Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How important is crafting in GW2? Is it vital to leveling?

I'm not really what you would call the crafting type. In wow I rarly if ever touch my professions. I always felt crafting items to be boring. In the case of Guild Wars 2 however the 1st level 80 got there due to crafting skills. It also seems that more hardcore players like to emphasis on crafting.

The question is can I make due without it until I hit level cap? Does the crafting gear benefit you far more in this game than it does in World of Warcraft?
    Will I be able to find decent gear on my 1-80 journey without bothering to craft or is crafting important to gear acquisition?

I am not a fan of farming mats going to some guy and building things. I am more into exploring and completing objectives. So will ignoring crafting until max level effect me in any way or is crafting just an alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    I'm not really what you would call the crafting type. In wow I rarly if ever touch my professions. I always felt crafting items to be boring. In the case of Guild Wars 2 however the 1st level 80 got there due to crafting skills. It also seems that more hardcore players like to emphasis on crafting.

The question is can I make due without it until I hit level cap? Does the crafting gear benefit you far more in this game than it does in World of Warcraft?
    Will I be able to find decent gear on my 1-80 journey without bothering to craft or is crafting important to gear acquisition?

I am not a fan of farming mats going to some guy and building things. I am more into exploring and completing objectives. So will ignoring crafting until max level effect me in any way or is crafting just an alternative?
    It's not mandatory but it sure is a nice way to gain EXP while eating, talking on the phone, or holding a baby. The benefit with the gear is that you can "discover" pieces that will be tuned exactly how you want them instead of hoping for a drop.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious796 View Post
    It's not mandatory but it sure is a nice way to gain EXP while eating, talking on the phone, or holding a baby. The benefit with the gear is that you can "discover" pieces that will be tuned exactly how you want them instead of hoping for a drop.
    so gear from crafting is in fact better than alot for the most part. I'm getting the impression that it feels "mandatory". But then again I haven't past lvl 20 yet.

Can I go 1-80 just fine without it through events, discovery, hearts minus the crafting? I hate crafting in most games. :/
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2012-08-28 at 07:36 PM.

You can level from 1-80 from just crafting and someone already did it. Each crafting profession grants 10 levels and there are 8. So level each one and you will be level 80.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's that important, but I do see some craftable 12+ slot bags that I want/NEED. Other than that, I don't see much that I need that can't wait till I'm 80 and just farming, only things I do that has to do with crafting is getting all the nodes for a little xp.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 07:39 PM ----------

Can I go 1-80 just fine without it through events, discovery, hearts minus the crafting? I hate crafting in most games. :/
    Yes, yes you can, don't be afraid to try a zone that's 2-3 levels higher than you, or a zone that's 10 levels below you, you should be able to take some mobs in the higher level zones and it could be a fun challenge, and the lower level zones adjust your level to fit the zone and you level just like you would in a zone that is your level. My tailoring is 20 and I don't see it going further till I'm 80.

so gear from crafting is in fact better than alot for the most part. I'm getting the impression that it feels "mandatory". But then again I haven't past lvl 20 yet.

Once the tradeing post gets working agian it probably will not mater as there should be a good selection of gear on there at all times. Right now geting specific gear is limited to whatever you can find so your stuck with either random drops, crafting, or karma stuff. That said I've been doing find off drops/karma and havent found a big need for the crafting skills I'm working on on the side.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    You can level from 1-80 from just crafting and someone already did it. Each crafting profession grants 10 levels and there are 8. So level each one and you will be level 80.
    I hate having to stockpile my inventory with mob items then going back and forth to combine them with gather mats and bank space management. I end up getting sidetracked. This is why I asked.

More specifically is the gear from NOT crafting just as good?
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2012-08-28 at 07:41 PM.

No, not better - you just don't have to rely on RNG. I quickly replaced a piece I crafted with a green drop, however if I hadn't gotten that exact green drop I'd still have my crafted blue. See what I'm saying?

You don't have to craft at all - I believe I have no crafted gear on my character ATM despite keeping my armorsmithing up. I'm just saying it could help. Consider it a fringe benefit.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 03:44 PM ----------

I hate having to stockpile my inventory with mob items then going back and forth to combine them with gather mats and bank space management. I end up getting sidetracked. This is why I asked.

You don't have to worry about inventory management so much. You bank has a special section specifically for crafting materials that takes up no regular space. Beyond that, you don't have to go to the bank - simply right click on the item and click "deposit collectible" or press the cogwheel on your inventory box and select "deposit ALL materials" to do it all at once.

I'm pretty much ignoring any crafting... but I am gathering mats for it later on though

As long as I can get by ignoring it 1-80 I don't mind

I want to save the crafting stuff for max level but if it seems this game relays on it while leveling this will be kind of a turn off for me.

As for RNG drops doesn't every class need a little bit of every stat?

To be honest gear is not that much decisive in the game overall (I would say), so the drops will serve you just as good . I think you are worrying too much, not to mention that alot of the times you can even buy the crafted stuff on the /map chat or even trading post (whenever thats up). Just be sure to gather materials for the exp while you level and sell them for money.

As long as I can get by ignoring it 1-80 I don't mind

I want to save the crafting stuff for max level but if it seems this game relays on it while leveling this will be kind of a turn off for me.

As for RNG drops doesn't every class need a little bit of every stat?
    You can ignore yes.

And at some point you will have (to think) a build for your character. You don't need a bit of everything, but balance has its pros and cons as much as a crit based build has its cons and pros.
    Last edited by Zilong; 2012-08-28 at 07:51 PM.

quick question can mob specific mats be deposited into your bank in the same way that gathered mats can?

As in not having to run to a bank NPC and depositing them? Things like totems and scales?
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2012-08-28 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilqq View Post
    Yes, they work the same way.
    Great I have been clogging my inventory with venom sacs totems and scales so this is nice to know. Makes alot my complains feel less problematic.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Leveling a trade grants you 10 character levels. So yeah, I'd say it's worth the investment. If you front load materials for an alt, you can sit in the main city and level to 20 (2 x 10) before you ever hit your first heart quest in the starting zone. That's a significant leg up, even considering level scaling.

Probably my most favorite feature so far.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

If you hit the little cogwheel in your inventory, you can have it deposit every collectible item in your inventory at once

Great I have been clogging my inventory with venom sacs totems and scales so this is nice to know. Makes alot my complains feel less problematic.
    There are only a few crafting items that cant be deposited remotely that you'll gather out in the field. Those are relitivly rare to run accross, things like onyx shard and such. Sub componants you craft also cant be deposited but considering you manualy are crafting those at a crafting table with bank access thats of minimul concern other than them takeing up bank slots.

And to answer your question from earlier crafted gear is no better or worse than gear of comperable quality and item level obtained in any other way. Its main advantage is its easier to get specific stats right now instead of haveing to hunt all over the place for what you want. If your not too picky on your stats while leveling just grab whatever off the karma vendors as you go and you'll be just fine.

Who is John Galt?

I made a video for leveling armorsmithing from 1-75 quickly/efficiently. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTBMq...ature=youtu.be
    If you watch my XP bar throughout the video, you can see that I gained 75% of a level (At level 30). This was just doing the lowest level crafting possible, and only 1 of my 2 tradeskills. Crafting will definetly make you level up way faster. It also gives you level appropriate gear while you do so. I know I was stuck with level 15 or so items until I hit level 30. There can be large droughts that crafting takes care of for you.

Deleted
    You don't need to do it, but it's quite nice really. You'll be gathering anyway for the dailies, and being able to send collectables direct to bank is brilliant.

Creating is also quite good once you figure it out, the whole discoveries thing is great, as is faster crafts for batches, normally I hate crafting but anet seam to have made it pretty interesting for a change.

The problem with gear in wow is the xp has been neared in a way that there is no way you can craft enough to keep up gear at your current level and boa is so OP why would you bother..

In this game the crafting can outpace your level easy and get you better gear than karma vendors can provide (granted once you can get racial gear it will be way better until you level out of it.

Also the xp from crafting is really nice every couple of levels I'll stop and craft and normally get an extra level from the discovery stuff.