Am I missing something with WvW?

I keep hearing people say I leveled to 45 or 50 doing only WvW. So I figured sounds good. Just spent 2 hours in there and my exp bar didnt move. Not to mention you start out 100 miles from any fights or enemy keeps which makes it even more retarded. I hope they add in teleports like they had in DAoC so you can move around your Keeps and Castles. Would make it a lot more fun rather than spending 90% of your time running and 10% actually fighting.

Keeps can be upgraded with waypoints. WvWvW isn't about instant, visceral gratification. It's a slow potboiler that takes place over 2 weeks. You can't have frenetic pace for 2 weeks straight. Once the launch madness is settled and everyone gets into the rhythm of WvWvW, it will feel much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    I keep hearing people say I leveled to 45 or 50 doing only WvW. So I figured sounds good. Just spent 2 hours in there and my exp bar didnt move. Not to mention you start out 100 miles from any fights or enemy keeps which makes it even more retarded. I hope they add in teleports like they had in DAoC so you can move around your Keeps and Castles. Would make it a lot more fun rather than spending 90% of your time running and 10% actually fighting.
    I had the exact same experience with WvW...not fond of it at all. They should have a defender and an aggressor and some common objective. 40 different small objectives all over the shop and no central aim is just bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Keep an eye on chat and/or check your map and go to a vulnerable location (such as one between you and the enemy). When defending, every 2 minutes (or is it 3? my memory fails me) you get an event. So long as you participate and get a medal, you'll start racking up some experience. Also learn how to upgrade a keep and how to use the manned machines.

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    Keeps can be upgraded with waypoints. WvWvW isn't about instant, visceral gratification. It's a slow potboiler that takes place over 2 weeks. You can't have frenetic pace for 2 weeks straight. Once the launch madness is settled and everyone gets into the rhythm of WvWvW, it will feel much better.
    Some will never be happy until there's an "instant win" button implemented. I swear I wonder if this generation canwork hard or if they really need things to be spoon fed to them. I worry for them.
    Last edited by Snakehead; 2012-08-30 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    Some will never be happy until there's an "instant win" button implemented. I swear I wonder if this generation canwork hard or if they really need things to be spoon fed to them. I worry for them.
    No one said instant win. Good for you, I guess that you do "hard work" in a game! WvW is pretty lame without clear cut objectives. If you have 12 different objectives for a group of people from the internet to pick from, you really think random people will come to an agreement on which one to attack?
    WvW is not as good as I thought it was and before you insult my generation, go do some hard work in a job or something, like most of us do.

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    No one said instant win. Good for you, I guess that you do "hard work" in a game! WvW is pretty lame without clear cut objectives. If you have 12 different objectives for a group of people from the internet to pick from, you really think random people will come to an agreement on which one to attack?
    WvW is not as good as I thought it was and before you insult my generation, go do some hard work in a job or something, like most of us do.
    Unless you're under 18 we are part of the same generation my friend. My "attack" as you put it was simply on the gamers that see things like work (ie doing more than click instant port) and immediately bash the game for having them do something that requires effort.

Too much of a zerg fest and melee is not as useful as it could be. Waiting for Planetside 2 for my WvWvW fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    Unless you're under 18 we are part of the same generation my friend. My "attack" as you put it was simply on the gamers that see things like work (ie doing more than click instant port) and immediately bash the game for having them do something that requires effort.
    My rebuttal to "your attack" was based on you blaming a whole generation when it wasn't warranted.

Well I really do not want the effort required to be to convince 40 different strangers from the internet to go after the same target. The WvW needs flow, like in WTG...you get towers, then go gates..so forth. It was big but it had a flow. hell even the old AVs that lasted for days had a flow. Things were done in a certain order. The WvW seems too haphazard.
    The spawn places are also very very far away from any action. I do not want majority of my time in a battle to be spent in graveyard runs.

Deleted
    I don't know how crap your server community is, but generally in my experience in WvW, one guy tells people to go somewhere and you can bet a lot of people will go there. Sure it doesn't always work but the people who don't run with the pack soon realise why that's a bad idea.

Actually, the first time i did WvW it was highly organized we had attack groups we had defense groups hell we used strategy to feign loss to pull our enemies into a kill zone on a bridge right into the range of out catapults on the other side that people prepped there.

So to answer that particular question, yes i do think random people can come to an agreement and actually play well together, the first time I have seen that in a game in years...

10+ Year Old Account
    My rebuttal to "your attack" was based on you blaming a whole generation when it wasn't warranted.

Well I really do not want the effort required to be to convince 40 different strangers from the internet to go after the same target. The WvW needs flow, like in WTG...you get towers, then go gates..so forth. It was big but it had a flow. hell even the old AVs that lasted for days had a flow. Things were done in a certain order. The WvW seems too haphazard.
    The spawn places are also very very far away from any action. I do not want majority of my time in a battle to be spent in graveyard runs.
    Just by reading this, its safe to say that WvW is not your cup of tea. WvW is all about strategy and outwitting the other 2 servers to keep them guessing, if anything THAT'S YOUR OBJECTIVE. If you and the rest of your "generation" only played DAoC then you'd have some idea as to what makes WvW really shine, but I won't waste my time writing a biography as to why WvW is just loads of run for us old school RvR'ers.
    Last edited by Razeo; 2012-08-30 at 02:48 AM.