Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Something strange going on in GW2 land?

So this morning when I checked my email I noticed 2 new emails from GW2, both talking about changing the email on my account. I'm already very familiar with the typical scam emails that people will send out pretending to be blizzard ("Your account has been disabled, please log in if you wish to contest this" and so on), however these are not that.

http://i.imgur.com/scDVH.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/AY0Tl.jpg

I checked the links in the emails and they all point directly to the actual GW2 site (guildwars2.com). Now here's the real kicker; I don't have a GW2 account. Up until I got these emails I've never even gone to the GW2 site, and similarly the GW1 site/game. So the first question -- how did they get my email in the first place, and second, why do they think I have an account with them?

Random bots scanning unsecure sites for email addresses = spam

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks to me like clicking on the second link verifies the change to the e-mail address. Otherwise, it doesn't change.

Did you have a beta account?
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-01 at 05:37 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

No, like I said I never even went to the site in the first place, let alone take part in the game in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymzkerten View Post
    No, like I said I never even went to the site in the first place, let alone take part in the game in any way.
    Hrm. Don't see why they would send you that e-mail then.

All I know is, the e-mail does appear to be coming from a legit place, and linking to GW2 stuff. It's unlikely that it was sent by hackers.

It looks similar to an earlier e-mail I got to confirm my e-mail address for the verification thing, which is perfectly legit:

ArenaNet noreply@guildwars2.com

Aug 21 (11 days ago)

to me

Thanks for creating a Guild Wars account!

You're almost done-we just need you to confirm your email address by clicking the link below.

https://account.guildwars2.com/verif...D0-292174633F7

Need help or have questions about your account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

--The ArenaNet Team
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-01 at 06:12 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    So this morning when I checked my email I noticed 2 new emails from GW2, both talking about changing the email on my account. I'm already very familiar with the typical scam emails that people will send out pretending to be blizzard ("Your account has been disabled, please log in if you wish to contest this" and so on), however these are not that.

I checked the links in the emails and they all point directly to the actual GW2 site (guildwars2.com). Now here's the real kicker; I don't have a GW2 account. Up until I got these emails I've never even gone to the GW2 site, and similarly the GW1 site/game. So the first question -- how did they get my email in the first place, and second, why do they think I have an account with them?
    Received the same mails while being asleep today... Checked who had accessed my email account because of the second mail confirming that my email linked to my Guild Wars 2 account had been changed but nobody during that time had accessed my email...

Funniest part is that I don't have Guild Wars 2, didn't participate in the beta... Only way I am somehow afflicted to those guys are trough NCSoft and Aion which hasn't been used for ages...

Yea I just checked my email usage history and the only 3 IPs currently on record are my phone, my work comp, and my home comp, and none of those are likely to be compromised locations.

Deleted
    I'm starting to think the GW2 password reset program first sends a link to confirm the password change, and only then does it check if you actually have one...

Either that or you had a GW1 account or trial?

Nope, I've never gone to any GW or GW2 website or anything like that, never had an account with them on any of their games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I'm starting to think the GW2 password reset program first sends a link to confirm the password change, and only then does it check if you actually have one...
    Hrm. Wouldn't be surprised by that.

I've received the same emails and have absolutely no affiliation with Arena Net.

The addresses look legit however which has left me entirely baffled.

I'm not having the same issue as you are, but definitely having issues atm. This morning when trying to log on, it promoted me for email-verification, which I found an email in my inbox, and clicked the link, game confirmed and let me play. Stopped for breakfast, came back after lunch, again, same thing, strange though, cause the IP is identical, but whatever, I click the link again, game confirms and lets me in.

Now, I logged out for a min, went to log back on, and it's again asking for email verification, but I'm not getting any email. Whats worse, I try logging onto their support forums, and it's requesting the same email-verification that the game is, so can't log onto their website.

Submitted support ticket, hopefully this gets resolved soon. And before anyone asks...yes, I checked junk mail.
    Last edited by Siight; 2012-09-01 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siight View Post
    I'm not having the same issue as you are, but definitely having issues atm. This morning when trying to log on, it promoted me for email-verification, which I found an email in my inbox, and clicked the link, game confirmed and let me play. Stopped for breakfast, came back after lunch, again, same thing, strange though, cause the IP is identical, but whatever, I click the link again, game confirms and lets me in.

Now, I logged out for a min, went to log back on, and it's again asking for email verification, but I'm not getting any email. Whats worse, I try logging onto their support forums, and it's requesting the same email-verification that the game is, so can't log onto their website.

Submitted support ticket, hopefully this gets resolved soon. And before anyone asks...yes, I checked junk mail.
    I've looked at their twitter account (Trying to figure out this email business) and they said that this email verification is basically working as intended.

Their response to the email change is simply "ignore it and delete it.", my question is, why do they have my email address?
    Last edited by Goldfingaz; 2012-09-01 at 06:53 PM.

Deleted

I get mails about accounts on games I've never played too. Don't worry about it. Scammers be scamming.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Hrm. Wouldn't be surprised by that.
    Says that the account isn't registered with a GW2 account if you try entering a fake email. I tried when I made a typo when changing my email so didn't know my account name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Says that the account isn't registered with a GW2 account if you try entering a fake email. I tried when I made a typo when changing my email so didn't know my account name.
    Could it have something to do with this then?

The thing is, either it's directly from Arena Net and legitimately linking to their web site, or it's from a scammer pretending to be them linking to a fake web page.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've gotten a few of these too, and the weird thing is that they really don't appear to be scam emails. I didn't click any of the links, to be on the safe side, but the headers match emails that I know are from ArenaNet and all the links point directly to the guild wars 2 site. As in, the actual links, not just the link text, and it's not a case of one letter being different to fool people that don't read closely. Bizarre stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I get mails about accounts on games I've never played too. Don't worry about it. Scammers be scamming.
    Except this isn't a scammer. Like I said the links in the email are directly to the GW2 site, not some "en.guild-wars2.co.in" type of site.

I have the same problem with the email verification stupid thing is that they haven't sent me an email and i have checked my junk folder for it. The forums also require the email verification and i have created a ticket hoping they will send me the email but i am beginning to think is it really worth bothering with at the moment, don't get me wrong i enjoy the game... when its working but just recently it seems i have had more downtime than actually playing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except this isn't a scammer. Like I said the links in the email are directly to the GW2 site, not some "en.guild-wars2.co.in" type of site.
    It may still be a scammer that just links to the genuine site. Keyloggers won't work on people who use the remember password feature, so it's possible that they're just trying to get people to change their password so the keylogger will pick it up then.