Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Things you figured out yeaaaars later

- When I was little I thought everybody was a Christian, (I was raised like that) so once I said to classmate when I was a kid: well God made us right?
    And he was like: No, you don't know that. And I was completely dumfounded! D: When I discovered internet I found out how and what and then I went atheist later.

- Why do metal stairs with holes in them exist?
    I found out later it's because eventual rainwater could go through the holes and make the stairs less slippery

- As a kid I thought traffic lights where controlled by people underground in rooms or something, and I always pressed the button.
    Later I found out you don't have to press the button because sensors on the road detect everything. Still don't know why buttons are there.

I used to think women liked to be treated nicely.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    - When I was little I thought everybody was a Christian, (I was raised like that) so once I said to classmate when I was a kid: well God made us right?
    And he was like: No, you don't know that. And I was completely dumfounded! D: When I discovered internet I found out how and what and then I went atheist later.

- Why do metal stairs with holes in them exist?
    I found out later it's because eventual rainwater could go through the holes and make the stairs less slippery

- As a kid I thought traffic lights where controlled by people underground in rooms or something, and I always pressed the button.
    Later I found out you don't have to press the button because sensors on the road detect everything. Still don't know why buttons are there.
    Metal stairs have holes to reduce the cost/weight, not make them less slippery. They have ridges designed in them for that.

The buttons are there to let the algorythm know that pedestrians need to cross the street and the walk signs are then adjusted from that.

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    Something like this..

OT: Email, I know it sounds stupid, but I grew up in a third-world country and up until about 11-12 y/o have never touched a computer. To me email sounded like magic, you know, type a message on one computer and press a button and hey presto, the person on the other end gets it. When I started highschool we learnt about it and I was like "Oh, well that makes sense."
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paloro View Post
    Metal stairs have holes to reduce the cost/weight, not make them less slippery. They have ridges designed in them for that.

The buttons are there to let the algorythm know that pedestrians need to cross the street and the walk signs are then adjusted from that.
    Oh, 2 more things I can add to the list....

i went to boot camp with a guy who had literally never seen a non-white person. all he knew about non-caucasians was from TV (at the time almost all black roles were pimps, whores, dealers, and junkies outside of the cosby show), and boot camp had a large percentage of minorities. major culture shock for him, but he handled it well

15+ Year Old Account
    That alot of vegetables I hated as a kid actually taste good.
    Never liked mushrooms, cabbage, carrots etc, now I do.
    My taste was just misslead :/
    Last edited by Bakis; 2012-08-30 at 04:19 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

1. When I was younger I used to think I was invincible, I learnt the hard way.
    2. I used to think people where actually IN the T.V, so when I was young (8) I tried to open the back of the T.V up to save the turtles from shredder, didn’t work out so well.
    3. When i was in the process of loosing my V i didn't know what happend when girls got excited, so i asked her if she pissed her self. I still laugh about it to this day.

At the nice age of 26 I still don’t know how an engine works :S

Yeah I know I’m quite stupid at times but sod it I don’t care, my strengths are else where.
    Last edited by Toccs; 2012-08-30 at 04:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also the two classics even though it did not take years to understand they were wrong.
    Watching the tv too much make your eyes go square.
    If you swallowed a gum it would never come out but would be stuck in your stomach forever
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I realized that the chicken crossing the road, to get to the other side, could actually mean into the afterlife.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    You and me both buddy!

Girls go out with complete arseholes and then complaint that all guys are assholes... Stupid female species. (not them all)
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't learn until my third time being a best man that the best man is supposed to plan the Bachelor Party.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I didn't learn until my third time being a best man that the best man is supposed to plan the Bachelor Party.
    Oh man, I cant even tell you how epic that failure is
    Think of the best man as the toast master at a BBQ party

I have yet to learn something that I didnt know as a kid. Harsh childhood does not allow one to have many illusions. Santa Claus was a fucking asshole to me even though I was a nice kid; therefore, he cant be real. I drew that conculsion when I was 6.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Oh man, I cant even tell you how epic that failure is
    Think of the best man as the toast master at a BBQ party
    Yeah, I feel pretty bad about that. It just never came up for me earlier in my life, and the friends I was being best man for weren't about to tell me, "Dude, you're supposed to plan my Bachelor Party." Even my 3rd one wasn't that impressive, since the wedding was in Tallinn and I didn't have the resources to find out what was there to do. We ended up go-kart racing, dinner, and a pub. No one wanted to go to a strip club though.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I always thought that there actually existed x-ray optics

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I have yet to learn something that I didnt know as a kid. Harsh childhood does not allow one to have many illusions. Santa Claus was a fucking asshole to me even though I was a nice kid; therefore, he cant be real. I drew that conculsion when I was 6.
    Not to try and get too personal here, but how was he an asshole to you exactly?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah, I feel pretty bad about that. It just never came up for me earlier in my life, and the friends I was being best man for weren't about to tell me, "Dude, you're supposed to plan my Bachelor Party." Even my 3rd one wasn't that impressive, since the wedding was in Tallinn and I didn't have the resources to find out what was there to do. We ended up go-kart racing, dinner, and a pub. No one wanted to go to a strip club though.
    To be honest though we had a few as well by now and none of us see the point of the best man having to plan it all. We all share the responsibilities.
    The only responsibility that rest on the best man is really to guide the dinner at the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Valrax View Post
    Not to try and get too personal here, but how was he an asshole to you exactly?
    Never brought me any presents. The media said if I am a nice kid, I would get some presents. They never came. Therefore I called bullshit on Santa and figured out my parents are just out of money and cant afford presents. Oh well...
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-08-30 at 04:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    That alot of vegetables I hated as a kid actually taste good.
    Never liked mushrooms, cabbage, carrots etc, now I do.
    My taste was just misslead :/
    As a child we are actually programmed instinctualy to prefer starchy, salty, sweet, oily things because they're high in calories and as our bodies are growing, we need lots of calories. As our body passes full growth maturity, we no longer have a strong preference, and our taste buds begin to branch out.

Also, a lot of vegetables are bitter, and instinctualy our bodies know that poison is generally bitter. Although vegetables are not poisonous, our bodies think so until we condition ourselves otherwise.