Page 12 of 110 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twosteps View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but short of using the Ouros method, there's still no way to solo C'thun, right?
    You can die in c'thun's stomach, make a demonic circle in the stomach by the platform that shoots you up. Then all you have to do is teleport by the platform and dot the tentacles while getting shot up and kill him in his weakened state.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but short of using the Ouros method, there's still no way to solo C'thun, right?
    There is one way.... but you need to have really fast reactions and a super fast internet and PC.

I tried it the "conventional way" last week and managed to successfuly escape the stomach 3 times, having killed one tentacle and partly damaged the other but the 4th time I just wasn't fast enough and died.

I'm thinking about returning to WoW, and a big part of that is wanting to solo old content. I'm curious how warlocks stand in that capacity. It seems like having a tank would help a great deal. Also, there's dark apotheosis, and a decent amount of self-healing. Is there anything warlocks can't do that other classes (namely dks or pallies) can? Is the inverse true? Do warlocks excel at things no other class can do? Example...I hear ZG has a boss that one-shots you. Does having a pet render that obsolete? Can locks do the ZA bear run?

Would I just be better off using a dk or pally in this endeavor? There's also monk, but leveling 1-90 is daunting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    I'm thinking about returning to WoW, and a big part of that is wanting to solo old content. I'm curious how warlocks stand in that capacity. [...]
    Would I just be better off using a dk or pally in this endeavor? There's also monk, but leveling 1-90 is daunting.
    Dark Apotheosis is not that great for soloing, you gain some survival abilities but you lose so much dps that it's hardly worth it. Still locks are a good soloing class (as affliction or destruction).
    There's lot of bosses dk can solo that locks can't, (and as far as I know there's not a single one we can solo that they can't) and because of tanks mechanics (Vengeance) it'll be way easier with a tank class.
    Mandokir still one-shots you even if you have a pet.

Death knights are the best class for soloing, no one can deny that. If I wanted efficiency I'd rather pick them, but I solo stuff for fun/challenge so I stay on my warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysen View Post
    Mandokir still one-shots you even if you have a pet.
    Can't you just keep strafing until he leaps at you then continue DPS as normal?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzkerten View Post
    Can't you just keep strafing until he leaps at you then continue DPS as normal?
    It can't be avoided.

Next expansion it should be possible to survive it with Dark Bargain+Unending Resolve etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    It can't be avoided.

Next expansion it should be possible to survive it with Dark Bargain+Unending Resolve etc.
    Unless they finally do the item squish and make the stat gains more linear. :/

A'lar is still immune to fire. I found this out the annoying way as a destro lock. Incinerates were immuning. I had to bring him down with spamming fel flame and pet damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    A'lar is still immune to fire. I found this out the annoying way as a destro lock. Incinerates were immuning. I had to bring him down with spamming fel flame and pet damage.
    Well if switching specs isn't an option for you, you can always skip him. You shouldn't need to kill him to get to kael.

oh it wasnt a real problem, just a surprise once the fight started cause i thought they had removed all immunities.

You know Chaos Bolt is shadow damage, right?

Yeah, but without incinerate, RoF, or immolate working you cant earn embers.

Yeah, but without incinerate, RoF, or immolate working you cant earn embers.
    I'm pretty sure you get the ember bit when you cast the spell, not when it actually hits something. (talking about Incinerate in this case)

Well Fel Flame generates embers anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysen View Post
    Dark Apotheosis is not that great for soloing, you gain some survival abilities but you lose so much dps that it's hardly worth it. Still locks are a good soloing class (as affliction or destruction).
    It has one use, it's fun for clearing trash. I like being able to just romp through TK and then drain / immolation aura-ing everything down without a care in the world.

In regards to solo strength, DKs are without doubt the king of it - they have a huge advantage in the amount of damage, survivability and self healing they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    You can die in c'thun's stomach, make a demonic circle in the stomach by the platform that shoots you up. Then all you have to do is teleport by the platform and dot the tentacles while getting shot up and kill him in his weakened state.
    I gave this a try, as soon as I soul stone resurrect, I throw down a circle on the portal platform and instantly die. Has this changed or is there something I'm doing wrong?
    e.g. Sent to stomach > move to platform > die > res > (0.5 seconds to cast) circle > die before anything else can happen.

EDIT: Managed to get it to work once, lucky I suppose. It took too long to get in range of my circle and I didn't make it. I'm guessing a combination of demonic leap to get through the stomach acid and maybe something else to cover the distance?
    Last edited by Super Jerk; 2012-11-16 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Jerk View Post
    I gave this a try, as soon as I soul stone resurrect, I throw down a circle on the portal platform and instantly die. Has this changed or is there something I'm doing wrong?
    e.g. Sent to stomach > move to platform > die > res > (0.5 seconds to cast) circle > die before anything else can happen.

EDIT: Managed to get it to work once, lucky I suppose. It took too long to get in range of my circle and I didn't make it. I'm guessing a combination of demonic leap to get through the stomach acid and maybe something else to cover the distance?
    I have not done it in a while, so I don't remember too much of what I did, sorry >.<

Haven't tried C'thun yet, but just took down Toravon (VoA ice boss) on 25m difficulty. And holy crap what an annoying fight that was, 25 stacks of the debuff is just impossible to heal through when using a Voidwalker :\ Ended up using demonic gateway and portal to kite him around the instance and reset my Voidwalker's stacks lol.

I was trying Al'akir Heroic as Affliction, but even after I managed to figure out how to survive most of phase 2, playing way too defensively to make the enrage timer. No reason to do it Heroic other than for the challenge, of course.

Haven't tried C'thun yet, but just took down Toravon (VoA ice boss) on 25m difficulty. And holy crap what an annoying fight that was, 25 stacks of the debuff is just impossible to heal through when using a Voidwalker :\ Ended up using demonic gateway and portal to kite him around the instance and reset my Voidwalker's stacks lol.
    It took me a couple of wipes to get him down as well. What I ended up doing was soulburn: health funnel so I could keep dots and MGs on boss. I let VL die once in the beginning though so I could get as much nuke time on the boss as possible.