Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is just my opinion because i am not max level in gw2, but i find WoW way more "grindy" then gw2. It is nice to get experience from just about everything. Most people i know who played WoW, did not read the quest text. but they still had an idea of the game and story. I am not bashing WoW, i played it for a LONG time, but i lost focus in cataclysm because of the repetitiveness.

But i respect your opinion, as for now i enjoy this game immensely. I will not have a true feel of the game till i hit max level. After Rift and swtor, i am not going to say whether i like the game or not. But i can say rift, now has a decent end game. if they had the content they have now at release, they would be a bigger contender then what they currently are.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    It's exactly running around looking for DEs that translate in simply monster whacking that I find the most grindy. I'm not involved in any plot, story or whatever, I'm just running around aimlessly, looking for random pop-ups telling me to kill some kind of monster several times. And to make matters worse, these pop-ups don't even provide any exciting reward beyond a few copper pennies and a measly amount of xp.
    Are you talking to NPCs? There is quite a bit of information you can gather from them. Not just the people with icons over their heads. When you complete a DE, do you immediately take off, or stick around to see what the NPCs have to say afterwards? Many events will chain into another event, but may take 30-60 seconds before it triggers, due to the various NPC conversations going on. I'm 73 now, and I'm not even paying attention to my level. There have been numerous times where I brought up my hero panel and realized I had 4+ trait points to spend.

As for the rewards, are the events fun? If so, should that not be reward enough? Having fun in a game? Sure, there are always going to be DEs that one dislikes, but there are plenty others that are pretty damn awesome. However, if you are not liking DEs at all, and you're well into (or past) the 20s, then I may have some bad news for you, DEs are the bread and butter of the game. DEs are your questing system and DEs are what you'll primarily be doing at level cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starxxx View Post
    This is just my opinion because i am not max level in gw2, but i find WoW way more "grindy" then gw2. It is nice to get experience from just about everything. Most people i know who played WoW, did not read the quest text. but they still had an idea of the game and story. I am not bashing WoW, i played it for a LONG time, but i lost focus in cataclysm because of the repetitiveness.

But i respect your opinion, as for now i enjoy this game immensely. I will not have a true feel of the game till i hit max level. After Rift and swtor, i am not going to say whether i like the game or not. But i can say rift, now has a decent end game. if they had the content they have now at release, they would be a bigger contender then what they currently are.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

They took out endgame and left in the leveling.

This is the first RPG I've played where I don't even pay attention to my exp bar. Of course I generally don't go trotting off into a new area when it's 5 levels above me, but there is still stuff to do when the content outlevels you. Go play in a different area, collect some mats and explore,,, by the time you've said "ok that's enough", you're back on par for the next area.

Crafting on the other hand I think could be sped up a bit. I hate grinding mobs to find the necessary "rare mats". I don't mind gathering in the traditional sense, running around hitting ore veins and chopping trees (it's a good excuse to explore), but when I have to grind mobs for random drops, THAT is grindy. Generally any time I have to stand in a small area, repeatedly killing things for 30 minutes while I hope for particular drops, I think the game could do without.
    Last edited by nightshark; 2012-09-04 at 04:05 AM.

Grind is just a slang term used by gamers to label to repeating a task over and over. Seems like that needs to be repeated every once in a while...
    Ragnarok Online, ROSE, post TBC Heroic Dungeons in WoW, Raids in WoW/TOR/RIFT, etc. Those are a grind. That's repeating the same thing over and over because the game is forcing you to. Your character is out of date & cannot perform optimally in new content until you complete those tasks.

GW2's grind is 100% optional: legendary weapons, PVP rank, and dungeon exotics - all of which are aesthetic bonuses. If you don't find world exploration and events fun, that's fine, but it's not because it's a grind. You just don't find the game fun, and that's ok! It's just a little disappointing to see the word grind used to label arenanet's world exploration, when they have done so much to give it so much flavor, variety, and awesome little touches everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    They stopped sales
    that's a lie. they stopped 1st party digital sales, boxes and 3rd party digital sales are wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Naughts Skyway View Post
    Grind is just a slang term used by gamers to label to repeating a task over and over. Seems like that needs to be repeated every once in a while...
    Ragnarok Online, ROSE, post TBC Heroic Dungeons in WoW, Raids in WoW/TOR/RIFT, etc. Those are a grind. That's repeating the same thing over and over because the game is forcing you to. Your character is out of date & cannot perform optimally in new content until you complete those tasks.

GW2's grind is 100% optional: legendary weapons, PVP rank, and dungeon exotics - all of which are aesthetic bonuses. If you don't find world exploration and events fun, that's fine, but it's not because it's a grind. You just don't find the game fun, and that's ok! It's just a little disappointing to see the word grind used to label arenanet's world exploration, when they have done so much to give it so much flavor, variety, and awesome little touches everywhere.
    I'm missing on the flavor and variety. ESPECIALLY variety. Flavor kinda picks up later on it seems, but variety is still very poor - pretty much every event is a disguised kill quest.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

So yeah, I bought GW2. Played nearly half a day today and you know, I don't really get the whole "redefining the genre" they were prophesizing. The game looks and feels very polished, and the graphics and attention to detail are absolutely stunning. Having said that, I feel extremely "meh" about world events. The idea was that they were supposed to make the world feel alive, but so far I honestly can't say that I get that feeling. Maybe this is only true for low levels, but they feel very simplistic and repetitive. But the worst part is that the events fail to actually connect me to the world.
    I couldn't agree more with this. Game looks amazing, but it just doesn't draw me in, and the DE's are just "kill this" or "collect this". It hasn't redefined anything.

I'm missing on the flavor and variety. ESPECIALLY variety. Flavor kinda picks up later on it seems, but variety is still very poor - pretty much every event is a disguised kill quest.
    I got a newsflash for you: Every quest is a disguised hunt, as I think it was called. It was something before WoW, when there were very few quests around the world, and it was about killing a lot of one of kind of beasts, so you could become better and kill a lot of different beasts. Quests and events are PRESENTATIONS, the way they present those things. I think TB had something he called the "5 D's".

---------- Post added 2012-09-04 at 07:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I couldn't agree more with this. Game looks amazing, but it just doesn't draw me in, and the DE's are just "kill this" or "collect this". It hasn't redefined anything.
    It's an evolution, no matter what you think. It would be revolution if they had, after more than a decade, killed the hunt.

Duh? What did you think it would be, it's an MMO based on combating NPCs/other people.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    And what will you do at 80?
    I'm already exploring-pvp'ing and most people will love to get legendaries.