Thread: Gw2 dvd...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    2MB-2.4MB
    You speak as if 2mb connections are normal / average in South Africa, New Zealand, Australia... heh..

Quote Originally Posted by Himora View Post
    Sorry but iv tried most mmo's released, NONE have required that type of download on launch day with the discs. the discs are generally there for people that cannot download that type of sizes...
    IIRC, I had a 3-4gig download for SW:TOR after the discs. However, the game specifically states on its box that broadband internet is a minimum system requirement. If you're not capable of downloading at broadband speeds, what makes you believe your actual gameplay won't be horrid? Or will that be their fault, too?

Deleted
    Sorry but iv tried most mmo's released, NONE have required that type of download on launch day with the discs. the discs are generally there for people that cannot download that type of sizes...
    WoW with multiple disks sais hi. :P I think vanilla was 4 discs for me to install.

I can't see how he has 3G speeds and yet only downloading at 45kbps. i am just using Broadband from my Cable provider and im not the only person on atm and im downloading guild wars 2 right now at 2MB-2.4MB a sec. maybe he needs to change his firewall or something cause 3G is faster then what i am running. my ISP label's my internet speed at 20MBS *i call BS on* and i download at 2MBS depending where i download from.

edit: also 45kbps is dile up speed. unless u mean 450kbps
    Unlikely that your ISP labels it 20MBs. ISPs typically label using Mb not MB, because Mb looks bigger. (Megabit = Mb, Megabyte = MB).

A 20Mb connection would download at ~2.5MBs max.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

You speak as if 2mb connections are normal / average in South Africa, New Zealand, Australia... heh..
    yep where i am at in the US that's my speed even tho my ISP says its 20Mbs and i know its not lol. they did this whole pay 5$ more and u go from 10mbs to 20mbs i have yet to notice a difference and that's why i call bs about it lol. but it works fine for what i do.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by vicious796 View Post
    IIRC, I had a 3-4gig download for SW:TOR after the discs. However, the game specifically states on its box that broadband internet is a minimum system requirement. If you're not capable of downloading at broadband speeds, what makes you believe your actual gameplay won't be horrid? Or will that be their fault, too?
    200/250ms ping in games are very much acceptable. anything over 500 is not. with my "good" speed internet where i stay..... i download at 65kbps, and i can assure you i'm not the only one.. why not let it be like wow and play the game while it downloads in the background? on launch day.. with the fresh launch disks... lol omg.. $#$@@!

200/250ms ping in games are very much acceptable. anything over 500 is not. with my "good" speed internet where i stay..... i download at 65kbps, and i can assure you i'm not the only one.. why not let it be like wow and play the game while it downloads in the background? on launch day.. with the fresh launch disks... lol omg.. $#$@@!
    65kbps? Throw the ping out the window, you won't be able to transmit enough data to move within 5 minutes.

yep where i am at in the US that's my speed even tho my ISP says its 20Mbs and i know its not lol. they did this whole pay 5$ more and u go from 10mbs to 20mbs i have yet to notice a difference and that's why i call bs about it lol. but it works fine for what i do.
    there are countries outside of america and i assure you many many many mmo junkies...most of them do not have that kind of great internet speeds. they dont even offer 20mbps here, you got any idea how lucky you are to be able to have that kind of internet speed you seem to take for granted?
    Last edited by Himora; 2012-08-28 at 05:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do know there's a difference between MBps(Megabytes) and Mbps(Megabits)?

Take your 20 Mbps and divide it by 8. That gives you 2.5 MBps...

You said you download around 2-2.4 MBps? Sounds right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    Unlikely that your ISP labels it 20MBs. ISPs typically label using Mb not MB, because Mb looks bigger. (Megabit = Mb, Megabyte = MB).

A 20Mb connection would download at ~2.5MBs max.
    i was downloading at 2mb back when they said i had 10mb and then i payed the extra 5$ with no change in speed at all and there commercial shows 20MB with the new *at the time Insight 20.0 setup* that is what they called it.

Link to the official site of my ISP:http://www.myinsight.com/Product-Bro...roadband20.asp
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

I think a lot of people are confusing things here. Dialup (56k, which is Kilobits) goes MAX 7 KB/s (Kilobytes). People getting 40-70 KB/s are likely on ADSL.

i was downloading at 2mb back when they said i had 10mb and then i payed the extra 5$ with no change in speed at all and there commercial shows 20MB with the new *at the time Insight 20.0 setup* that is what they called it.

Link to the official site of my ISP:http://www.myinsight.com/Product-Bro...roadband20.asp
    Yep site says 20Mbps (megabits per second) which equals 2.5 Megabytes per second max. 8 bits = 1 byte.
    Last edited by Grraarrgghh; 2012-08-28 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post
    You do know there's a difference between MBps(Megabytes) and Mbps(Megabits)?

Take your 20 Mbps and divide it by 8. That gives you 2.5 MBps...

You said you download around 2-2.4 MBps? Sounds right to me.
    my original point was i was downloading at this speed before upgrading and not trying to derail this topic.

also my other original point was to the person i replyed to telling them there is no way that he has 3g speed and only downloading at 45kbps that's dileup speed. 3g is better then what i got and im downloading at 2mb.

my original point was i was downloading at this speed before upgrading and not trying to derail this topic.

also my other original point was to the person i replyed to telling them there is no way that he has 3g speed and only downloading at 45kbps that's dileup speed. 3g is better then what i got and im downloading at 2mb.
    3G is capable of a theoretical maximum of 1.4Mbps (megabits per second) but performs generally between 600Kbps and 1.4Mbps. That means it will download at 75-175KBps which is really quite slow.

For comparison, 4G is rated anywhere from 3Mbps to 12Mbps depending on your provider and location, and can hit 375KBps to 1.5MBps.
    Last edited by Grraarrgghh; 2012-08-28 at 05:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moral of the story: You shouldn't even be attempting to play GW2 unless you have a suitable broadband connection.

2 weeks to download 8GB? How do you think the gameplay will be?

3G is capable of a theoretical maximum of 1.4Mbps (megabits per second) but performs generally between 600Kbps and 1.4Mbps. That means it will download at 75-175KBps which is really quite slow.
    i admit i may be getting me terms mixed up so mybad on that but my point is that even with the speed u just posted 8gigs would not take 2 weeks. im downloading gw2 now started around 1pm *my time* and its 1:53pm *my time* and i am at 25% downloading at 2MB-2.4MB/sec. so even if he downloads at half the speed as me it would take 2x the time it takes me if not a tad longer.

I can't see how he has 3G speeds and yet only downloading at 45kbps. i am just using Broadband from my Cable provider and im not the only person on atm and im downloading guild wars 2 right now at 2MB-2.4MB a sec. maybe he needs to change his firewall or something cause 3G is faster then what i am running. my ISP label's my internet speed at 20MBS *i call BS on* and i download at 2MBS depending where i download from.

edit: also 45kbps is dile up speed. unless u mean 450kbps
    Let's clear up some terminology

KBps (Kilobytes per second)
    Kbps (Kilobits per second)
    Mbps (Megabits per second, what most people are familiar with)

I said he was download at 45KBps (360 Kbps or 0.35 Mbps). That's just below 3G speeds (3G is listed as 400 Kbps), and if you have much experience in 3G (I manage a network of 2,500 machines that are all connected via 3G, and trust me, getting 360 Kbps is pretty dang good, I'd say I average closer to 200 Kbps across my network) you will know that the speeds he is getting aren't terrible. Either way, not everyone in the world has high speed internet available to them (I live in the US, as do my parents, but they live in rural Indiana, and their only option for Internet is DIAL-UP, Satellite, or 3G).

But the point I've tried to make is you can't expect Anet to sit still, you can't expect them not to update the game, and unfortunately you can't download these updates if you're on super slow internet nor really expect to stay under your monthly caps if you are on metered service. My recommendation, find someplace that has free WiFi and go download it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post
    Moral of the story: You shouldn't even be attempting to play GW2 unless you have a suitable broadband connection.

2 weeks to download 8GB? How do you think the gameplay will be?
    Like wow, rift, swtor, eve, aoc, d3 i was hoping :O clearly not.. they got launch right for those not in usa / uk @_@
    Last edited by Himora; 2012-08-28 at 06:00 PM.

i admit i may be getting me terms mixed up so mybad on that but my point is that even with the speed u just posted 8gigs would not take 2 weeks. im downloading gw2 now started around 1pm *my time* and its 1:53pm *my time* and i am at 25% downloading at 2MB-2.4MB/sec. so even if he downloads at half the speed as me it would take 2x the time it takes me if not a tad longer.
    Well lets say he gets the median speed of 1Mbps, or .125MBps, an 8GB file would take 1066.666etc minutes, or 17.777etc hours. So definitely not 2 weeks unless his connection keeps dropping to 2G because of a bad signal.

Well lets say he gets the median speed of 1Mbps, or .125MBps, an 8GB file would take 1066.666etc minutes, or 17.777etc hours. So definitely not 2 weeks unless his connection keeps dropping to 2G because of a bad signal.
    thats my point in no way is it taking him 2weeks

Quote Originally Posted by zaphon View Post

But the point I've tried to make is you can't expect Anet to sit still, you can't expect them not to update the game, and unfortunately you can't download these updates if you're on super slow internet nor really expect to stay under your monthly caps if you are on metered service. My recommendation, find someplace that has free WiFi and go download it from there.

i hate to be "that" person, but... WoW allows you to download in the background WHILE playing the game... eeeekkk!! and yes that was unbeleivably great for most people