPS (my GM's excuse for his sometimes crummy DPS XD so I'm using this excuse too!)

Deleted

DPS/Gear advice

Item Level 484
    Expectations: More efficient DPS with clearer guide on gear
    Armory Link: Mztickle, Mazrigos EU
    Worldoflogs Link: WoL Elegon, 10M normal

I will start off by saying, I know I'm not one of the better players, but I still want to try do my best and feel like I'm letting our team down. I do read, and continue to read alot about my class, but since MoP have been a bit lost.

That link shows the Elegon kill (finally!) and I'm sure my DPS should be considerably better than this. As for dot uptime etc., it is hard to gauge on that fight. I use Need to Know addon and I'm pretty sure I refresh when I should, but maybe I'm just not attentive enough

As for gear - I use MrRobot and noticed recently a new stat spec for pre T14. I've been unlucky with drops and had no tear items at all. So it advised me to change all my gems from haste to intellect, with some a little mixed. I "feel" my DPS has dropped. I can't confirm that until we raid and log tomorrow, after reset.

I also upgraded the Flashfrozen trinket for the VP one. But read on here the Flashfrozen is better?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellumina View Post
    Thank you for this reply. I got a trinket upgrade this week (LFR Elegon trinket), and I have a Serpent Deck ready and waiting for DMF! I also already use ForteXorcist, and I did download HaloPro based on your suggestion, thank you!

Armory: Ellumina @ Kil'jaeden
    Expectations: To do more damage that more accurately suits my current gear.
    World of Logs: H Elegon 25m; Will of the Emperor 25

Now, I'm reposting because I have fresh logs from last night! I was only DPSing because it was a cleanup day and we were lacking DPS and had too many healers (7 when we needed 5 ><) and too few DPS. And I have a decent handle on Shadow, but not exactly as high as it should be I believe at my gear, so it was natural for me to DPS for us. I am MS heals (Holy/Disc) and haven't raided Shadow since DS. I finally got enough gear where my Shadow set is now a mixture of healing and DPS gear, and managed to hit the 8085 haste plateau without screwing with my healing reforge. I also don't have 25-30% hit rating anymore. My opening rotation is VT > SW:P > MB > Mindbender/Shadowfiend > MF, and then refresh dots as needed, MB on CD, DP with 3 orbs, and Mindbender/Shadowfiend on CD. Curiously, should I MB before casting any dots to get it initially on CD?

In the two fights I DPSed this week, it's my first time DPSing in an actual raid that isn't LFR for a while, so for like WoTE, I admit I wasn't too sure what to exactly prioritize DPSing so I just dotted everything I laid my eyes on. I was also raid leading due to our raid leader being on vacation, which had me slightly more distracted than being able to just tunnel DPS (my GM's excuse for his sometimes crummy DPS XD so I'm using this excuse too!)
    You're correct in saying MB should be cast first to put it on CD, we're the same as a ret paladin, gotta put our resource generator on cooldown at all times, and abuse shadow word death as much as possible.

In the case of WotE, I always have full dots running on the 2 bosses as well as the 2 strengths when they're active. The Rage's usually get wrecked by stronger AoE classes, but if possible throwing SW: P at them doesn't really hurt.

I'd also recommend forging out of the mastery you traded for crit if possible, I don't think its worth it as mastery is quite weak in comparison (single target).

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mzchief View Post
    Item Level 484
    Expectations: More efficient DPS with clearer guide on gear
    Armory Link: Mztickle, Mazrigos EU
    Worldoflogs Link: WoL Elegon, 10M normal

I will start off by saying, I know I'm not one of the better players, but I still want to try do my best and feel like I'm letting our team down. I do read, and continue to read alot about my class, but since MoP have been a bit lost.

That link shows the Elegon kill (finally!) and I'm sure my DPS should be considerably better than this. As for dot uptime etc., it is hard to gauge on that fight. I use Need to Know addon and I'm pretty sure I refresh when I should, but maybe I'm just not attentive enough

As for gear - I use MrRobot and noticed recently a new stat spec for pre T14. I've been unlucky with drops and had no tear items at all. So it advised me to change all my gems from haste to intellect, with some a little mixed. I "feel" my DPS has dropped. I can't confirm that until we raid and log tomorrow, after reset.

I also upgraded the Flashfrozen trinket for the VP one. But read on here the Flashfrozen is better?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    I don't always agree with MrRobot as I think its a poor resource - but to my knowledge, you should be running intellect before you get close to 8085. Just make sure you're maximising your Shadow Orb generation, that means using MB on CD in the normal phases and using SW: D on the protectors. Your SW: P damage was super high - nowadays our two dots don't do magnificent damage so if you have the choice between refreshing a 2sec Pain and casting MB - cast MB every time.

The Flashfrozen trinket (the siege of niuzao one?) would have higher PP and be higher on BiS lists largely due to stat weights (because it has hit rating). I'm not 100% sure on the logistics for it, but I believe the on-use is a lot better than the VP one.
    Last edited by Lunatari; 2012-11-29 at 04:40 AM.

13/13M Jubei'thos - Oceanic 8th - US 53rd

Quote Originally Posted by Nestar View Post
    His uptime isnt spectacular, but it isn't abysmal either.

Biggest two things he needs to work on are

1. Using MindBlast on CD, he's short a few mindblasts on the majority of his fights, of the ones I looked at almost all he could have fit 3+ in, meaning that much damage plus the bonus from Devouring Plauge, he's spending much too much time mind-flaying when other spells should be of higher priority. With Divine Insight as a talent, Mind Flay should almost never be your highest damage.

2. He's gemming wrong. Choosing striaght haste gems when he can't reach the 8085 haste plateau. He should be using either hybrid or pure Intellect gems (reckless in yellow slots, Purified in blue).

Likely some placement/movement issues as well, those are harder to tell from logs. Feng specificially I noticed he was doing a lot of casting during epicenter (which you have a 75% miss chance during if your tanks aren't using the right abilities and interrupts) and didnt refresh his dots properly before going into these phases, He might be tunneling the meters or the boss and not watching his dbm/bigwigs timers for events like this. He can be utilizing Body and Soul quite a bit more to help him with movement during these phases (he is doing a bit already) and can be timing raid cd's with this as well. For example for feng, if there's one epicentre you know you're going to take full blast, instead of wasting time casting for a miss, have him pop his Mana Hymn during it.

Gearing is reasonable, looks like you're reforging and gemming properly (aside from using the spellthread instead of your embroidery on legs, the stats are the same however, just a waste of money)

Biggest thing from your logs, is uptime, It's pretty sloppy. That fight you can easily achieve a 99% uptime on SWP and a 95% uptime on VT. You were at 91.9% and 77.7% for Dogs and 91.8% SWP, 76.3% VT for Feng.
    Get a DoT tracker and get in the habit of refreshing dots as soon as possible when they're about to fall off. You can do this while sitting on a target dummy. Try single target first it will help you the most, don't even touch the other ones. Once you get your rotation down, you'll feel more comfortable adding dots on a secondary target. Also it looks like you're scrambling a lot when sub 20% (once SWD is usable) and dropping DoT's completely there. I'd recommend making sure you never run both DI and FDCL together (its usually a dps loss anyways) until you're completely able to get consistent > 95% uptime on both. You look like you have too many procs and stuff to manage that you're losing control when they all pop up at once.

As far as rankings go, You got a few rankings there, 10man is a lot more divided than I thought, they drop down quickly in dps past about 150th spot. Keep the uptime high and you'll do better.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 10:29 PM ----------

Biggest thing, is your gear. Uptime is good from the logs you uploaded, you may have been able to get 1 or 2 more mindblasts in if rotation was perfect.
    Gemming is incorrect however, you're going solid haste without being able to reach the plateau, use Intellect gems in red, Purified in Blue, Reckless in yellow until you can do so with out switching many out. Your 2nd trinket is completely worthless to you, the trinkets from regular or even lfr DS in cata destroy that one in terms of use to you. You should swap it out immediately, go get one of the heroic trinkets or something like the valor ones.
    It worked! THANK YOU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatari View Post
    You're correct in saying MB should be cast first to put it on CD, we're the same as a ret paladin, gotta put our resource generator on cooldown at all times, and abuse shadow word death as much as possible.

In the case of WotE, I always have full dots running on the 2 bosses as well as the 2 strengths when they're active. The Rage's usually get wrecked by stronger AoE classes, but if possible throwing SW: P at them doesn't really hurt.

I'd also recommend forging out of the mastery you traded for crit if possible, I don't think its worth it as mastery is quite weak in comparison (single target).[COLOR="red"]
    Any pieces reforged to mastery are pieces that are shared with my healing gear, which I reforge to mastery, so it's just something I have to make due with. I will fix my rotation to do MB first (which I have been doing lately).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatari View Post
    I don't always agree with MrRobot as I think its a poor resource - but to my knowledge, you should be running intellect before you get close to 8085. Just make sure you're maximising your Shadow Orb generation, that means using MB on CD in the normal phases and using SW: D on the protectors. Your SW: P damage was super high - nowadays our two dots don't do magnificent damage so if you have the choice between refreshing a 2sec Pain and casting MB - cast MB every time.

The Flashfrozen trinket (the siege of niuzao one?) would have higher PP and be higher on BiS lists largely due to stat weights (because it has hit rating). I'm not 100% sure on the logistics for it, but I believe the on-use is a lot better than the VP one.
    Well now that you put it like that, seems like common sense really.... if not close to 8085 no point trying I guess. Thanks for the clarification on that. I just got my first two T14 pieces yesterday in LFR - finally! I'm guessing 8085 is not achievable until 4 pieces?

You're right in that I don't cast MB as much as I should. That's usually just before the orbs spawn and I worry about not having a MB ready for them. I am getting more comfortable and confident now that I can get them down easy enough, but initially I held back alot, waiting for them to spawn. Also in between them spawning - when I'm back to Elegon, I use only dots and MF, trying to save everything else. Overly cautious I know, just couldn't bare us wiping because I failed to get one down!

I'm still unsure about that trinket - yes the Siege of Niuzao one. Especially since 5.1 and I can upgrade it a bit! Thing is though with the VP one, it's a sweet intellect boost. I actually don't need hit and have had problems trying to reforge away from hit/spirit. I've even been at 16% hit, so was happy to replace that trinket. I'm just unsure if it was a wise move.

We killed Elegon again last night, you can view the log here if you'd like - apart from what I've said above, would welcome any feedback.

Thanks, it's much appreciated

Item Level 484
    Expectations: Better DPS to keep up
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lasalle/simple

Hey all!

I am pulling about 55k in Terrace while my guildies are managing to pull about 70k. I feel like I am not pulling my weight, and want to.

So, I was hoping for you guys to give me some critique on my gear. (I don't know how to work Word of Logs ).

Thanks!

Found your logs here, Saint:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/139019/

Anyway, there's a lot to critique. I'll start with your gear. You're very far away from the first haste plateau. There's variable arguments on how beneficial it is to your DPS, but sitting at less than 5k Haste is not doing you any favors. You're using a lot of poorly itemized gear, so that should be one of the first things you look into. Your trinkets are terrible as well. Vision of the Predator is an absolutely awful choice, even upgraded. If you absolutely must wear a blue trinket, upgrade the Flashfrozen Resin Globule from Siege. Mithril Wristwatch is also a very bad trinket choice and you'd improve your DPS leaps and bounds if you purchased a Relic of Yu'lon. (It's a great investment because it'll remain BiS until T15, which is still more than a few months away.) You're using a sub-optimal enchant on your bracers and weapon as well. (180 Int and Jade Spirit are the better choices respectively.) Prices for Sha Crystals have begun to plummet on both of the realms I play on so it's definitely beneficial to start investing in better enchants. Additionally, you may want to invest in a second crafting profession as the haste boost from Herbalism is far less beneficial than the raw stat bonus you'd receive.

Moving on to the logs: Your SW: P/VT uptime is anywhere from 80-90% at best (and seemed to average around 70% on most of the fights I was looking through), which is definitely costing you a lot of DPS. If you don't have a DoT timer, invest in one immediately. Gnosis and ForteXorcist are the preferred choices for many SPriests. Work on keeping the your uptime of these spells as close to 100% as you can. Make sure you're casting MB as close to the cooldown as you can, as well. More MB is more DP is more overall DPS. It doesn't look like you used a potion for your Tsulong kill, so that can also be improved. Make sure you're using a potion before the pull, then using it again either when your buffs line up or when you enter an execute/lust phase.

Thank you very much!

I tried DotTimers at one point, and did not like its set up. I will for sure look into ForteXorcist/Gnosis and see which I prefer.

I will be farming some gold for that trinket you mentioned. Is the Valor trinket any good? should I invest in that or would begging for the Elegon trinket in LFR/Normal to drop be better?

Again, thank you very much, I appreciate your time

Edit: Also, I have the ilvl 503 Wep (Regail's Crackling Dagger). Would the Sha Weapon be better simply for the Sha Gem? I'm thinking not since the Spellpower, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by TCD4LYFE; 2012-12-14 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCD4LYFE View Post
    Thank you very much!

I tried DotTimers at one point, and did not like its set up. I will for sure look into ForteXorcist/Gnosis and see which I prefer.

I will be farming some gold for that trinket you mentioned. Is the Valor trinket any good? should I invest in that or would begging for the Elegon trinket in LFR/Normal to drop be better?

Again, thank you very much, I appreciate your time

Edit: Also, I have the ilvl 503 Wep (Regail's Crackling Dagger). Would the Sha Weapon be better simply for the Sha Gem? I'm thinking not since the Spellpower, but I could be wrong.
    I would also recommend giving ShadowTimers a try. It's technically out of date atm but works with no issues and will track dots on anything you target and your orbs. The dots even turn green to let you know when it is safe to refresh. It's really useful to help get a really good feel of the flow for various fights.

Help my dps.

Log:
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/nqm5h...yze/dd/source/

Armory:
    us.battle.net/wow/en/character/alexstrasza/leeheelz/advanced

I know that VT uptime needs some work, and finetuning MF clipping. What else can I do better at?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoobins View Post
    Log:
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/nqm5h...yze/dd/source/

Armory:
    us.battle.net/wow/en/character/alexstrasza/leeheelz/advanced

I know that VT uptime needs some work, and finetuning MF clipping. What else can I do better at?
    Your offstats gives you more dps overall than intellect, so something you could do is to skip the int gems and go for haste.
    (assuming you'll reach haste cap you'll get more out of crit and mastery than haste.)
    I'm a kittycat

chief, there is no "haste cap." It's a plateau and there are varying levels of benefit which you get from it. Hitting 8085 haste isn't going to mysteriously double your DPS and, in some situations, might even be worse for you. If you you're sacrificing a boatload of Int so you can go for it, chances are, you're doing more harm than good. The general consensus is to sim it and find out what works out best.

That said, looking at Stoobins' gear/logs, there's a few things to improve. Gear wise, your second trinket is very lackluster. Run Siege every day until you can get a Flashfrozen Resin Globule as it's hands down the best trinket you'll find outside of raiding/rep. Your dot uptime seems pretty lackluster, but you acknowledge that. You were spec'd DI for Elegon, which is a terrible idea. You can get anywhere from 50-60+% uptime of ToF on this fight and it's the sole reason SPriests are particularly excellent at this encounter. Practice multidoting as well, your uptime was also pretty pathetic on your WotE kill. Use the LFR to your advantage, find out a method of doting which works for you and work on perfecting it. Get more comfortable moving your talents around for specific encounters because knowing which talents to use for the encounters you're working on is what usually sets apart a mediocre SPriest from one who pulls every bit of DPS they can. (There's a great resource here at H2P.)

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    chief, there is no "haste cap." It's a plateau and there are varying levels of benefit which you get from it. Hitting 8085 haste isn't going to mysteriously double your DPS and, in some situations, might even be worse for you. If you you're sacrificing a boatload of Int so you can go for it, chances are, you're doing more harm than good. The general consensus is to sim it and find out what works out best.
    Myself I got more dps by going for the haste PLATEAU while balancing out crit with mastery. Ofcourse I am also changing specc depending on fight which will work in favor for me, but still - Being at the haste plateau feels better than being off with 3k haste.

But you can always look at my priest down in my signature and say how much dps increase I'd have if going for int-haste, int-spirit gems.
    I'm a kittycat

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Myself I got more dps by going for the haste PLATEAU while balancing out crit with mastery. Ofcourse I am also changing specc depending on fight which will work in favor for me, but still - Being at the haste plateau feels better than being off with 3k haste.

But you can always look at my priest down in my signature and say how much dps increase I'd have if going for int-haste, int-spirit gems.
    You can't just tell someone to just gem all haste though because that isn't always the best option. In general you won't see a dps increase if you have to drop more than 400 - 425 int to get to the breakpoint. Your personal situation might have any number of mitigating factors that could have caused the increase in dps if you dropped more than that range of int.

Deleted
    Expectations: Improve as shadowpriest.
    Armory Link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rdons/advanced
    Worldoflogs Link: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-to...?s=9069&e=9545

I have never played as dps, except for a few off-spec encounters. So this is the first real raid as a dps. I have no skills in reading the logs so I would appriciate if someone ccould give me some help in improving my skills. compared to the others in the raid I am 3-9 ilvls below or something like that. But they outnumber me in damage done. at least that's how I feel.

Do I pull my weigh or what should I focus on improving? The link goes directly to Elegon HC but I'd appriciate feedback on more fights aswell of course

Fordon, your DPS looks pretty decent from the logs you posted. Your DoT uptime is close to 100% (usually in the 95%+ range, which of course can always be improved, but isn't nearly as bad as some of the people who post in this thread), but you were spec'd improperly for Elegon. ToF is a pretty powerful talent so make sure you're getting the most you can from it by using it where appropriate. Check my last post in this thread for a pretty handy guide for talents to use over @ H2P.

Item Level : 497
    Expectations: I would like to be able to push more dps over all on all bosses.
    Armory Link: Jonzz, Kul Tiras : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Jonzz/advanced
    Worldoflogs: Here are most of our logs http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/229227/

I have played priest for the most of mine time in wow but always as healing, but now im off to shadow lovein it btw but i dont think i push the numbers that i should be able to. I do use alot of time on wol, guides and so on to improve my skills as a range dps class but i seems to have hit the wall with my dps.

So my question to you guys is, is there any way that i can improve my dps even more ?

Deleted
    Posting here in behalf of our priest. We think he manages well the raid mechanics, doing good on them, but the numbers seems a bit low to me. Will leave some logs of him (Elegon, Windlord and Garalon, seems a good selection):

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j...?s=6037&e=6457
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j...?s=8302&e=8633
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/o...?s=9070&e=9542

The link to his char is http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...r%C3%A4%C3%A4/

Any tip is appreciated. As a first thought, I'm thinking on asking him why don't use red variant gems (he is using some greens instead of purples), I don't like not using Pandaren's Step either. The weapon enchant is ok? Won't Jade Spirit be better?