Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The Abyssal Maw: A Fan Raid Concept

Edit: You can now follow the construction process on twitter!

Ever so upset over the cancellation of the Abyssal Maw raid, I took it upon myself to design it myself. Using assets already provided to me by Blizzard's fantastic design team, I have begun construction of a fan design that is quite large in scope.

Welcome to the Abyssal Maw

Much like the glorious Golden Yak, I, too, have been creating a Wowpedia page that emulates the pages of dungeons and raids. There, I will be consistently updating information and posting images.

The Abyssal Maw at Wowpedia

Vashj'ir is one of my favorite zones of all time, and, although I found the content uninteresting, the aesthetic of the Throne of the Tides dungeon was absolutely stunning. The Abyssal Maw raid, in my opinion, had great potential to introduce the WoW playerbase to a fantastic instance filled with several different creatures and storylines. The raid picks up where the unfinished story arc left off after Ozumat kidnaps Neptulon the Tidehunter, introducing several new characters and bringing back some familiar faces.

So, for those who just want to take a look at the raid quickly, here is what I'm planning:

* A HUGE raid split into three primary wings that eventually lead into a final wing. Think Naxx meets ICC.[/B]
    * Eleven boss encounters, including one heroic-only encounter and a boss that is dependent on your faction.
    * Very little actual underwater movement like Vashj'ir, though one boss battle consists of purely underwater combat.
    * There will be a naga wing (The Nazjatar Embassy), an old god wing (the Abyssal Taint), and an elemental wing (Halls of the Tidehunter) before entering the Throne of the Tides once more to face the evils that await.
    * Returning characters include Duke Hydraxis, General Nazgrim, Admiral Taylor, Captains "Jewels" Verne and Glovaal, the Frost Lord Ahune, Ozumat, and Neptulon.
    * No, you won't find N'Zoth...well, not his body, at least...

As a reminder, all of this information can be found on Wowpedia. If there is a (PH) next to a text or picture, it is a placeholder.

MAPS
    Raid Overview (unfinished and in-progress)

Waterlords' Pavilion

The Nazjatar Embassy

[CENTER]
    Temple of Drowned Worshipers

The Abyssal Taint

Submarine Invasion (coming soon)

Halls of the Tidehunter

Ozumat's Stand

Throne of the Tides

Ny'alotha (coming soon)

THE ABYSSAL MAW'S BOSSES (Click Links for Abilities!)

Duke Hydraxis
    Years ago, Duke Hydraxis recruited adventurers to assist his Hydraxian Waterlords in defeating Ragnaros the Firelord within the Molten Core. Seemingly vanished following the Sundering, Hydraxis returned to rescue his master from the clutches of N'Zoth. Unfortunately, the duke became corrupted himself by the Old God, black blood coursing through his waters. Should he remain this way, his significant power would be of great use to the Old God...and devastating for those who oppose it.

Council of the Serpent
    Tharnalesh. Odra'ir. Jir'thara. Svessper. Within Queen Azshara's naga kingdoms, these names strike fear within the populace. These four master warriors, collectively called the Council of the Serpent, are some of the queen's greatest servants, often being sent to deal with problems that no average naga could resolve. As leaders of the naga forces in Vashj'ir, they represent Azshara's empire within the Abyssal Maw, vying to solidify an alliance with the Old Gods.

Drottinn Bruundor
    Crowned Drottinn of the Kvaldir following his father Hrothgar's death during the campaign against the Lich King, Bruundor entered the depths of the Abyssal Maw to personally oversee the destruction of the hated naga. It was a welcome surprise to find that the Horde and the Alliance, both of which he condemns for his father's murder, had sent their own heroes into the Maw. Once he "helps" them destroy the naga, Drottinn Bruundor's time for vengeance will come.

Wuan Xu
    Dragon turtle patriarch from Pandaria imbued with the power of N'Zoth. (PH)

Drrah'xax the Engulfer
    Faceless leader from Ny'alotha attempting to solidify the alliance between the naga and the Old Gods. (PH)

Regent Firelord
    With the death of Ragnaros, the ever ambitious Thermorok was deemed regent lord of the Firelands. Exploiting the chaotic state of the Abyssal Maw, Thermorok aims to invade and destroy the elemental plane of water. (PH)

Ahune
    After being banished back to the Frostland year after year, the Frost Lord Ahune is angered after seeing his annual murderers march into his master's domain. This time, the battle rages on his territory. (PH)

Submarine Invasion
    Commandeering the Mega Verne and the Pincer X3 respectively, Captains Verne and Glovaal lead an underwater scouting mission for their respective factions, surveying the events throughout the expanse of the Abyssal Maw. When opportunity strikes and the opposing faction decides to board their new machines, the clever captains have plenty of deadly surprises awaiting them. (PH)

Ozumat
    The Tidehunter's kidnapper has fought the will of the naga only to be completely consumed by the Old God N'Zoth. (PH)

Neptulon the Tideblighter
    The Elemental Lord of Water has been corrupted by the black blood of N'Zoth. If his rage is not subsided, it could spell doom for all life on Azeroth. (PH)

Deep within the sleeping city, the Old God N'Zoth enacts its plan to corrupt Azeroth. As a last wall of defense, it sends its own avatar, a being that shares N'Zoth's mind and power, to slaughter the fools who dared to step foot in Ny'alotha. (PH)

SUBZONES (Descriptions Coming Soon!)
    Waterlords' Pavilion
    The Nazjatar Embassy
    Tainted Reaches
    Halls of the Tidehunter
    Throne of the Tides
    Ny'alotha

There is more information on Wowpedia, including assisting NPCs and achievements. This post will be periodically updated with more information as it is created.
    Last edited by nakabeast; 2012-10-15 at 01:45 AM.
    Forge of Goblinium, a fan raid concept: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-of-Goblinium

Last update: 5/22

10+ Year Old Account
    You need to be hired by Blizzard. Right. Now. Seriously, this is amazing. Would much rather have had this than the Firelands raid!
    Formerly The Dwarf Lover (TDL)

I like what I'm reading so far, and I had a hearty laugh at Captain "Jewels" Verne.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    This really looks amazing. I am looking forward to anything you are adding to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    I can see who votes against that, and I can ban. Just saying.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    I like what I'm reading so far, and I had a hearty laugh at Captain "Jewels" Verne.
    That's actually the name of the captain of the horde submarine in Vashj'ir.
    Moorden (Main)

Deleted
    Not sure about the concept, but you put thought in it. So +1 internets for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Moorden View Post
    That's actually the name of the captain of the horde submarine in Vashj'ir.
    Ah, gotcha. I never quested through Vashj'ir, so...
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    great read! looking forward to seeing you complete this
    Your speaker volume BETRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dwarf Lover View Post
    You need to be hired by Blizzard. Right. Now. Seriously, this is amazing. Would much rather have had this than the Firelands raid!
    That's the end goal, my friend! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    I totally wish I could take credit for that name. He's actually the submarine captain for the Horde side of Vashj'ir questing. Blizzard's much wittier than I. And thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fire Gives a Buff View Post
    This really looks amazing. I am looking forward to anything you are adding to this.
    I'm glad to hear it...there's PLENTY more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Not sure about the concept, but you put thought in it. So +1 internets for you!
    It's my passion to design things like this, so thank you. It's nice to see somebody's effort being appreciated
    Forge of Goblinium, a fan raid concept: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-of-Goblinium

If they had people like you working for them, instead of the ones that made Firelands and Dragonsoul, I might still be playing.

It looks amazing so far. Its good to see that your raid contains 11 bosses, like in the good old Ulduar and ICC raids. I've always liked having a lot of bosses in one raid, and to be honest I've never heard anyone complaining about having too much bosses in 1 raid.

The submarine invasion looks promising, will it be a gunship-style battle like the one in ICC?

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    If they had people like you working for them, instead of the ones that made Firelands and Dragonsoul, I might still be playing.
    That's quite an honor! Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    It looks amazing so far. Its good to see that your raid contains 11 bosses, like in the good old Ulduar and ICC raids. I've always liked having a lot of bosses in one raid, and to be honest I've never heard anyone complaining about having too much bosses in 1 raid.

The submarine invasion looks promising, will it be a gunship-style battle like the one in ICC?
    I was really shooting for a gigantic raid experience. I miss the days of giant instances.

As for the Submarine Invasion, it's not exactly the same as Lootship. How it works is that after two wings of the raid have been completed, the Alliance will board the Horde sub and the Horde will board the Alliance sub. The first phase of the encounter is attacking the sub's defenses and the other phases consist of the players will facing the enemy captain with a bunch of gizmos and traps. I haven't quite figured out how it will work quite yet, but I hope that answers your question.

Deleted
    Looks very good !
    Do you think that all of your raid concept could be in the Abyssal Maw we see in my video ? (check signature for the link )

Looking forward to the continuation

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading this actually depressed me.

Not because I didn't like it (quite the opposite), but because this writeup sounds better than basically everything Blizzard has done since Ulduar.

Well done sir.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Would have been so cool. Especially the heroic only last boss. I would have liked some dark blueish gear with lots of water particles too.

Randoms fans thinking up better raids than Blizzard.

You can't make this stuff up.
    Last edited by dd614; 2012-08-29 at 01:05 AM.

Thanks for all your words of support!

I will be posting an update tomorrow. Also, if you wish to follow the production of the project, follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/JakeMuronaka

A small map update.

The Nazjatar Embassy is one of the three primary wings of the Abyssal Maw. It is here where Queen Azshara has sent four ambassadors of Nazjatar, known as the Council of the Serpent, to secure a lasting relationship with the Old God N'Zoth. The embassy is also a temple, modeled off naga and ancient kaldorei architecture. The players, along with the Kvaldir led by Drottin Bruundor, are trying to stop the naga presence within the Abyssal Maw.

The Nazjatar Embassy

Temple of Drowned Worshipers

Currently working on the maps for the rest of the raid. Stay tuned!

Always kinda nice to see what some people can come up with. =)

I badly need to ask, how do you create these maps? Do you draw them yourself? I'd love to make some of these maps myself :P

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Randoms fans thinking up better raids than Blizzard.

You can't make this stuff up.
    Look in the following thread I'll link, and you'll see a shitload amount of awesome raids, better than any nowadays Blizzard raid :P

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Make-Your-Raid