PvP Doesn't Feel Good In Guild Wars 2

So I kinda like Guild Wars 2 overall... I'm not sure it's really an MMO, but I didn't pay anything for the game (a friend paid for it), and it has no monthly fee obviously, so as far as free entertainment goes, I'd say it's pretty good

I don't think the PvP is very good though. On those World v World maps, it's just a massive group of people ramming into another massive group of people, and whoever has more people and more AoE damage wins... it reminds me of Wintergrasp or Tol Barad in World of Warcraft. It seems like it might be a fun idea, and it's cool once or twice, but after a while, you realize that there's really no skill involved, and it feels very pointless.

Add to that, the somewhat clunky/unresponsive combat and movement just doesn't feel good in PvP. In this way, GW2 is exactly like Aion, or Star Wars: the Old Republic, where PvE content (Raids, leveling, etc) is okay, despite awkward combat, but in PvP it just doesn't work

I'll probably play around with GW2 for a while, maybe level a couple of classes up to max (though I might get tired of the grind and not do that either), and I'll do some of the more structured PvP, but I don't think I'll be PvPing much unless they really fix it up. This is somewhat disappointing, since a lot of people kept saying that GW2 was going to be a PvP focused game, with really good PvP. The PvE stuff is really cool though, especially the world events

Does anyone else feel the same way?
    Last edited by Shadylol; 2012-09-02 at 03:11 PM.
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

What do you mean you didn't pay for it? Wv3 isn't balanced PvP. The structured PvP is much less Zergy.

Quote Originally Posted by jac_Arcanis View Post
    What do you mean you didn't pay for it? Wv3 isn't balanced PvP. The structured PvP is much less Zergy.
    A friend paid for it. I'll keep that in mind about the structured PvP though (didn't get around to trying it yet), hopefully I'll like that more
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

I spent the first 4-5 days of launch doing mostly PvE, and then I started doing sPvP and WvW...non stop. I'm addicted to both as of right now. WvW may feel zergy at first, but don't forget you can always go off and try to pick people off one by one. You don't have to stay with the group.

sPvP is a blast but "Raid of the Capricorn" is getting annoying

I was indeed turned off by the movement in the game. But, since then have read many posts on here that there are ways to customize this through camera and movement speeds settings that will greatly improve "how it feels". I feel like I should just bite the bullet and buy this game, since like you said it's basically free. I really really did not like anything about GW2 in the Beta weekends, but I always said this is just beta.. maybe it'll be better on release.

in WvW you can always break off into smaller group and do your own thing and it is what I have been doing quite a bit, good fun. I have also played alone and during the sieges picking off targets here and there ( I am a thief ). As for movement, people who have not played GW2 before - first when you get into the game, it WILL feel different and weird, you need to get use to it, but once you do (for me it took originally around 2-4 hours ) - it is very dynamic and fluid.

If you want less zergy more balanced pvp try out sPvP. WvW I think is for casual pvp'ers
    Last edited by jtgizmo; 2012-09-02 at 02:16 PM.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Learn the secret areas that lead into the keeps and so on and it becomes a much more fun game. Me and my friends(5 including me) have wiped a defending group of 20+ while our main force was attacking the gates by going through hidden paths and attack from the inside, and even if they killed us it gave are main force enough time to breach the gates and clear up the rest. WvW is a amazing game mode once your server starts buying upgrades for your keeps and so on. This is a warzone, not lets hold hands and fight 1v1 in a field of flowers....that's whats spvp is for and I love it. Let the mass zerg army come and die to my armies tactics and skill <3
    Last edited by zeelic; 2012-09-02 at 02:25 PM.

WvW seems zergy because you keep following the group and zerging... it is NOT designed for that! Next time get a group of 5 to 10 and dont go with the group, go the other direction with a siege weapon of some kind, make sure your party has supply too! Then take something with just those guys and tell me how it is... if you play it wrong you cant come on to a forum and say "its nothing but a zerg-fest, when thats all you do is follow around the group... WvW can go in 2 directions on your server, people will continue to figure out that spreading out and strategy will over come the big zerg group OR your server will continue to group as a zerg force and other servers will figure it out... but those servers who do figure it out will always be on top!

If 40 people from team A are attacking a keep (zerg), and 10 people are defending it from team B with the proper buildups and the other 30 from the defending side split into 2 groups and attack team As keeps or supplies, by the time the 40 break into the keep and take it they will lose the other 2 areas... must... learn... to... play...

The combat is average to me, not incredible but not bad either. WvW I have to agree, it feels like way too many people aoe'ing with no real purpose or point.

I, like a couple other people, am extremely put off by the movement in the game. The character bouncing makes me cringe the entire time I'm playing. It appears you are running on a plane just above the ground, like they coded them separately and never combined them. Very disappointing for a game with this much hype, and gamebreaking for me at least.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

15+ Year Old Account
    Disliking WvW alot as melee, you literally can't hit anybody because of lag / teleporting around. Saying you should split up into small groups is nice and all, but every time we do that we get butchered by an onslaught of others. Nobody ever dies in the zerg ball because you need to come in close to finish them or they just get revived. Not liking it at all, and I'm quite annoyed it is in the monthly achievement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    So I kinda like Guild Wars 2 overall... I'm not sure it's really an MMO, but I didn't pay anything for the game (a friend paid for it), and it has no monthly fee obviously, so as far as free entertainment goes, I'd say it's pretty good

I don't think the PvP is very good though. On those World v World maps, it's just a massive group of people ramming into another massive group of people, and whoever has more people and more AoE damage wins... it reminds me of Wintergrasp or Tol Barad in World of Warcraft. It seems like it might be a fun idea, and it's cool once or twice, but after a while, you realize that there's really no skill involved, and it feels very pointless. Add to that, the somewhat clunky/unresponsive combat and movement just doesn't feel good in PvP. In this way, GW2 is exactly like Aion, or Star Wars: the Old Republic, where PvE content (Raids, leveling, etc) is okay, despite awkward combat, but in PvP it just doesn't work

I'll probably play around with GW2 for a while, maybe level a couple of classes up to max (though I might get tired of the grind and not do that either), and I'll do some of the more structured PvP, but I don't think I'll be PvPing much unless they really fix it up. This is somewhat disappointing, since a lot of people kept saying that GW2 was going to be a PvP focused game, with really good PvP. The PvE stuff is really cool though, especially the world events

Does anyone else feel the same way?

If you join the zerg then yes, its a clusterfuck. but thats WvWvW combat, its pretty fun but its not really a test of comparitive skill. Thats said a well played group can hold off a massive zerg for a quite a long time.

If you want smalller battles, leave the zerg. I've been running round attacking sentries, taking out dolyaks and so on, and I frequently run into solo players from other worlds or pairs of players, and I get some good action going.

But if you run wiht the zerg, you will get zerg pvp...

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, I'm curious why you feel that it's not an MMO. I've seen more people out and about in the world than just about any other so-called MMO that I've played (except perhaps The Secret World, but that had fewer servers).

@Sting you have to be smarter then your opponent, use roads less traveled make sure to always have a way to get swiftness. I have never had a problem out pacing a zerg most the time the players are mindless drones that all flock to one target. Again this mode is about tactics and you can wipe out a zerg with a small group if you learn how to use said tactics. Terrain and siege weapons are import as well, take the high ground when every you can, arrow carts work amazing on groups and do not cost all that much to make. Flanking is anther simple tactic most do not use and is very effective when a smaller force is going up against a larger one.

Deleted
    so the question is has ever existed a mmo with a decent pvp mode that made all players happy? I think that idea of the perfect pvp with epic battles, where tactic and skill matters and the victory means something is just in our heads.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wv3 can definitely be fun, especially when your winning. It gives you more options.

There are a few things that I think are bad idea's on A-net's part though. Downed state - If I am shooting you in the face with hundreds of arrows or slicing your legs off with swords, your dead, if your friend comes and tries to bandage your face while those arrows are bashing it, that is not going to do a darn thing, it needs to go, most people just stay down, at least in WvW so it is pointless anyway.

No roles. Knowing I was a healer in WoW was what made PvP fun for me. Trying to heal through 2-3 enemy players on me was what it was all about, my team had to count on me to heal, I had to count on my tanks to peel and tank and I had to count on my dps to kill their healers and players before they killed me. With GW2 you don't have that, sure you have some professions that can heal, but no dedicated healers or tanks and all that, and I really, really don't like it.

This one has to do with PvE but still, it is a major one for me personally.

No Raiding!! The PvE right now is good, some of the events are a lot funner than others. I just think that if they added raiding, it would make the game that much more epic. Right now Guilds have nothing to use to say they are the best on their server. Guild Emblems disappear from banners in WvW and there is no name to know what guild they are, nothing with structured for Guilds. So there is nothing, and in WoW, that was something guilds kept and eye on and were proud of and tried to strive for.

The final complaint I have is this

The Guild represent system.

It is absolutely one of the dumbest ideas that I have ever seen. I am a GM, so for me it is even worse. Not only do you have people joining multiple guilds and then just sticking with one, but it completely takes away from what a guild is supposed to be. Guilds are supposed to grow into a tight knit or big group of friends who stick together and all that jazz. I don't know, this one just bothers me for a game called Guild Wars, they should know what a Guild is. Not only that, but Guild Wars??? There are no Guild Wars going on, it is one faction with 0 World PvP and 0 PvE competition between guilds.

Other than that, I love the game :P

Got a whole thread to air your grievances: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...PINIONS-INSIDE

Right on page one no less.

-- Fencers