Thread: Hard RPGS?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hard RPGS?

Can anybody recommend any good hard RPG's to play through?

Pref with fairly good graphics. Cant really stand the crappy 2d indy dev look.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Can anybody recommend any good hard RPG's to play through?

Pref with fairly good graphics. Cant really stand the crappy 2d indy dev look.
    try Xenoblade, hardcore jrpg

best JRPG of the last decade

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Souls is one of the hardest out there and it just got released for PC too...
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2012-08-28 at 02:40 PM.

Deleted
    most RPG's have mods or even entirely new campaigns made by players that dramatically increase the difficulty. and you can gimp your build in single player RPG's to get extra challenge. or you can try going through undergeared or underleveled.

If you're looking for a hard turn based RPG, try Lost Odyssey for the xbox 360.

Dark souls or witcher 2 on dark mode.

Deleted
    Temple of Elemental Evil , the only game where i died and lost the game in the tutorial

Deleted
    Yeah Lost Odyssey has a pretty tough difficulty curve. Spent about a month on the 2nd boss (the first real one) - there's a very specific solution which you can look up and it will make the fight so much easier. But if you want to stay hardcore don't look it up.

Dark Souls is awesome imo.
    They know how to milk the cow.

either of the souls games.

dark souls hates you and will die.
    and demon's souls will rape your soul.

How long would it take me to complete Dark souls?

How long would it take me to complete Dark souls?
    for one run through of the whole game?
    about 20-25 hours playtime, but the game really cranks it up during the second play-through.

and thats not even counting PvP.
    Last edited by mordale; 2012-08-28 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    for one run through of the whole game?
    about 20-25 hours playtime, but the game really cranks it up during the second play-through.

and that not even counting PvP.
    Sounds a bit short to be honest.

Short, maybe... But it has incredibly satisfying gameplay, and the best I have played in years! Also, if you plan on platinum, it took me around 120hrs to do which was still damn fun!
    Last edited by OtakuD; 2012-08-28 at 06:43 PM.

Will get it on 360 if I can find it cheap.

then again I'm basing it on my own time and i played with a guide, so it'll likely be longer with the added content and not using a guide.
    and the fact i was rushing to into PvP asap.

but it really is the cream of the crop in terms of quality of gameplay and challenge.
    its not withholding vital information from you(like the witcher games) or using stupefyingly over-complicated combat systems that in the end bog you down.

you get a small kit of things you can do and you can add a little to it but it will always be small, the challenge comes in honing your character to best suit how you play and how best to cover your weaknesses.

oh and pick the skelly key as your starting item, its really the only practical choice.
    you can get nearly all the other starting items later in the game.
    the locket can be found on the alter in the chapel later on in the game, it'll allow you to learn more about the character's story in the second play-through,
    Last edited by mordale; 2012-08-28 at 06:57 PM.

Try rusty hearts i guess,. if you dont mind the shitton of bugs and lack of bugfixes in general.

The Last Remnant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galvayra View Post
    Temple of Elemental Evil , the only game where i died and lost the game in the tutorial
    Seconded. If you don't know true, hard D&D, TOEE is going to kill every member of your party six times before they hit the ground.

If you consider Roguelikes to be a flavor of RPG (I do), one of the most accessible is Dungeons of Dredmor, you can get it on Steam for like $5. Great sense of humor, a newbie-friendly graphic interface instead of the ASCII typical to Roguelikes, and it's still respectably difficult.

If you REALLY want to stretch the RPG moniker, The Binding of Isaac also technically falls under the portfolio of Roguelikes, and it's brutally difficult for newcomers and still remains respectably difficult even after you understand it.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Seconded. If you don't know true, hard D&D, TOEE is going to kill every member of your party six times before they hit the ground.

If you consider Roguelikes to be a flavor of RPG (I do), one of the most accessible is Dungeons of Dredmor, you can get it on Steam for like $5. Great sense of humor, a newbie-friendly graphic interface instead of the ASCII typical to Roguelikes, and it's still respectably difficult.

If you REALLY want to stretch the RPG moniker, The Binding of Isaac also technically falls under the portfolio of Roguelikes, and it's brutally difficult for newcomers and still remains respectably difficult even after you understand it.
    What version is Temple of Elemental Evil? Because if it's 3 or 3.5, I'd be all over that shit, and I've never played it, but a hardcore D&D RPG that remains faithful to actual game mechanics sounds badass.