Upgrading both my computers, help pls

Hey guys, i have 2 computers which i use to play wow, one at office and one at home, Ive been playing the beta and Ive noticed that both my computers FPS were dropping from a constant 60 in CATA to 35-60fps in the new areas in MOP.
    I run both computers at 1920x1080 and what i want is to be able to run WoW at 60fps(cap) @ ultra settings.
    Ive been told that i should upgrade the video cards but im not sure if this investment will get the job done, im currently aiming for a GTX660ti or a GTX670 both with 2gigs of vram. And yeah it must be Nvidia, i really don't like ATI's drivers from some bad experiences i had in the past.

My current specs are as follow:

@Office:
    I7 950@4ghz
    Asus P6X58D-E mobo
    6gigs (triple channel)
    Gigabyte GTX460OC 1g vram
    Corsair 750w PSU

@Home:
    I5 2500K
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3 mobo
    8gigs ram (dual channel)
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1g vram
    PC Power & Cooling 600w PSU (its very old but its still working very nice)

thanks alot for any tip.

Quote Originally Posted by rassa View Post
    Hey guys, i have 2 computers which i use to play wow, one at office and one at home, Ive been playing the beta and Ive noticed that both my computers FPS were dropping from a constant 60 in CATA to 35-60fps in the new areas in MOP.
    I run both computers at 1920x1080 and what i want is to be able to run WoW at 60fps(cap) @ ultra settings.
    Ive been told that i should upgrade the video cards but im not sure if this investment will get the job done, im currently aiming for a GTX660ti or a GTX670 both with 2gigs of vram. And yeah it must be Nvidia, i really don't like ATI's drivers from some bad experiences i had in the past.

My current specs are as follow:

@Office:
    I7 950@4ghz
    Asus P6X58D-E mobo
    6gigs (triple channel)
    Gigabyte GTX460OC 1g vram
    Corsair 750w PSU

@Home:
    I5 2500K
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3 mobo
    8gigs ram (dual channel)
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1g vram
    PC Power & Cooling 600w PSU (its very old but its still working very nice)

thanks alot for any tip.
    Looking over your specs on both pcs, you should just upgrade both video cards to like a gtx 580 or if u have the money gtx 680 and WoW will run much better.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-08-30 at 01:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    Looking over your specs on both pcs, you should just upgrade both video cards to like a gtx 580 or if u have the money gtx 680 and WoW will run much better.
    No. Just no. A 580 is a completely waste of money (on top of being previous-generation), and I won't even bother explaining how much of a waste buying a GTX680 for WoW is.

@Rassa, absolutely no upgrade is needed. Both those computers have solid processors (especially your home one) and a good enough GPU for WoW @ 1080p, the game continues to be extremely CPU-bound.

MoP is still thoroughly in Beta and last-minute driver optimizations from both Blizzard and nVidia/AMD still most likely haven't been made. Terrible performance happens at the beginning of almost every expansion, I was getting ~30 fps when Cata launched along with lots of other people despite having decent rigs.

My best advice is to WAIT till the game comes out and general performance issues are weeded out. Then we'll see if an upgrade is needed, if at all. A GTX460 is still considered a decent midrange GPU (at the lower end of the spectrum), plenty enough for WoW @ 1080p. Blizzard wouldn't make the game demand anything more than a midrange GPU at most.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-30 at 02:30 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze