Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    So far I've gotten 12 authorize log-in attempt e-mails. One included where it was coming from.

Address: 110.124.167.104
    City: Beijing
    Region: 22

I was not surprised it was from China.
    I changed me e-mail address and password for my Guild Wars 2 account and haven't had one since.
    Last edited by Ahleu; 2012-09-01 at 12:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan007 View Post
    Nothing in their regarding the Blizzard incident.
    /facepalm

What kind of unprofessional company would publicly blame another company for it's issues.

The thing is, forums like this one have been hacked since account hacking became popular, so for years now people have been using every exploit in common forum software to harvest passwords and emails. Then there's Sony, Blizzard, Valve, every company is getting hacked too.

You have to assume any commonly used passwords and email addresses are in some spreadsheet being passed around.

The weird part for me is I got "your guild wars 2 email has been changed" emails on a throwaway account that didn't even have gw2, it might have had a ncsoft account though. Someone in Sunnyvale CA logged into my email and to authorize a pw change on an account I didn't even know I had. Weird thing is I haven't used that emails password anywhere else, ever. It wasn't a particularly safe password but still it scares me.
    Last edited by hailey; 2012-09-01 at 01:05 PM.

Deleted
    I got one and i don't even have a GW2 account, so naturally my first instinct was it was fake, but there are no links in the email to go to 3rd party sites which is a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    Has anyone else gotten an email recently saying that someone has requested to change ur GW2 account email? I dont even have GW2 but i got 2 mails today saying that someone has tried to change my account email...
    Yup, I got two this morning actually. One stated that someone changed my email, and the second one was asking me to confirm it. I don't have a GW2 account, and it was sent to the email that I use for this sites registration.

Actually it's far more likely it was due to Blizzard being hacked and their user email database stolen a few weeks ago.
    Negative. I've got a completely different email that I use with Bnet, and I didn't change it since that incident. So far I've gotten zero non Blizzard email at that address.

The most likely culprit is through fan sites as they are the easiest targets as people can and will use the same email for everything.

Then it's just the buckshot approach. They keep firing until they hit something.

I received a few of these yesterday too. Of course I wasn't going to click the links inside, but the links DO look legit. I was a little worried until I realized they had sent the e-mails to an address I didn't use to sign up, lol.

They sent it to an e-mail I generally use for things I'd expect to get spam from.

I got the same emails, but on the address that I only use for my Battle.net account. I don't know how exactly that works considering I don't have a GW2 account registered under that address, but whatever.
    Last edited by Berserker Cronus; 2012-09-01 at 02:53 PM.

For those saying they got it and don't even have an account, maybe it's from your Beta account if you had one? i had a beta account and chose not to buy after playing it - but I have not gotten one of these... yet.
    Last edited by slime; 2012-09-01 at 02:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've gotten those mails as well, but not on the mail associated with Anet. I got them on the mail associated with this site however.
    Last edited by Ishu; 2012-09-01 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really not that hard to pick out whether or not it's fake. You can mouseover links to see where they actually go. If it's anything but a www.guildwars2.com URL, or perhaps account.guildwars2.com, then it's probably not safe to click the link. If you have any doubt, open up your browser and type in the URL (www.guildwars2.com) yourself instead of clicking on the link.

Test it out on this: http://www.google.com

It's also true that they should be coming from a specific arena net e-mail, but I don't often remember which one is the right one.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-01 at 04:20 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I opened one of the emails and acidentally clicked on the link thinking it was legitimate. It happened around the time of my account creation so I figured I needed to authenticate my account.

Had my account stolen about 2 days ago. Still waiting on a response from ANet.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    Ironically, the e-mail associated with blizzard is completely different from the E-mail i received from arenanet, which IS the e-mail I signed up with to MMO-champion.
    Case closed. Now you know how the chinese hackers got your email.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ducklino View Post
    I bet the email you got this spam is the same email you registered here in mmo champion right? mmo champion registered accounts email data base was stolen or sold. thats why when you make a new email and register here, you get a spam related to wow/d3/gw2 and others mmo's.
    Now you know how spamers got your email on their spaming/scaming list.
    Arenajunkies has this problem too.
    Indeed, once I had a hotmail adress only for MMO champ and nothing else. Guess what, my diablo 3 account was being investigated, even though it wasn't even on that address.

[Trade][MMO-Champion]: WTS user email adresses. 20$ per piece.

funny thing is, i got an email like this on an account that isnt even linked to gw2, but i didnt get it on the email account that is linked to gw2, even tho i dont use a special one for it or anything.

I'm still confused what this means for people who don't have a GW2 account. I mean, if the e-mails themselves are legitimate then how were they even able to log into a non-existent account to request an e-mail/password change in the first place? When I tried logging onto the GW2 site with my e-mail I got exactly what I expected: an error message saying that there's no account registered to that e-mail (which is as it should be).
    Last edited by Lane; 2012-09-02 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'm still confused what this means for people who don't have a GW2 account. I mean, if the e-mails themselves are legitimate then how were they even able to log into a non-existent account to request an e-mail/password change in the first place? When I tried logging onto the GW2 site with my e-mail I got exactly what I expected: an error message saying that there's no account registered to that e-mail (which is as it should be).
    Exactly, something is up, and it would be good if arenanet could explain what's going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primohastat View Post
    That toxicity is normal in WoW. Even classic. And it comes from this what so called elitism, spreading everywhere. Average player say that classic is piss easy and every aspect can be done with minimal effort. But right after that, the same player ignites with rage when someone wants to apply that minimal effort

Thanks for creating this thread.

I was trying to understand how the hell my GW2 email was changed if I never had GW2 account (even the beta one).
    I thought that I am crazy and don't remember things that I did in the past. Or that I'm lunatic and deep in the night I visit popular game websites and register on them. Or that my cat got access to my email and credit card and registered a GW2 account to play when I am not watching.

Now I know that there is nothing to worry about.

Except that it would be a good idea to change email for my WoW and mmo-champion accounts.

Scanning Accounts & Email Spam

Yesterday, three malicious users each changed the account names of their own Guild Wars 2 accounts thousands of times, scanning through lists of email addresses stolen from other games and web sites, presumably to determine which email addresses were available (not already used for a Guild Wars 2 account) and which were taken. It obviously shouldn't be possible to change your own account name so frequently. We temporarily disabled account name changes and have now restored but limited them to prevent this.

To the thousands of people who received emails stating, "the email address for your Guild Wars account has been changed," and are not even our customers, we sincerely apologize for the spam. Please be aware that your email address is on a list of account credentials that hackers have apparently stolen from other games and web sites and are systematically scanning.

To Guild Wars 2 customers whose email addresses are being tested by hackers but not stolen, thank you for protecting your account by choosing a new, unique password for Guild Wars 2. Even though your unique password should protect you, we think you deserve to know if hackers have your email address on their list of credentials stolen from other games and web sites, so we'll send you periodic notifications when we see hackers testing your account.

---------------

To those wondering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primohastat View Post
    That toxicity is normal in WoW. Even classic. And it comes from this what so called elitism, spreading everywhere. Average player say that classic is piss easy and every aspect can be done with minimal effort. But right after that, the same player ignites with rage when someone wants to apply that minimal effort