Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Espada View Post
    The only thing about that list is that for some reason it excludes the DPS tier. And both the helm and the pants are better for tanking for my taste (not giving that much value to stam in 10 mans) than the tanking ones. Good times. Will take the pants of dps instead of helm I suppose, I'm paying mastery to get enough expertise, even at 493 lvl. Enough heroics will take care of that I suppose, but the drops are slow to drop.
    Which brings us back to there's no best in slot list. :P

I do agree with you on barrier. It would be nice to shave off a 30 rage one while I have 90 rage and be able to block when it's off CD.

On the new patch today, should we be spending our valor on upgrading our shield, or our trinkets first? I know it probably depends on what you have yaddayada, but lets say you have BiS/equal ilvl trinks/wep/sheild, which would be the bigger tank upgrade?

Im thinking upgrading your shield twice would be better than upgrading a trinket twice (ie. in that order), but im interested to hear your thoughts. Maybe there is one trinket that is so OP that you want that upgraded twice? Discus- the best sport ;p

[edit - if you want a non-theoretical situation, i have the normal shield off spirit kings, relic of nuizao, and vial of dragons blood (normal)]
    Last edited by Tehdilgerer; 2012-11-27 at 11:57 PM.

Deleted
    Shield first, purely due to the armor and it being a fairly easy one to get that's BiS
    After that I would probably suggest trinkets, the trash one atleast as for most fights you will be using that one
    After that I would say the HC axe of Elegon or Lei Shi Heroic weapon then Chest > Legs > Head > Shoulders etc...

Basically just go with whatever you have best in slot of, and to keep it simple prioritize relative to its Armor Value as in highest first

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    Shield first, purely due to the armor and it being a fairly easy one to get that's BiS
    After that I would probably suggest trinkets, the trash one atleast as for most fights you will be using that one
    After that I would say the HC axe of Elegon or Lei Shi Heroic weapon then Chest > Legs > Head > Shoulders etc...

Basically just go with whatever you have best in slot of, and to keep it simple prioritize relative to its Armor Value as in highest first
    I'm not sure it's worth it to upgrade any piece that adds armor. Upgrading your shield will add 240 armor, or approximately 0.1% damage reduction per upgrade. Most of the other slots are closer to a 0.01% damage reduction increase. Overall I'm pretty underwhelmed at our 'upgrade' option. Even trinkets seem like weak upgrades, 44 stam or 44 mastery depending on which trinkets you're using are such small increases it hardly seems worth the 750 valor. We're talking less than 20% of a gem's increase.

15+ Year Old Account
    in a nutshell, you won't ever upgrade every item.

so go with the items with highest itembudget first. for "normal" people it would be the weapon first, because this has the highest impact on damage/healing.
    then there are three groups of items:
    High budget (chest, legs, helm)
    medium budget (shoulders, gloves, belt, feet)
    low budget (the rest, including offhands and shields)
    and the special group I honestly never would upgrade via VP: the trinkets.

for Tank warriors, I'd say weapon is completely irrelevant. there's exactly one spell that scales with the weapon, and this is devastate. the Shield is also questionable, it has higher armor than normal items, but from the item budget in general, it is in the low budget group.
    But the shield is actually in the lower item budget group, so I don't think it should be first priority for warriors...

Deleted
    If I am completely honest, I'm not excited or anxious to upgrade my items. As a rule of thumb, I would upgrade the high budget items first, since you will get more out of them but at this point, especially considering how minute the upgrades in comparison to their cost, I will rather spend my valors on off-spec gear and wait for better gear to drop from the actual raids.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    I will rather spend my valors on off-spec gear and wait for better gear to drop from the actual raids.
    I don't have this opportunity, because reputation grind my a**.
    I have GL honored as reputation, and that's about it.

I think I will upgrade my chest and gloves, because those are the 496 crafts I have, and my head and legs with my justice points, because they are still 463.

but that's pretty much all I'm gonna do for now. It will take some time until I have anough VP again anyways.

Deleted
    Thank you for this thread

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixrising1 View Post
    Thank you for this thread
    You're welcome, ; )

Great thread, but the title makes me want to stab my eyes out...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luubox View Post
    Looks fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Luubox View Post
    I do believe English is the OP's second language. Could be wrong but it sure as hell sounds like it.

Deleted
    Hum, :-) not sure what's wrong with the title.

''The Warrior Protector of the Pandarian Mists'' only means ''The Protection Warrior of MoP'',
    said in a more ''RP'' way, you know, to add a little originality/freshness to it, that's it really.

Too bad it makes you wanna poke your eyes out, :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    If I am completely honest, I'm not excited or anxious to upgrade my items. As a rule of thumb, I would upgrade the high budget items first, since you will get more out of them but at this point, especially considering how minute the upgrades in comparison to their cost, I will rather spend my valors on off-spec gear and wait for better gear to drop from the actual raids.
    To be quite honest I'm glad the VP upgrades are kind of underwhelming so to speak. I don't think they're are needed nor should the upgrades themselves represent otherwise. I think it will be a nice buffer for when people don't need valor anymore and they're kind of hitting a wall. I cann see those slight VP upgrades being really nice when my guild finally does get to heroics and starts hitting the harder ones. The legs off of vizier wont drop for me so i'll be buying my VP legs this legs and wont even have a chance to upgrade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Armwack View Post
    The legs off of vizier wont drop for me so i'll be buying my VP legs this legs and wont even have a chance to upgrade.
    This is really the way to go. If you still need VP gear, you should buy them first, instead of upgrading other pieces.

8-ilvls costs 1500 VP with the upgrade system, while most of the time you'll be able to get more ilvls at a cheaper VP price, if you replaced a weaker piece with a VP-489 ilvl one instead.

In fact, I did exactly that, this week with my trinkets.

I had Jade Warlord Figurine and Relic of Niuzao, so replacing the relic by the Shado-pan, Lao-Chin's Liquid Courage, allowed me to get the second BiS trinket for this tier, and have a 13-ilvls increase for 1750 VP, instead of 8-ilvls for 1500.

Next week however, since I won't need anything else with the VP gear, I'll upgrade one of those 2 bis trinkets with 1500 points.

I recommend, you start upgrading the few BiS items you might have thus (or in other words, the ones you know for sure you'll be using till the end of this tier, or at least won't be changing anytime soon), like those two trinkets for me. For you, it might be something else - you'll have to decide for yourself, depending on the content you're doing and farming.

Maybe I missed it, but any benefit to certain racials? I'm considering transferring from Alliance to Horde (first time playing Horde) and struggling to decide which race to play. I would like to min/max if possible and pick up a racial that would benefit tanking and my DPS offspec, but I'm not seeing anything too exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by kittyb View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but any benefit to certain racials? I'm considering transferring from Alliance to Horde (first time playing Horde) and struggling to decide which race to play. I would like to min/max if possible and pick up a racial that would benefit tanking and my DPS offspec, but I'm not seeing anything too exciting.
    Tank wise there's really not. You can make an argument for nearly every race and no one really eeking too far out ahead. Horde racials seem much more offensive and the ally ones seem to be much more on the defensive side so to pick a race solely on tank benefits is going to be tough.

Yes theres the tauren stam but its like a percentage of your HP if you were standing naked, also tauren cover melee hit boxes and imo it is outrageously annoying.

BE's have a rage/silence CD
    Undead have a damage/heal CD iirc
    Tauren get stam, an aoe stun
    Panda's get a 100% food buff bonus
    Orcs get expertise increased for axes and a damage CD
    Goblins get a discount on vendor shit, a rocket launcher, and a leap CD as well as portable bank

Forgot the rest, I don't have the other races on my toons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    BE's have a rage/silence CD
    Undead have a damage/heal CD iirc
    Tauren get stam, an aoe stun
    Panda's get a 100% food buff bonus
    Orcs get expertise increased for axes and a damage CD
    Goblins get a discount on vendor shit, a rocket launcher, and a leap CD as well as portable bank

Forgot the rest, I don't have the other races on my toons.
    Just to add a couple from the alliance side:

Dwarves have the follow two that sticks out
    Stoneform -> Removes all poison, disease and bleed effects and reduces all damage taken by 10% for 8 sec
    Mace Specialization -> Expertise with Maces and Two-Handed Maces increased by 1%.

They also get %1 resistance to frost damage but that hasn't been important for a long time.

Night Elves get
    Quickness -> Increased your chance to dodge melee and ranged attacks by 2%.

Though the increased dodge chance of night elves isn't very attractive in Mop, it was very interesting during Cata.

I would say, out of the alliance races, the pandaren and dwarf racials are the most attractive abilities for tanking right now. Ofc, neither is going to make or break the game for you but if you are looking to min-max, those two are the way to go.

A quick note on the stoneform of dwarves, it does not necessarily remove all bleed effects. I remember there was a certain mob in Firelands, back in Cata, which applied a bleed and stoneform did not remove it. So take it with a pinch of salt. Otherwise though, it is a great racial for tanks.
    Last edited by mmoc6e18b67333; 2012-11-30 at 02:32 AM.

best race for a (horde) tank is Pandaren - double food buff can mean anything from 830 Stam, to 400 Mastery, to 600 Expertise etc etc. Only problem is, if you die you lose the buff - So dont die. Panda buff gives versatility between different fights, but if you want to maximise dps, maybe the others are better.

Trolls get a mini bloodlust (heroism), to add to the other guys list.