Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    First time I've played a warrior in ANY game EVER. I hate tank n spank slash em up classes that require no thought process... but this warrior is not like that at all. Extreme versatility means you have to consider every possibility for every event. Whether you want a bow or a rifle, axes or greatsword, hammers or whatever. It's an all-encompassing class and I love it!

In response to OP: Thief != Rogue. I think they emphasized that pre-launch. It's not meant to be a stealthy backstab run-away-and-hide class. It's supposed to be more in your face, but evasive and tactical at the same time. I personally love the playstyle, but I agree it could use some DPS buffs.

Deleted
    Im enjoying my warrior so far (level 36) but after trying a couple of dungeon runs I don't know what I was doing wrong but I must of died about 30 times, it felt like I was wearing cloth and constantly being 1 shot (yes I was dodging, my bar was always depleted). So yeah that was a bit worrying.

I'm still <3ing the Mesmer! Typically running Scepter + focus (torch is fun too, and pistol..) plus staff. I am addicted to weapon swapping.. oh man it feels so good. I have it bound to my middle mouse button. =)

The only thing is, like others have mentioned, I wish the shatter timing worked out a little better. Half of the time they shatter either too late or too far away. Of course, it could just mean that I need to start it sooner... but things die so quickly!

As my engineer, I didn't expect too much damage, and I don't mind it too much, but the sheer variety, *drools* makes it so much fun.

Started with a thief as well. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed with the general class design - I was fully expecting to play a pistol/dagger style "evasive but not invisible" thief and I'm excited about the concept. It's refreshing and new.

What has been a bit of a disappointment is that the weapon sets feel like they're useful for one thing and absolutely useless for anything else. I feel like I'd need three weapon swaps - one for single target damage, one for AoE damage and one for kiting and evading damage. For the time being I chalk it up to not knowing the class well enough yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Extremely satisfied with my choice. I tested my options thoroughly during the BWE's so I would know which I wanted to play. Started off as a warrior and while I still do loves me some warrior I fell in love with Elementalist from the first time I played it and haven't regretted it one bit.

I'm loving the thief right now, it feels like playing a vanilla wow rogue minus preparing your fights in stealth. I guess my only complaint is the short stealth as well but I am getting used to it. I would also suggest trying a sword thief with a pistol offhand, it is very mobile you are moving all over the place all the time. I also use a lot of in and out stealth utility skills.
    Last edited by worprz; 2012-08-29 at 01:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having mained Warlocky classes in every other MMO, I naturally went to play Necro and even though it turned out a bit different than I expected (minion wise) I'm not griefing over it at all!
    I love the way I still get to spread death and decay with all the conditions and makes me think of an affliction warlock. Switching between Scepter + Dagger and 2h Stave and loving it haven't tried WvW yet.

Thinking I wanna try mesmer and ranger too but trying to keep the altoholic in me in her cage and get my Necro up to max first! (or at least somewhere up nice and high!)

Taranee - lvl 90 Blood Elf Warlock - EU Dragonblight

I'm finding the Elementalist to be ridiculously squishy for a game with no tanks. I'm sticking with it for now and trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but death-zerging everything is starting to get boring fast.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    I'm finding the Elementalist to be ridiculously squishy for a game with no tanks. I'm sticking with it for now and trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but death-zerging everything is starting to get boring fast.
    Kiting and your evasion abilities are your friend. I love mine and rarely run into trouble. Pop em at range when they get close do your jump back / flame trail ability let em come dodge through, quick turn around and hit em again. This works great for pretty much any PVE encounter.

Tried Mesmer and I just couldn't keep using it. Illusions are a neat idea, but 100% pvp only. Makes leveling somewhat of a pain in the ass.

Switched to Warrior and it was like night & day. Now I can take beats to the face, deal out good damage while having some great signets that still allow for utility.

Deleted
    I'm loving my elementalist, which is the only class I actually played in beta also. It's definitely not perfect but the weak points are points that I knew before hand, such as how I seem to drop dead if anything even looks at me funny.

My warrior uses primarily melee with ranged abilities to engage in combat. I love it.

Deleted
    I love my lil asura thief almost as much as i used to love my gnome rogue. Not disappointed at all. Actually making this my main game from now on.

This happened to me, actually.

I had planned to make a guardian as my main. By the time I reached level 13 or so, I was just so bored with her. I keep having a lot of bizarre difficulty with her too, and I'm not sure why. In all the BWEs and stress tests I had little trouble leveling one, but now her story quests seem to be a bit tricky at times. I think part of this may be ignorance on my part of what karma vendors/NPCs offer the gear I need + the trading post being unavailable to find gear upgrades as I go. Some of my stuff is still level 1-5ish.

Anyway though, I rerolled a ranger and have been having a blast with it. I really like how the ranger looks; I think A-net did a great job with leather armor designs in the game, especially the heritage outfit. I also am having fun running around and trying to collect various pets. I'm having fun with 1h sword/war horn combo and occasionally longbow.

I really want to go back to my guardian because I had her planned since day one, and she's a reincarnation of a character I've rped/mained in various MMOs in my past. Just kinda bored with her mechanically atm.

Edit: Just realized after all this time that I'd somehow failed to put any points into her talent trees. I did that and she hits like a bawss again. Back to playing my main. Big derp on my part! Wondered why I felt so weak.
    Last edited by summourn; 2012-08-30 at 03:05 AM.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Dr. Carl Sagan

Yes. I went elementalist, and I'm not liking the "glass cannon" feel vs the heavier armor professions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew from the first BWE that a Norn Warrior was my main. I tried a Thief and wasn't too much of a fan, so I deleted him and made a Ranger instead, which I am loving. And I tried an Asura Guardian, but I didn't really like that choice either so made a Sylvari Elementalist, which is threatening to overtake my main.
    Formerly The Dwarf Lover (TDL)

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Liking the Engineer exactly like I thought I would. I assumed it would be different than most MMO classes and have the ability to blow things up. Both of those criteria are well met.

Deleted
    To be honest, even though I do love elementalist, and I'm planning on sticking with it, I'm a little relieved I'm not the only person finding myself dropping dead at a moments notice and running around in endless circles whilst killing stuff.

A little about my MMO experiences in all games I've played so far:

I'm always drawn to heavy armor wearing melee characters. In every game I play, the first character I make is a heavy armor wearing melee type. However, in every game I've played so far, I end up disappointed with the heavy armor wearing melee type. I then make a caster, the more fire the better.

I expected GW2 to be the same. I wanted to make a warrior but instead decided I would go straight for the elementalist, because I figured that's where I'd end up anyway.

I buckled and made the warrior first despite history suggesting I should do otherwise. This is where it gets strange. I LOVE the warrior. This is the first game I've played the heavy armor wearing melee type and actually enjoyed it.

So yes, I made a warrior as my first main, and I love it. I am not disappointed at all.