Upgrading video card for MoP

Well...the title says it all. I want to upgrade my currently crap integrated graphics chip to a new one for MoP as with the new 5.0.4 patch I've been getting about 10 fps max with everything on low. My PC isn't the best in other regards also but atm I can only afford one thing and considering I got an integrated chip...that seemed like that place to start. I already found a card that I read from reviews would work fine with WoW. My resolution is only 1280x1024 and I only really need my settings around medium and 30fps in 10mans. That's what I only need. Nothing...else.

I found this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...scrollFullInfo card. Is it enough to play WoW with the settings I need? And another thing...my power supply is only 250 but I read through the reviews and comments that you only really need a 225w for that at most? Since it feeds through the PCI Express slot. If you need more is there any other card out there that can run with that PSU or atleast 400w? So I don't have to spend too much.

Don't forget to keep in my that I'm only looking towards medium-high settings in wow at 1280x1024 resolutions with constant 30 or so fps during 10mans and 5mans. I won't really be playing any other game except maybe the occasional Diablo 3 or whatever...if I can but it is not needed since the only thing I care about is WoW. Thanks guys.

Yes, that video card should be perfect for you. Though I can't guarantee a 30fps with it because you didn't mention your CPU (processor). WoW is a CPU-heavy game and actually requires more juice from CPU than GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Yes, that video card should be perfect for you. Though I can't guarantee a 30fps with it because you didn't mention your CPU (processor). WoW is a CPU-heavy game and actually requires more juice from CPU than GPU.
    What he said

Getting a better graphics card won't serve much purpose if its being bottle necked by a dual (Or god forbid) single core CPU. It'll just get bottlenecked anyway.

On top of that, it sounds like your PC is dated, which means the motherboard won't even suppose a better processor.

Give us all of your specs or we can't really say much.

Processor
    GPU
    CPU
    and how much memory (ram) you have.

And man, I'm so surprised that people still have PC's that outdated. I mean, I've got an alienware PC thats like 4-5 years old sitting behind me that I don't even USE, and its sporting a Core2DUO with an 8800GT card that would easily run wow at max settings.

You could spend $400 and get a PC that'll run wow at 40+ FPS at atleast medium settings if you don't need peripherals.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2012-08-30 at 06:58 AM.

I know my other parts aren't the past and I plan to eventually get a totally new pc (again not something super good but I'll be using this graphics card when I start building that). I just was wondering if that thing is still decent. I do have a dual core but it is only an amd athlon 64 x2 3800+. REALLY bad but I I think it would still be a better upgraded since I got an integrated chip would it not?

My full (I think) PC specs atm are:

Time of this report: 8/30/2012, 03:32:41
    Machine name: ARIS-PC
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
    System Model: GC667AA-ABA SR5130NX
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 1918MB RAM
    Page File: 1312MB used, 2524MB available

Again, It doesn't matter if it bottlenecks my pc ATM since I'll be upgrading everything soon when I get a better job but atm (only got around 150 or so saved up atm) I'm just wondering if it'll run at least 20 during 10mans with low-medium settings (don't care about shadows, water and all dat crap, just want particle, texture and view distance on fair-good lol) with my current set up. Just cant afford even if its like 400$ atm in a few months ya but meh.

Edit: Lol I got this PC from my parents 4-5 years ago and the I only really played Ragnarok Online back and eventually picked up WoW but it used to run fine back then. Console gamer :P.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2012-08-30 at 07:39 AM.

what version of windows are you using? a few upgrades for you:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+...-upgrades.html

you could double your ram to 4GB to allow some ` breathing room` - wow itself uses about 1GB and can use more , which could mean you start page filing which slows things (especially with onboard gfx)

that video card would be a rocket boost from onboard for sure! would be happily able to play at `high` settings

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. I upgraded my RAM ages ago as windows Vista (which is what the pc original came with) kept freezing when I played Warhammer 40k but ya I'll def upgrade to 4gb also when I get a bit more money. Sucks being on a limited budget. (well I'll upgrade the entire thing except the new gfx card if I get that lol oh and yes I know 32bit can only use around 3.6gbs or so? thats okay)

One final question, would the card still run on 250w? cause everywhere I read says that it would and that it uses only about 43w of power at TOP performance under 1980x resolutions which I...don't even come close to. Thanks for the help btw.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2012-08-30 at 06:04 PM.

yes its a 75w `class` card , meaning it draws power from the slot only.

you should be fine.

btw to maximise ram availibility you want to be using Windows 7 64bit