Page 1 of 2
LastLast

*Warning* 5.0.4 patch issue

Mods, i'm posting this for my girlfriend as i need to go to work, and she needs the info before i go so she can contact blizz. Also may prove useful for others.

After running the update, the launcher wants to Optimize your install

Launcher Optimization process fails with:
    "The folder you selected cannot be used, Please select a different folder"

Workflow breakdown

Open WoW Launcher
    "Updated Tools" downloads and automatically launches the Optimizer
    Pop up appears with "Begin" and "Close Launcher" (after a few seconds the launcher auto closes leaving only the pop-up)
    clicking "Begin" returns the above error

The wow install on this PC is a little unusual as it has the WoW folder as the root of a second Hard disk (e on her PC (OS drive is too small to hold it)
    Wow is the only program/file on the drive, it is not used for anything else.
    To be more clear, the wow folder IS the root of the E: drive. (there is no "Wow folder" in which the files are stored)

Tried to use the wow repair program and she gets "Download is not authorized" and it disappears.

It is a very rash jump to an easy fix but the way I see it since the Repair tool failed. Your best bet would be to just do a clean install and make sure all files and folders make it to the same drive location. Sometimes having two drives such as external or other forms in a raid situation they lose track of the second but keep the primary one. But I would get some different suggestions beofre completely wiping the whole game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more worried that it's been 20mins and mine is still at 0% optimization...
    >>This is where I'd put a witty quote for my Signature<<
    IF I HAD ONE

Should of just put all the WoW stuff into a folder on the drive so for example "D:\world of warcraft\wow files" not "D:\wow files"

Issue Resolved, Please see OP for details.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 08:42 AM ----------

Ok so edit post is giving me issues,

Resolution

Discovered that the Launcher/downloader had by default created a folder on C. this folder contained various files.
    Copied all files from the Wow folder on C that was created erroniously by the launcher to the correct drive/folder.

and all was well with the world again.

Ok so edit post is giving me issues,

Resolution

Discovered that the Launcher/downloader had by default created a folder on C. this folder contained various files.
    Copied all files from the Wow folder on C that was created erroniously by the launcher to the correct drive/folder.

and all was well with the world again.

So I'm trying to download the new patch and it's making download all 12gigs again. This doesn't seem right.

Thanks for posting this. Is there any way you could give me the exact name of the folder that was erroneously created or any of the files in it? I'm having a very similar issue and can't seem to find any WoW-related files hanging around where they don't belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethander View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Is there any way you could give me the exact name of the folder that was erroneously created or any of the files in it? I'm having a very similar issue and can't seem to find any WoW-related files hanging around where they don't belong.
    I'm likewise experiencing this bug. could it be because I have a 64-bit client?

Quote Originally Posted by Danshot View Post
    I'm honestly not sure. Like OP, I'm having this issue on my girlfriend's computer, and I don't think she is using the 64-bit client. There do seem to be issues with trying to update using it, but unfortunately I just registered here and can't post a link for you yet.

Speaking of which, since I have the patch downloaded on my own computer, does anyone know if there are files I can just transfer over to hers? Might be a dumb question but worth a try.

Mine was 0% for a long time - 20+ min. Left and came back in 30 min or so and it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Omgakitty View Post
    Mine was 0% for a long time - 20+ min. Left and came back in 30 min or so and it was done.
    Hmm guess I shall leave it over night in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Omgakitty View Post
    Hoping this happens for me as well, woke up this morning, started this, took a shower got dressed and it's sitting at 3%. Hope to not come home from work and have a failed message waiting for me.
    My hunter is the genetic love child of Liam Neeson, the Dos Equis guy and Chuck Norris. You lose.

<broken image snip>

With the previous updates on the 64bit client you had to remove the following files first. Battle.net-64.dll, MovieProxy.exe and WoW-64.exe. I have not heared of a change for this update so I am assuming you have to delete these files first and then run the update. You did not state if this was done or not. Hopefully it solves your issue.
    Last edited by Sauril; 2012-08-28 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauril View Post
    With the previous updates on the 64bit client you had to remove the following files first. Battle.net-64.dll, MovieProxy.exe and WoW-64.exe. I have not heared of a change for this update so I am assuming you have to delete these files first and then run the update. You did not state if this was done or not. Hopefully it solves your issue.
    I've done it after posting that, and it didn't fix the issue. I ran repair, and I'm still sunk.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 09:19 AM ----------

Well I fixed it. My game used to be played out of Windows.old, and I just cut and pasted the folder from that to my program files x86.

I've done it after posting that, and it didn't fix the issue. I ran repair, and I'm still sunk.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 09:19 AM ----------

Well I fixed it. My game used to be played out of Windows.old, and I just cut and pasted the folder from that to my program files x86.
    my GF's was similar, it had been installed on C, then CATA outsized that drive so i moved it. Looks like somewhere in the code or setup or something there's a registry entry pointing back to the old folder location. Copied the WHOLE thing. ie Crogram files\World of Warcraft to the real folder it's currently in.

I had the 64 bit client on mine, Had no trouble with the update this morning without replacing the EXE's, but we will see after servers are up.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    64bit client here no issues at all updated and installed with no hassle, just installed my updated custom UI and addons ready for when servers are back up.

One question to most here how fragmented are the files your hard drives as that can make things take longer.
    Last edited by grexly75; 2012-08-28 at 04:19 PM.

Your info is too vague; Which files did you copy to D drive and EXACTLY where on it? I tried copying the battle.net DIR to D drive and it still doesn't work. I then copied it to World of Warcraft and it still didn't work.

If your optimization is sitting at 0%, don't worry. I was just sitting, watching my Launcher do absolutely nothing when BAM! The Launcher was finished optimizing all-of-a-sudden and I was able to log in after a 500mb download.

Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy View Post
    I'm more worried that it's been 20mins and mine is still at 0% optimization...
    don't worry, i was there for about 30 mins, after about 45 i'm at 28% and downloading patch data