Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Disc Priest 5.0.4 Healing - Help?

So the patch landed, and I used to be a very skilled Disc Healer, however this patch has changed a lot of things, and upon researching mountains of material, and reforging back to spirit because of rapture's demise, I'm now losing a tonne of healing output and go out of mana ridiculously quick, regardless of mindbender, hymn of hope etc.

Does anyone else feel Disc Priest healing has been nurfed phenomenal amounts? come on blizzard :/ sort us out.

Deleted
    Our Raid holy priest said that he heals way more in DS HC than before and that he can hold up to use in all events (what was not possible cause of my gear and i'm a pala).

Disc priest is very specific and a limited healing class with more utility.

Mana is a problem for all healing classes again.
    Priests have at least the best mana reg options (even when they cost some time).

I think that disc priest are a bit crippeld when healing alone, cause of their way of healing.

i keep seeing posts about disc priests not being in a good place, i think its because we have been used to neglecting spirit and most people don't realize how overpowered rapture still is. I went from 1.2k spirit (+ the spine trinket) to 3.7k spirit (+ the spine and darkmoon trinkets) that plus a spirit flask is just an insane amount of spirit. Yesterday was my first raid and I noticed i had waaaay too much regen but even so I managed 41k hps on our heroic madness attempts while our pally and shammy were ~15kish. They arent bad, they just can't keep up with my spirit shell and divine ageis :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vanityking View Post
    i keep seeing posts about disc priests not being in a good place, i think its because we have been used to neglecting spirit and most people don't realize how overpowered rapture still is. I went from 1.2k spirit (+ the spine trinket) to 3.7k spirit (+ the spine and darkmoon trinkets) that plus a spirit flask is just an insane amount of spirit. Yesterday was my first raid and I noticed i had waaaay too much regen but even so I managed 41k hps on our heroic madness attempts while our pally and shammy were ~15kish. They arent bad, they just can't keep up with my spirit shell and divine ageis :P
    Yeah, pally AOE heal went down a bit or needs more time to ramp up (more HP needed). Before i was at 25k HPS.
    Shamans have actually a great healing totem and still a strong AOE healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyltin View Post
    Our Raid holy priest said that he heals way more in DS HC than before and that he can hold up to use in all events (what was not possible cause of my gear and i'm a pala).

Disc priest is very specific and a limited healing class with more utility.

Mana is a problem for all healing classes again.
    Priests have at least the best mana reg options (even when they cost some time).

I think that disc priest are a bit crippeld when healing alone, cause of their way of healing.
    ^^ I went holy tbh and ill pulling the same or better numbers than I was before as disc. Renew crits of 30k are amazing. I found disc to be really oom compared to holy and the numbers for holy (for me at least) seem to be much better and more sustainable.

Quoting myself from the "Discipline MoP Healing Guide" thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Ellumina View Post
    I healed through 8/8HM yesterday as Disc in full [formerly] BiS gear (well, Shadow for Ultraxion, but Disc for the rest), and mana was a HUGE problem for me. Please tell me I'm not the only one going crazy over mana >< I underestimated how greatly they nerfed our regen.Some fights I was at 50% mana or lower within the first minute or two of a fight! Used to run about 2.2k spirit and brought myself up to 2.6k yesterday for the raid (I also have H Heart of Unliving).I definitely wasn't prepared to struggle this hard on mana.

*Talents I'm running:

Dominate Mind: Meh, I just picked a random one. I'm not much of a PvPer.

Body and Soul: I haven't given Angelic Feathers a try yet, but I'll be testing it out in my Holy spec later. I have always wanted Body and Soul as Disc, seeing as how we are very PW:Shield oriented. I'm certain Angelic Feathers would shine on certain fights, but MoP progression begins, I will 100% be sticking to Body and Soul.

Mindbender/PW:Solace: I swapped between trying out Mindbender and Solace regen, and it highly depends om the fight and downtime. On a fight like H Madness, there is plenty of downtime where it was a no brainer for me to pick up Solace. Also, Mindbender regen seems rather underwhelming (which I supposed it should considering it's on a 1 minute CD). Shadowfiend regen is noticeably stronger, plus it syncs up well with Hymn of Hope (essentially you can HoH with every other SF, or even have a HoH for every SF if you have an awesome Priest raiding buddy).

Desperate Prayer: A very familiar choice. I do want to give Angelic Bulwark a try, but I feel that it is a bit useless in current gear until MoP hits. I can see it being rather useful during progression since the CD is quite short, but it'd be important to also track the CD on it.

Power Infusion: I tried every talent in this tier. Twist of Fate was a bit underwhelming. The reason I picked it up to begin with is because it applies to both damage and healing. It does 15% more damage and 15% more healing, which means Holy Fire and Smite damage is increases (increased damage means increased Atonement healing) and the 15% healing increase will further increase Atonement healing. I'm assuming increased healing modifiers like Archangel still increase the effects of Atonement healing (I know this used to be the case in the past). I dislike Divine Insight, seeing as I don't really want/need to spam a shield on one person, and even if I did need to break the Weakened Soul rather quickly, I could just Greater Heal a few times. Power Infusion is a no brainer for me right now. Very controllable, mana cost reduction on spells, and works with out T13 2set. Without picking up PI, our T13 2set is obsolete. Similarly, I picked up PI as Holy and I'm assuming PI will proc our 2set in that spec now!

*Glyph choices:

Prayer of Mending: I believe every Priest healer should get this. There is no reason not to. My PoM charges rarely run their full course ><

Penance: It hasn't been of great use to me yet, but I know it will be. I'm just not used to the fact that I can Penance while moving now, so I still stand and Penance pretty regularly. Also, it's a nice DPS on the move spell.

Power Word: Shield: I haven't determined whether I am sticking to this glyph yet. My logic behind this is 1) aside from Rapture purposes, I use PW:S to save lives (example: H Spine, someone low and gripped by Corruption). The instant heal is nice, and I assume can also crit and form a DA (like the former PW:S glyph could do), essentially increases its potential throughput. If you're a bubble spammer and like to spam bubbles on a bunch of people before major damage, then this may not be the glyph for you. Also, with a slightly decreased PW:S size means shields would break quicker (good for Rapture).

*Glyphs on standby:

Holy Fire: I would highly recommend this, and am still debating to pick it up and replace a glyph. Instant damage and healing at a pretty low mana cost

Smite: I would only take this paired with Holy Fire. Very viable pickup on any fight where you find yourself using Atonement a lot (I Atonement heal quite a bit on H Madness prepatch, as well as post patch since we were overhealing anyways).

Holy Nova: I miss Holy Nova as a baseline heal! It may not have been very strong, but I loved it deep down. I actually used Holy Nova during H Madness progression (even major glyphed it) to help with AoEing on bloods on Deathwing's head. I picked it up again last night on DW because our damage was really lacking on the bloods for some reason. Between Holy Novaing those bloods as well as the bloods on each platform, Holy Nova did 782k healing (6.2%) and 986k damage, not including the 5 mil from overall Spellweave damage. So I think Holy Nova could be a very situational spell still. If I heal Ultraxion next week, I might pick this glyph up for fun =P

Mass Dispel: At the moment, I don't care to use the Mass Dispel glyph, though for progression I may need it with the CD on dispels now. If only the mana cost wasnt still so high x.x

*A few changes I think I will make:

Dreamwraps of the Light > H Bracers of the Banished: Those crafted bracers are actually amazing, and now I want all the spirit I can get. I might even try putting non intellect gems in as well.

Splinterfoot Sandals > Janglespur Jackboots: Similar to the above. More spirit!

Heartsong > Power Torrent: Fortunately, I was able to pick up a second Maw yesterday and enchant it with Heartsong. I used to time my mana return CDs like Arcane Torrent and Shadowfiend with PT, but now PT is just minor throughput increase with 0 effect in regen, and I care little about throughput right now (I'll care about it again during progression =P)

I have other 397 gear with some spirit too that my 410 gear lacks, like a ring and belt, but for now I'm going to make those few changes until I find a comfortable amount of spirit to be running with. All I can say is right now, regen just feels way too low.

Holy VS Disc: I healed the second half of LFR as Holy to compare the two specs, and the difference feels enormous. Regen doesn't seem nearly as bad for Holy, especially when taking into account Holy's incredible throughout. 6.3k Sanctuary every 40 seconds lasting almost 40 seconds that does incredible amounts of healing. Sanc and Divine Hymn alone provide insane healing per mana. My Disc Priest is incredibly jealous, and at this rate I'm tempted to be Holy for MoP. But at the same time, my heart still lies with Disc and I like a challenge to get better rather than faceroll with Holy, raid healing as a slightly subpar healer right now with minimal AoE healing.

Inner Focus: The changes to IF make me sad, especially as a Priest going oom now. I have IF bound to spells that use it in order to use it on CD, but now I'm undecided whether to keep it that way or to make it a separate bind due to the 100% crit now. I believe I will still attach IF to Flash Heal, simply because in my mind, if I need to Flash Heal somebody, that means they need that heal ASAP. And a crit for that heal would be a great way to top someone off who was about to die. I supposed I have to be more cautious between GH and PoH uses for IF. In all honesty, I prefer the old IF, but this is just a personal preference.

Rapture: My saddest realization last night was that there is a net loss in mana from using PW:S to gaining Rapture (4set bonus aside). I realize our rapture was a very strong regen tool before, but between the nerf to this, IF, and capped mana pools, regen has been hellish. I desperately hope some sort of change can be made to Rapture, because I'm not too content with its current state.

TL;DR: "OH GOD I'M OOM! WHERE'D ALL MY MANA GO?!"
    We went from one of the best regen healers in the game to probably one of the worst (combined with our toolkit / spells). At the moment, I have downgraded 3 410 pieces (bracers, belt, and boots) for 397 pieces with spirit on them. Today, I am going to heal on my 4 healing alts (including a 2nd Priest, Holy Pally, Resto Druid, and Resto Shaman), their gear ranging from 390 to 402, to gauge the difference in mana regen.

Also, best feeling ever: receiving a 19k Rapture while Mana Tide was up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a tip...get two piece t12 (preferably heroic.) it's 2k mana per tick with 100% uptime.
    Last edited by ramennoodleking; 2012-08-30 at 04:27 PM.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Quote Originally Posted by Ellumina View Post
    Quoting myself from the "Discipline MoP Healing Guide" thread:

We went from one of the best regen healers in the game to probably one of the worst (combined with our toolkit / spells). At the moment, I have downgraded 3 410 pieces (bracers, belt, and boots) for 397 pieces with spirit on them. Today, I am going to heal on my 4 healing alts (including a 2nd Priest, Holy Pally, Resto Druid, and Resto Shaman), their gear ranging from 390 to 402, to gauge the difference in mana regen.

Also, best feeling ever: receiving a 19k Rapture while Mana Tide was up.
    Just a note, as Holy with DI you probably don't want the Glyph of PoM.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    Just a note, as Holy with DI you probably don't want the Glyph of PoM.
    I actually thought about this. If I did go DI as Holy, I'd likely drop PoM. I couldn't exactly track it well when I was testing it so I ended up opting for PI for now. Our T13 2set can now proc off of two things for Holy =P

I was expecting to have mana problems with my discipline spec but was pleasantly surprised. Just bothered with reforges (didn't regem). My throughput and efficiency went up alot with spirit shell, and mana wasn't a problem at any point. With spirit flasks and spirit gems it would probably be even better. Tried holy once on LFR, but didn't really see a significant increase in HPS, so it's definitely a loss at equal HPS since discipline have most of this HPS in absorbs.
    Last edited by FieryBull; 2012-08-30 at 04:57 PM.

I'm upset they took DH away from Disc. It was an awesome oh crap spell especially with the huge cd. I retried disc in LFR today and wasn't as disappointed as I was in beta. I don't like spirit shell, though, even if it'll be OP at some point. I am just not feeling it with disc atm.

I find both disc and holy to be incredibly buffed with this patch. I have all intellect gems still, have power torrent on my WAND mainhand (that's just fun to say), and am in holy reforge, focusing on spirit and haste. I have about 2800 spirit and I'm still topping the charts in both specs and having more than enough mana. If you're having a problem, check your reforges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohleemar View Post
    I find both disc and holy to be incredibly buffed with this patch. I have all intellect gems still, have power torrent on my WAND mainhand (that's just fun to say), and am in holy reforge, focusing on spirit and haste. I have about 2800 spirit and I'm still topping the charts in both specs and having more than enough mana. If you're having a problem, check your reforges.
    Pretty much this. If you're having trouble healing as disc currently, then slow it down. Get back to the basics. Heal is critting for me at around 60k PoM is doing huge numbers and even renew is amazing as disc now, and if you play it tight, you can easily last any fight. b/c of mastery baseline increasing so dramatically at this level, you can pop spirit shell and shield the entire raid (10 man) with just a couple PoH. I am 404 Ilvl and have always been good at disc, but last night I couldn't stop laughing at how overpowered Spirit Shell is at this level. I've raided as both Disc and Holy for the majority of DS and I'm amazed at the changes. I'll post some logs for healing as soon as loggerhead updates, b/c I never remember to do it manually.

BoT halfus reg
    (snip Can't post pictures yet but I did 40,824 hps and 76% of overall healing.)

Valiona and theralion, keep in mind that we were doing the achievement here, it was me and the tank on the outside taking all meteors just the 2 of us while the rest of the raid danced below trying to kill adds.
    (can't post pics but did 26,678k hps and 78.5% of overall healing)

Don't despair friends! Disc is amazing right now. Get skada so you can see how much healing spirit shell is actually doing, and fall in love all over again this christmas....Err this 5.0

Maybe someone that has posted here more often can redo those links. Since I can't Good luck!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vanityking View Post
    Rapture = 150% of spirit

Theoretically with my spirit, this is 4k mana returns (ive not reforged ANY spirit) this isnt even enough per rapture tick for 1 flash heal. Blizz have messed up disc priests BAD! need to put rapture back to how it was pre patch.

---------- Post added 2012-08-31 at 01:21 AM ----------

I agree, the heals themselfs, buffed greatly, like any healing class. But the heals in disc are simply too mana intensive to last a heroic encounter of Spine or Madness, especially when you two man heal it. I run OOM in around 30 seconds and have to pop mindbender on EVERY 1 minute, I seem to focus on keeping my mana more than 1%, rather than focus on my healing which shouldnt be the case at all.

Either spells all need mana cost reduction,
    Mana pools need to be back to where they were (I.E 175k raidbuffed, not 100k)
    Or Rapture needs to be sorted out.

HPS - Great
    Heals - Great
    Mana maintenance - absolutely TERRIBLE. I've played disc for 4 years, and NEVER once seen it this bad.

Saw a disc priest in LFR that killed the heals. Looked her up and she had over 4k spirit and the Spine trinket. Spammed PoH and Atonement. Not saying that is the way to go but it's the first disc I've seen do decent AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyxul View Post
    Rapture = 150% of spirit

Theoretically with my spirit, this is 4k mana returns (ive not reforged ANY spirit) this isnt even enough per rapture tick for 1 flash heal. Blizz have messed up disc priests BAD! need to put rapture back to how it was pre patch.

---------- Post added 2012-08-31 at 01:21 AM ----------

I agree, the heals themselfs, buffed greatly, like any healing class. But the heals in disc are simply too mana intensive to last a heroic encounter of Spine or Madness, especially when you two man heal it. I run OOM in around 30 seconds and have to pop mindbender on EVERY 1 minute, I seem to focus on keeping my mana more than 1%, rather than focus on my healing which shouldnt be the case at all.

Either spells all need mana cost reduction,
    Mana pools need to be back to where they were (I.E 175k raidbuffed, not 100k)
    Or Rapture needs to be sorted out.

HPS - Great
    Heals - Great
    Mana maintenance - absolutely TERRIBLE. I've played disc for 4 years, and NEVER once seen it this bad.

Saying that you have to pop mindbender every 1 minute or you have to focus on your mana more than 1% is like saying that you have to learn a new way to do things. Which, you do. All good disc priests have been spoiled until this point. Mana is not an infinite resource anymore. Focus on utilizing the new tools effectively, and you will find your longevity in fights improving dramatically.

On a side note, anyone know how many posts you have to have before you can send links? It would be nice to be able to show numbers rather than talk about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzur View Post
    On a side note, anyone know how many posts you have to have before you can send links? It would be nice to be able to show numbers rather than talk about them.
    10 posts, if I remember correctly.

Also, disc seems to be fine if you play it right. I've reforged to spirit/mastery, regemmed purifieds and sparklings.

Sitting at 3742+spine trinket, flask, and I'm doing just fine. The biggest part is changing your playstyle. Pre-5.0.4 DA stacking was easymode as you'd never go oom, now you have to more precisely predict incoming damage or you'll end up ooming yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pet0r-the-Pan View Post
    i would only buy a flying potato

The mana issues we currently have may be gone with level 90 though. At least I hope so, mana is really tight at 85.
    As we all know, it's never really balanced on low-levels and the game is designed for level 90 now.

need to buff rapture T.T

OR at least give us mana back from archangel :P

but ill find out mana management tonight on my lovely preisty alt :P

did few instances today was going oom very fast

oh and man i love that big heals on my penenace
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Disc priest healing is a beast now - its so damn good, that its borderlineing OP.
    Spirit Shell is the revival of shield spam - its just applied way easier.

Coupled with atonementx5 stack and PI it reaches a burst healing potential, where the other healers can only glare - and thats with 0% overhealing.

Coupled with way better regen than ever, disc is in a really sweet spot.
    Crazy stuff.

I recon Spirit Shell will get relegated to a 2-3 min CD within.. well, short time..
    Unless, the damage intake will go through the roof in MoP, where a 1min cd would make sence... though, all indicators are, that healers will have to fight(Snipe heal) for their healingmeter place there, as it has been the last 8 years.