Farming at level 80? what should I expect?

OK I know there have been lots of "What is there to do at max level" posts but most people just list stuff like 100% map completion, sPvP, WvW. But where do you go to farm mobs and do they drop anything that will sell for a decent amount? Also what type of items are you farming at 80? Playing D3 for the last 4 months seems to have reverted me to my old Everquest state of mind and all I want to do is farm. Even while leveling if during a quest I find mobs that drop gems for example I will spend a few hours farming them. Im up to 68 so will be 80 soon just wondering what farming at 80 will yield and is it even worth it? Id like to amass enough gold to be able to PL an alt or 2 using crafting and get them twinked out so questing wont be as hard as it was for my current character. Also more gold means I can buy more gems and get stuff like the exp boots for even faster alt leveling and other cool stuff using gems.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2012-09-01 at 03:50 AM.

Deleted
    Farming at level 80 will be crafting materials, since you need materials crafted by certain disciplines for legendaries, farming mystic coins which I also believe you need for legendaries, farming skill points which is done by levelling up past 80, farming karma, which is done by doing dynamic events, these can buy you skins for your weapons like pirate skins or cultural skins.

That and, as you mentioned, farming gold for gems to get boosts, but exp boosts aren't very useful, karma boosts are a lot more useful.

There are 'tiers' of materials, I believe there are 5 tiers. You will most likely be farming and selling tier 5 materials, which aren't much harder to get than the other tiers (arguably easier to get than tier 1 materials) and selling those to high-level disciplines or keeping them yourself for when you level up your disciplines. The drive of this game's gear pursuit is cosmetic, which might play a bigger part than you may think. Looking at someone's shiny epics in WoW impresses you, no? Why? Because you know that their gear is better than yours. Is it cause it has high stats? You'd say yes - the answer is no. The answer is, how I said, because their gear is better than yours. Cosmetic gear works better. Why do you like their gear? Cause it looks cooler. Why will you strive to get it? Cause it impresses people.
    Last edited by mmoc64a56cce3c; 2012-09-01 at 03:57 AM.

Will there be a market for high level mats or will that take months to get going. Just gonna use WoW as an example real quick. When Cata launched I farmed the first 24 hours straight doing nothing but mining and herbing. I amassed a fortune because I was the only person selling elementium ore/bars and twilight jasmines and the trade skill power levelers paid out the ass for them. While the casuals play catch up for the next 2-4 months will there be a steady market for high level mats or should I save them for when theres more people at 80 and willing to buy them. Right now some mats I put up when the AH was live last night didnt even sell and I think its cause not enough people are high enough to use them.

Even at 80 do all classes remain equal when it comes to farming or are there some that given mobs of equal level do a far better and more efficient job?

So far being 80 since Sunday what I can say about farming is get a set of Magic Find gear ASAP. It really makes a difference. Currently I have a +79% Magic Find gear set and use +30% Magic Find food. It totally helps with farming crafting mats. Make sure you ALWAYS use Master Salvage Kits on Rare/Exotic items to get Globs of Ectoplasm. Globs are used for pretty much every Exotic crafted item.

Frostgorge Sound in the northern area seems to be the best place to farm for fine crafting materials Tier 5 (400 Skill) items.

Run around Frostgorge Sound, Cursed Shore, Malchor's Leap, and Straits of Devastation looking for Orichalcum Veins. Orichalcum is needed in certain armors, but it is especially needed for your Jewelry slots.
    Last edited by Cpand671; 2012-09-01 at 06:38 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Even at 80 do all classes remain equal when it comes to farming or are there some that given mobs of equal level do a far better and more efficient job?

Well the fastest way to farm crafting mats is probably the Thief, 25% run speed passive, shortbow gives you a medium range teleport on a short cd, multiple different methods of stealth (some on really short cd) let you drop mob aggro and high dps can kill pretty much anything (including vets) 1v1 rather quickly if needed.

Mine is 80 now and the thing I noticed most was being able to move around the map faster than everyone else (if mobs hit you your run speed drops by like 50% so you need to avoid stuff).

Oh and as the guy avoid me mentioned, get magic find gear/food.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify, the real endgame market will be in crafted items, and you can pretty much craft anything that drops from mobs (dyes, gear, bags, runes etc) so maximizing your crafting and collection of materials will put you in the best position to quickly and efficiently make the items in the highest demand.
    Last edited by mmocee72ac48eb; 2012-09-01 at 07:03 AM.

Is it cause it has high stats? You'd say yes - the answer is no. The answer is, how I said, because their gear is better than yours. Cosmetic gear works better. Why do you like their gear? Cause it looks cooler. Why will you strive to get it? Cause it impresses people.
    no the answer is actually yes, i transmogged my warriors gear to random lowbie greens because i dont give a shit about the aesthetics

Farm some higher lvl ore or low lvl fine mats like vials of weak blood, tiny venom sac etc, those arent so many of and I think the price on vials of weak blood were at 1 silver and some copper, which is pretty high considering how easy its to farm.

---------- Post added 2012-09-01 at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thisisanalt View Post
    Well the fastest way to farm crafting mats is probably the Thief, 25% run speed passive, shortbow gives you a medium range teleport on a short cd, multiple different methods of stealth (some on really short cd) let you drop mob aggro and high dps can kill pretty much anything (including vets) 1v1 rather quickly if needed.

Mine is 80 now and the thing I noticed most was being able to move around the map faster than everyone else (if mobs hit you your run speed drops by like 50% so you need to avoid stuff).

Oh and as the guy avoid me mentioned, get magic find gear/food.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify, the real endgame market will be in crafted items, and you can pretty much craft anything that drops from mobs (dyes, gear, bags, runes etc) so maximizing your crafting and collection of materials will put you in the best position to quickly and efficiently make the items in the highest demand.
    I can pretty good on warrior aswell, passive increase on movement speed while wearing a melee weapon, with greatsword I got 1 whirlwind which is on a very short cd due to my spec a charge that has 1200 range and an ulti which increases my movement speed for 30 sec with a 60 sec cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpand671 View Post
    So far being 80 since Sunday what I can say about farming is get a set of Magic Find gear ASAP.
    WTF. Tell me this isnt D3 all over again where I have to run max MF gear and still get shitty drops.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-09-01 at 04:15 PM.