Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I have played wow since the start of TBC, along the way i played lotro, rift and some other mmos, now about guild wars 2:
    I love how character control feels, i also love that while playing my engineer feels like playing a fps.
    I hate the fact that the game is not noob friendly, i haven't played beta or guild wars 2, soo after getting level 8 i got bored and decided to try some PVP. the way it's designed is horrible, i found some vendors that sell items well not sell because the items are free, i found alot of runes and enchants but im clueless on what's the best to use etc. upon joining pvp i got new skills most of them which i have never used, i could say more but there's no point.
    As an oppinion, this game is good as a filler whenever i won't have content to do in wow or i get bored, but if the game was subscription based i would not play it.

I played WoW for quite a long time. Really enjoyed all my time in WoW.

GW2 is worth the money as, once you buy it, you can play it at any time (no subscription fee). It's a good game on it's own merit of course but it all depends on your play style and a lot of other factors.

Worth $60? Definitely.
    Will you get as many years of enjoyment out of it like WoW? Possibly.

WoW has cost me $1250+ in subscription fees alone for 7 years of playing time (not counting the cost of the expansions or the 15+ server transfers I've done). For $60, you get to play GW2 indefinitely. Even if you play through it just to hit level 80 and run through all the stuff once, you'll get your money's worth.

I'm impressed how well this thread has kept itself in check, and look forward to seeing it grow.

I played WoW for 4 months of beta, and a year after vanilla release. Came back about halfway thru TBC and kept my sub since. Already have MoP pre-ordered and have a sub paid till mid-December.

That said, I was never a big raider. I raided weekly for maybe 1/4 of my actual WoW playtime, and was always more interesting in levelling alts and PvP. Made it over 2200 for a few seasons, hit 1950 in RBG last season, all without even playing on a PvP server (my fiancee won't play on PvP servers, hates getting ganked).

GW2 is everything awesome that was stated above, but I'm not without my gripes.

Barring obvious code bugs (grouping, trading post, guild joins etc.) that will get worked out sooner rather than later, the UI isn't my favorite. I have to squint to tell what buffs/afflictions I currently have, and reading item descriptions is a bit tedious. Downed state really needs to be tweaked, some classes have OP downed skills, and others have completely useless ones (though obviously some are more beneficial in PvE vs PvP or vice versa). They need a straight 3v3 arena BADLY.

Positive things that haven't been mentioned:

No need for addons. In-game bag sorting, bank and crafting mats available instantly by tabs, send to bank in the field, instant mail from anywhere, gathering nodes marked on the minimap, Family Circus trail dots to track your recent progress, hilarious fall animations, flamethrower weilding engineers, a massive world with a fuckton of things to do (had to be restated), fantastic player models, being forced to MOVE and JUKE like a PvP player even in PvE; casting while moving, deep trait/skill system with multiple build options, CC/control skills for every class (oh god how I love CCing people), downscaling environments (being OP anywhere in PvE is lame), instanced nodes, instanced loot, deep crafting system.

So much more as well...
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

It's definitely something worth playing between raids

Quote Originally Posted by Tamato View Post
    Each MMO manufacturer has the absolute WORST possible timing to release their product.
    Conan, Star Wars, Aion, etc. They all release within a few months of some Superb Warcraft event. New Content, new expansion, etc.
    That is sheer carnage on the product. Because blizzard is a whirlwind of awesomesauce when it comes to adding new content and things to do. Which is what keeps most warcraft players happy. Always tweaking things just a little, all the older retired superheroes of wow are most likely making it in Guild Wars 2, but have intentions of a Valiant and Triumphant return to Mists of Pandaria. Some of the Super Heroes being Troxed of War Ensemble, and Leroy Jenkins the bubblehearthing asshole.
    I think Blizzard is actually the one who does this intentionally, there's a good reason the 5.0.4 patch is dropping today on the date of GW2's release and it's not because Blizzard decided it months in advance :P
    Last edited by Imnick; 2012-08-28 at 02:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only way to find out man is to try it for yaself. Give it a spin in the downtime before MoP I reckon

Deleted
    (Veteran wow player, played since vanilla)
    AMAZING
    This game is very VERY good so far.
    A few faults, no auction house (yet) is annoying as hell... no trading.. annoying as hell.. quite a few bugs (but what can you expect?)
    also as of right now, levelling most crafting skills is simply painful. Leatherworking for example, requires 3/8 of an item to gain 1 single level... those items drop from mobs.. VERY VERY RARELY.

However, the levelling and the fun I am having is just.. well let me tell you. WoW levelling doesnt compare anywhere in the slightest. I have over 300 days played on my wow account, and 12 85's, plus a few other 80's etc. And I absolutely HATE levelling in wow. It is so unbelievably boring, dull, not fun at all.

In guild wars, I actually have fun levelling! And no, its not just the "oh its new" aspect, as I also played RIFT for a year or so, and the levelling on that was just as boring as on WoW (in my opinion) yet on this? It's awesome. Its not, "Ugh ANOTHER zone" or "Ugh I'm ONLY level 50" It's "Yes only 5 more hearts and 2 more POI's till I have 100% completed this zone and on to the next!"
    Lots of fun.
    Last edited by mmoc61be24ebd6; 2012-08-28 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    No mana, no 1shot pvp, tons of fun

loves it
    No resource management makes for a boring game to some people.

Each MMO manufacturer has the absolute WORST possible timing to release their product.
    Conan, Star Wars, Aion, etc. They all release within a few months of some Superb Warcraft event. New Content, new expansion, etc.
    It's no secret Blizzard times updates to conflict with new products, it's how they operate (cutthroat)
    Last edited by iggie; 2012-08-28 at 02:46 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    No resource management makes for a boring game to some people.
    Definitely not me

So far so fun. Will continue playing it on the side of WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    (WoW loving person)

Controls are fluid
    Combat is fluid
    Animations do NOT lock you in place
    Events are a nice change of pace
    No questing routine like in WoW
    Adorable World, Music and Art (Sylvani)

Well I'm only Lv 5, but the fact that this game has no subscription fee makes it an Ideal companion for WoW that can be played on any level of activity without pressure.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2012-08-28 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    (WoW loving person)

Animations do NOT lock you in place

You haven't played a warrior it seems.

Blocking makes you stand still or you break the cast (for warrs), there's a skill you can use wielding a two handed sword which makes you stand still or you break the cast.

Leaping or charging lock you in place for a second before going off.

Haven't yet experienced that with the engineer. Which is why I'm playing one. Even though i'd rather be a warrior.
    Last edited by Tiev; 2012-08-28 at 03:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The selling point is that it's not a monthly pay to play

as a pvp player you will probably enjoy the pvp, on the pve side of things dynamic events and exploration are the only things the game have going for it. The customer service, actual site and character personalities leave much to be desired (meaning every npc is the same lifeless tool)

It's something to do until Mists of Pandaria comes out, or if Mists of Pandaria is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    [edit] Be wary of the people who claim that GW2 is somehow hard. It's harder than WoW, but that's not saying much since you basically can't die in WoW PvE anymore outside of raids or heroic 5 mans in green gear. You can button mash your way through GW2 just fine - the only time I've had any problems has been when I've pulled half a dozen mobs 2 levels above my own at the same time, or when fighting underwater with an unlevelled melee weapon as a necromancer. I cleared the first 1-15 area at level 12 very easily (got rewarded with items that I couldn't even use yet -.-), and even killed a lvl 15 event boss by myself by kiting it in a circle. It's "harder than WoW", but not "hard"
    This sounds NOTHING like what I've experienced. Granted, I play a thief, but even two higher level mobs could be a challenge once I neared the end of the sylvari starting zone and got past it. You button mash and one bloody mob can kill you. I had to exit a personal story instance because all the NPC helpers died in a timespan of ten seconds, and I was left trying to kill packs of five by myself. Carefully setting up pulls, kiting and killing them one at a time by reseting the pack after every pull worked, but I just wore out of patience. They get on your skin and it's practically an instant death.

Then again I wouldn't agree with most of the things you said anyway =P I can't see how being able to measure performance can make any co-operative online game ever better. All the e-peen stuff really had a negative impact on WoW for me. Even if I can compete, I don't like to, I have to do enough of that already.

Anyway, as for the original topic. Yes, I've had tons of fun. I've heard that most of the GW2 innovations were already done by other MMOs, but I don't care. I didn't play those MMO's so it's all new and awesome for me - and will probably be for anyone who's only known WoW and/or SWTOR.

I don't think the lore lives up to WoW's standards. There's probably a great backstory, but the quests and events reveal nothing about it, atleast not on the starter zones. The personal story and quests involved make up for some of that though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit am I impressed with the comments in this thread! It's actually an enjoyable place to be.

I've played WoW since Vanilla, probably wont buy MoP, I consider myself to be very sarcastic about WoW but I can appreciate the fun times I had with it when it was in it's prime and what it does well.

I am simply loving Guild Wars 2. I get the same feelings I felt when I first played wow. The world feels so alive with the DE's and voice work even if it does sound cheesy at times haha. I also think it was pretty clever of the developers to allow players to complete DE's in different ways. I love the simplicity of the UI and all the features like mail anywhere and the sell all junk button etc. It controls at least as good WoW, I love the way combat is laid out with the 5 combat buttons that change depending the profession and other variables. That combined with traits feels similar but new and exciting. The game looks great even on my POS rig, the armor is awesome too.

I think the key to enjoying GW 2 the way it's meant to be is just taking your time and exploring. Don't rush, there is no need too.

Long time wow player (I just quit 4 months ago after playing from Launch day), and I am super happy with GW2. But I won't lie, I was super happy with WoW when it launched almost 8 years ago as well. GW2 is new to me right now, I'm exploring, I'm seeing things for the first time, it fixes a LOT of the frustrations I have with WoW. So net net, I'm staying here and not looking back.

I no longer play wow,but i do still admire the mechanics that go along with it,BUT as a long-time wow player,i was getting way too bored of the game,content was fun( at times),but it just gets too repetitive too fast,starts feeling like a job with your daily checklist THAT YOU HAVE TO DO to stay competitive at Lv cap,Guild Wars 2 IS the mmo for the solo player AND the team player,you can literally do anything guildless,theres no elitist checklist that you have to be on,heres some other reasons as to why its pioneering mmos

Goodbye to being forced through zones at a inflexible pace, like you bought a guided coachtour of the world, instead going out to experience it.
    Goodbye to only rewardingly adventuring with people your own level, in set zones.
    Goodbye to artifical barriers like levels choosing your 'allowed' friends for you.
    Goodbye questlog, no more trying to manage your stupid questlog restrictions e.g. choosing which are the least useful 10 out of 50 half done quests to delete.
    Goodbye to ignoring the world around you, because you haven't visited magic question mark head men yet, so you can't interact with your world, or worse someone in your party doesn't have the right pre-reqs etc.
    Goodbye to blatant questhub progression, you were artifical & dreadful and ruined the world.
    Goodbye to areas becoming redundent content you can never go back to again in any meaningful sense, as your arbitrary level number changes.
    Goodbye static lifeless world like a shop window full of mannequins posed for customers, where nothing ever moves changes or has consequences.
    Goodbye to MASSIVE UIs that took up all your screen space.
    Goodbye to the macro system.
    Goodbye to stnaind in place doing always the same dps rotation with so many pointless variants of abilities you should just use as soon as the CoolDown comes free.
    Goodbye to needing to so intently hotkey watch, your bloated multi-hotbars rammed full of icons, that you can't enjoy the game & world graphics at all.
    Goodbye to deleting your loot so you had some space for yet more annoying quest items.
    Goodbye to having to artificially return to town constantly and inconveniently to store your harvestings, put stuff on the broker, use the mailbox etc.
    Goodbye to having to go train up or scroll the latest version of SmiteVIII ruining a good adventure.
    Goodbye to mana/stamina. Depending on gear/setup/advancement/buffs/game mana-stamina were only ever either 1) pointless & ignored or 2) crippling & frustrating, never ever anywhere inbetween.
    Goodbye to grinding for months to discover actually you don't like your class in pvp but you couldn't know until you did 5 months on the hamster wheel.
    Goodbye to pointless grind mechanisms to try and keep you subbed for longer trying to get to the point you could actually have fun like a donkey chasing the carrot on a stick.
    Goodbye to beginning pvp and having ridiculous gear and level differences make you essentially mobile fast-food snacks for established players.
    Goodbye to pvp about gear not skill.
    Goodbye to pve about gear not skill.
    Goodbye to combat that is clunky on the surface with tons of icons, but would increasingly lack any depth (particularly as you macro it).
    Goodbye to all your gear being essentially removed each new (raid/pvp/dungeon) "season", so you can please pay a new set of months subscriptions and grind away to try and get back to the equal level gear as everyone else again.

I hope i don't get too flamed/trolled by GWs 2 haters/wow lovers
    Take care and hope to see you on the battlefield!

All games are better played with friends
    i think its fun, its a well made game thats fun to play but a little to much pvp focus for my taste but if i liked pvp it would be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD CLEAN FROM WOW HATERS AND GW2 HATERS.

As a WoW player since release I have become rather interested in GW2 mainly because most of my friends (who have never played WoW) Have started playing GW2. From their point of view the game is awesome. But again.. they cant compare WoW and GW2 since they never played WoW.

So I'd like to know from anyone who Enjoys WoW if GW2 is worth it. I understand the game JUST came out but I'd really like to hear it from a WoW players point of view. And if its entertaining. Im looking to play GW2 as a time filler while Im not doing anything on WoW.

Is it fun?
    Is the lore good?
    Is it better with friends or solo?

Again please keep the discussion clean and don't bash either games as I want the thread to stay open to hear peoples opinions. Thank you.
    1) Yes it is fun. I always enjoyed crafting and I find that in this game it is especially rewarding.
    2) Lore is decent, I never payed attention to GW1 lore and didn't play the expansions so I don't know of it. But in the personal story I'm starting to understand what is going on and it is ok.
    3) Way better with friends but solo is ok for now. When the initial flux of people make it through the levels I wonder how the zones will be. Doing things solo in an empty zone might kind of suck after a while.

Other notes: Many big differences between GW2 and WoW.

The main thing is GW2 is more of a sand box leveling approach. Anything you do will advance your level in a similar manner and the most efficient way is to probably vary what you do. In other words if you explore maps, complete heart quests, work on your personal story, hit dynamic events, gather resources, pvp, and craft you will level faster than just trying to hit dynamic events in zones. The positive on this is basically you can do whatever you feel like doing and it will always contribute to your leveling. The negative is people that are used to bread crumb quests will be very frustrated when they finish all the heart quests and not be ready for the next zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD CLEAN FROM WOW HATERS AND GW2 HATERS.

As a WoW player since release I have become rather interested in GW2 mainly because most of my friends (who have never played WoW) Have started playing GW2. From their point of view the game is awesome. But again.. they cant compare WoW and GW2 since they never played WoW.

So I'd like to know from anyone who Enjoys WoW if GW2 is worth it. I understand the game JUST came out but I'd really like to hear it from a WoW players point of view. And if its entertaining. Im looking to play GW2 as a time filler while Im not doing anything on WoW.

Is it fun?
    Is the lore good?
    Is it better with friends or solo?

Again please keep the discussion clean and don't bash either games as I want the thread to stay open to hear peoples opinions. Thank you.
    It's fun. The lore's amazing. And I can't really comment if it's better solo or not, but I feel that everything is better with friends. I've been playing since launch with my girlfriend, and we're having a blast joining each other in personal stories and whatnot.

But you can't play this game the way you play another MMORPG. It's... still an MMO, but it's different, ya know? It gives different things.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-28 at 04:07 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

7 year wow experience.

Is it fun? Its loads of fun, dont listen to anets marketing crap about Hearts not beeing the same as it was. Its questing with a different wrapper around it.

Is the lore good? THe lore is awesome, the story mode is cool, twists and changes. The oldlore from gw1 is fun if you know it. nothing gamebreaking.

Is it better with friends or solo? Friends is more fun, but the beauty is that you easily team up with randoms, i just came across a person also trying to jump towards a VISTA, and we ended up doing a entire chain of treasure hunting with jumping puzzles in a pirate's cave. and the treasure wasnt a lie!