Deleted

€500/$620/£390 budget gaming PC

So I'm planning to finally upgrade my 6 year old desktop as it can't really handle anything new or even WoW these days + I will most likely fry my laptop if I continue playing games on it. The build is intended for general use but also for playing some of the newest games (Crysis 3?). Not really looking to run stuff on max graphics but atleast medium would be nice. Here's what I'm thinking at this point:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 651K (3.0GHz,4MB,100W,FM1)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612S
    MB: MSI A75A-G35,(AMD Hudson D3, DualDDR3-1600, SATA3, HDMI, DVI, RAID, GBLAN, ATX)
    RAM: DDR3 Kingston HyperX Red Limited Edition 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz CL9
    Video card: MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 (AMD Radeon HD7770)
    HDD: WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB 3.5" SATA3 7.2K 32MB
    Power Supply: PSU Corsair Builder CX500 V2 500W, 80 Plus, Ultra quiet 12cm fan
    Case: THERMALTAKE V4 BLACK EDITION MID TOWER

Notes:
    The price of the above build is almost exactly 500Euros
    Looking for general ideas on the parts, not places to buy them on the net
    CPU cooler is not the greatest but it's silent and relatively cheap, not really planning to OC too much.
    Will use the old PC's DVD drive.
    Silence of the system is important.

Questions:
    Would going for GTX550 Ti be a better idea? From what I've looked at it might preform better but I have an instinct of pairing AMD CPU with AMD GPU.
    Any nice alternatives for low/mid-range motherboards? The one I've selected has some bad reviews on newegg but not sure if I should trust those.
    Any other comments/possible improvements or cut backs for the build?
    Last edited by mmoc9a2c48853d; 2012-08-29 at 08:44 AM.

Not sure about the mobo, but i'd defiantly say ditch the CPU, get an I3, Intel offers better performance for gaming, cpu wise.

Deleted
    My thinking goes along the lines that the GPU is what matters the most and if I spend more money on a processor then I will have to cut back on the money I spend on the GPU which matters more. The alternative then would be to get Intel's G860 but it will most likely preform worse on everyday tasks and not sure if it will help me gain better preformance in games than 651K.
    Last edited by mmoc9a2c48853d; 2012-08-29 at 10:38 AM.

Deleted
    AMD cpu have been crap for the last few generations so is better to go with Intel.

Its easier to upgrade the gpu later rather than buying a whole new system again when the ancient AMD cpu, mobo and ram starts to show their age, Which they are already.

I bought a ready made pc from ebay with I5 2500, 4GB ram, 500GB hard drive, 3 years warranty for £320 new, Then stuck a hd 5850 and decent psu in it for only £150. All new parts with 2-3 years warranty.

le
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sphere-PC-...-/190626266213

3 years warranty.

Then stick a £100 gfx card in it for a decent future proof pc.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD haven't been crap the past few generations, their Phenom series were stellar & their athlons were decent, although the Intel's CPU's are better today.

Get an unlocked CPU & motherboard which supports overclocking.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by SuperL View Post
    My thinking goes along the lines that the GPU is what matters the most and if I spend more money on a processor then I will have to cut back on the money I spend on the GPU which matters more. The alternative then would be to get Intel's G860 but it will most likely preform worse on everyday tasks and not sure if it will help me gain better preformance in games than 651K.
    This isn't entirely true. Wow is far more CPU intensive than it is GPU intensive.