Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    My main is lvl 9... and it's a Warrior. My alts are lvl 10 ( Ranger ) and lvl... 22 ( Elementalist )

I have a different sort of flow when it comes to leveling. I don't want to burn out on my warrior to soon, so I tend to switch between toons when I don't feel like playing the class anymore. Today I had a really lovely mood for walking around with my pet, and tommorow I will have a mood to smash things while dual-wielding...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Thief is ffxi had nothing to do with stealth, or 'rogue-classes' in general though... It was the dualwielding DD class. But I do think ffxi's thief is more similar to GW2's thief, than rogue - luckily.
    Only dual wield if /NIN

Nope. Guardian is so much fun for me. I´m enjoying it so much that I can´t make myself try the other professions

10+ Year Old Account
    Sort of. Was going to main an Charr Engineer. But it felt so weird and dual wielding pistols didn't work out as planned (since engineers only autofire with one of them.) My main is now a Human Ranger. I love her. Also love my rifle wielding warrior, human thief and asura engineer who tosses grenades like a mother skunker.

So in the end, yes. My planned main was a dud. But I like how things turned out.

"With King's Light and Lion's Roar, By kingdom's pact, our spirits soar, Against the Darkness, we stand in defiance, Even in death, Glory to the Alliance!" - Ken Silver, Human Hunter

Deleted
    I have to say I leveled to 20 as an asura engineer, I really love the asura and the starting area and my thought behind choosing the engineer was the whole turret/kit play instead of switching between weapons, what I rapidly found out whilst leveling and playing pvp is whilst leveling the turrets get aggro pretty quickly and die ever quicker, pvp is too dynamic (unless done with a proper team with communication) to allow for any real use of the turrets apart from to defend a point against 1 MAYBE 2 people.

EDIT: Also the turrent has too long a cooldown for me, I think if it had maybe a 5-10 cd then I'd have maybe enjoyed using them more

The kits don't give any real reward in being switched about so I had the bomb/grenade and flamethrower but only ever needed to use one at a time because they all have a cc/conditions etc. maybe it was just it didn't agree with my playstyle but I found them very lackluster.

I've since been leveling a necro which I'm really really enjoying and feel great using death shroud builds and the different weapon choices...My friend called me an idiot for not playing one as I have a 407ilvl warlock and I knew I'd appreciate the type of gamestyle brought by the necro

Hope you guys are enjoying GW2 as much as me!
    Last edited by mmoc455020c1a7; 2012-08-28 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Nope. As soon as I realized I couldn't micromanage an Elementalist (early tournament footage, pre BWE1) I went with Mesmer and found myself loving every little bit of it. So so much.
    That sucks to hear cause I am in love with my Elementalist. I use two daggers and it really is a different feel for a "caster." (feels like an enhancement shaman to me, but more action-y) Its so much more dynamic than staff which seems to be a popular choice, IMO.

Back to the OP, I initially thought I would play ranger and test drove it during the 1st BWE and half of the 2nd, but once I branched out to see the other classes, I couldn't help but play my ele more. I suppose its not a bad thing to not have your 1st choice be what you thought it would be because it gives you a chance to play other profs you might not have given a chance before like Kelesti with Mesmer.

My ranger exceeded my expectations.

Yep, in GW1 i had over 1000 hours with my Warrior, but really didn't like GW2's warrior.
    So i became a Mesmer. Mad fun so far.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Quote Originally Posted by joecool4433 View Post
    That sucks to hear cause I am in love with my Elementalist. I use two daggers and it really is a different feel for a "caster." (feels like an enhancement shaman to me, but more action-y) Its so much more dynamic than staff which seems to be a popular choice, IMO.
    I liked Daggers a lot on Ele, greatly greatly under-represented weapons. But I can't attunement swap as well as I should be, and know that my strengths wouldn't be there. It's okay though, I love dual-swords on my Mesmer.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    well GW2 thief is more like Assassin from guild wars than anything. i had originally planned to main a warrior but i decided to try thief and found out it was like assassin and stuck with that

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Loving mah Thief. I like that it's different from other stealth-users. Rather than getting easy "lol I'll sneak up and they won't see me coming!" mechanics, I have to tactically use my stealth to misdirect and confuse my opponents. If I stealth and I stand still, they know I'm there, they can still hit me!
    So I gots to move, and be tricksy.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Nope. Loving mah Thief. I like that it's different from other stealth-users. Rather than getting easy "lol I'll sneak up and they won't see me coming!" mechanics, I have to tactically use my stealth to misdirect and confuse my opponents. If I stealth and I stand still, they know I'm there, they can still hit me!
    So I gots to move, and be tricksy.
    I have to agree, that I enjoy stealth as an in combat throw-off more than just the first second and a half of combat. Having elusive "oh crap where'd he go" and fearing another opener keeps playing against a Thief very dynamic, and one that uses the smaller stealth mechanics well will be able to pull ahead.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Very much satisfied with my ele.

I had the opposite happen. I was planning on playing my thief for awhile and I had at least briefly tried out all of the weapons and was expecting to be exclusively using dagger/dagger or short bow. But upon playing for awhile and unlocking all my other weapon skills, I was amazed to find excellent uses for almost all my weapon combinations. The most surprising was dagger/pistol, pistol offhand's 5 attack is just too useful against enemies who only have attacks affected by blinds. Because thief abilities use initiative instead of having cooldowns, I could just use all my initiative on my 5 ability and keep 1-3 enemies blinded almost indefinitely allowing me to negate nearly 100% of the damage from some veteran and champion mobs for the entire time till they were down. Likewise I felt sword/pistol was awesome when I wanted some AOE but still wanted my blind. And the 4 ability is amazing against mobs that have strong attacks with large windups. Seeing an attack coming and dodging to avoid the damage yourself is one thing, but seeing an attack coming and cancelling it with a daze keeping it from damaging those around you is quite another.

Also, like others have said, thief burst is far from lacking if you're using the right weapons and builds. Death Blossom using dagger/dagger is really good burst, is AOE, AND causes you to evade attacks while performing it.

You may languish the lack of prolonged stealth. But I always thought running around during the day in plain sight but some how magically stealthed to be silly. If you want to be sneaky, hide behind something and wait! This is the real key to stealth: patience. And I REALLY appreciate the evasiveness that they built into the thief. Many of your regular weapon attacks and utility skills cause you evade attacks, gain ground, retreat, or just generally bounce about where ever you need to be taking little damage while doing it and generally being hard to hit.

I love my thief so much, ill never make an alt till im maxed

Never thought I would play a ranger but Im loving the class. Shortbow/Greatsword is a ton of fun. My first choice was going to be a Guardian and I still might go back to her. Guardian was fun seeing how soloing you could never die but I liked using mace/shield and damn did it take forever to kill things. On the other hand I loved scepter. Once I get my Ranger to around 50 will hope the AH works by then and will PL my Guardian up using crafting. Also still on the fence about making a necro since id like to have a cloth wearer as well.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-08-28 at 11:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I have to agree, that I enjoy stealth as an in combat throw-off more than just the first second and a half of combat. Having elusive "oh crap where'd he go" and fearing another opener keeps playing against a Thief very dynamic, and one that uses the smaller stealth mechanics well will be able to pull ahead.
    Also that! Instead of "Oh crap, he blew a 5-minute CD!" it's a constant threat.

The best part is, anybody can reveal me, or still damage me, with any ability, if they're smart. Or at least make it hard to reach their backside.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-28 at 11:40 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I played a warrior in BWE 3 and didn't really like the feel of it. However I rolled one again during the pre-launch time and for whatever reason it feels right at home, but this time I made a Norn which I like much better than a Charr, the animations just seem much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, kind of. I want to be a pet necro but they're so squishy :< Except for the flesh golem, he seems to be able to take more than one hit.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    I DOODLE!

10+ Year Old Account
    My main class ended up dissapointing me. I picked human elementalist expecting something like a WoW mage. But the damage is mediocre, the sheer amount of WORK you have to do with attument-switching is crazy (just to kite mobs as effectively as engineers or rangers who only need to use 1 actionbar) and overall it turned out to be a support profession far than a damage-oriented profession.
    Way too much damage is tied to AoE's which are either stupidly delayed (either a tiny radius, easily avoidable or take forever to take effect) and they do mediocre damage so it's not worth it. You have to predict where your target will be and place your AoE accordingly so it takes effect 2-3 seconds after you've cast it. All the damage is just so damn delayed, in PvP it's painful. Being the squishiest profession with the lowest defense+health was the final nail in the coffin.

Asura engineer now, only lvl 10 and am already finding it far more enjoyable than my lvl 24 ele.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze