Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb What do you think of American games?

i just wanna see everyones opinions on American made games. i know we have a lot of european members on mmo-champ so i'd like to see their opinions on this.

i personally think american games are the best in the world.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Ive never given a shit as to where my games come from. I have no clue where half the developers and based and frankly I cant understand why anyone would give a fucking shit?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you give me companies, chances are I would have no idea where each came from. I know Blizzard is American...Ubisoft is French? Swedish? I don't know, but Bungie is American too I believe. I honestly don't really care, as long as it is a good game.

Well actually games from Japan are usually too hard for me, like Ninety Nine Knights was dreadful.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Hmm... TBH I don't very often pay attention where my games come from.

That said, being an old school gamer, I'd say Japan also makes some awesome games.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

15+ Year Old Account
    If to even touch this subject we have to talk about the studios making the games and not the publisher or the owner etc.
    MMO's - US hands down.
    FPS - EU
    Those are the prime genres I play so the only ones I know well.

I hate consoles but I recon Asia is the topdog in that area.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2012-09-03 at 09:08 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I think that most games are international by now. Ubisoft is French but they have subsidiaries in pretty much any major country, Ubisoft Montreal being one of the biggest and most influential.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-09-03 at 09:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bit conflicted, really. I like a good number of American developers, I think we have some fine teams here. Volition is one of my favorites. Not all that famous, but maybe you've heard of their Red Faction series. I hate to go too mainstream here, but I've recently fallen in love with Arenanet, even if they can't seem to work an auction house properly. I'd like to say that I don't care for Activision and EA, but god if I don't find myself playing their games time after time. I do enjoy a lot of foreign games though. I grew up on Japanese RPGs, so there's that.

Now here's my question: Tom Clancy games. I'm obsessed with them, but I can't figure out where we'd say they originated. Now, they're all developed by Ubisoft, which is a French company (lots of people think it's Canadian, mind you), but the team that specifically does all the Tom Clancy games operates out of America. Coupled with the fact that the games are based on American literature (and the main character is always an American), I'm leaning towards calling those American games rather than French games. But I feel like it's entirely debatable.
    Last edited by Kalyyn; 2012-09-03 at 09:14 AM.

I don't understand why we still call things "American X" or "British X" or "French X". The OP feels like he's just fishing for annoyance from people. Aren't we entangled enough globally to stop being so nationalistic when it comes to things that don't even matter, like video games?

At least, the Western world.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-09-03 at 09:16 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I don't understand why we still call things "American X" or "British X" or "French X". The OP feels like he's just fishing for annoyance from people. Aren't we entangled enough globally to stop being so nationalistic when it comes to things that don't even matter, like video games?

Totally nailed it. Thank you. I always think about this when silly little things like this come up.

The video games are pretty easy to put in categories like this. These were made in Japan, these were made somewhere else. Those are the only categories there are, because that's the only place where you'll find a clear-cut, region based difference. And even that is getting fuzzy at times nowadays.

Gaming industry is an international business, and culturally speaking, mostly homogenic on a global scale. The location of the company doesn't really say much about where people working for it are from, either. There's no such thing as an american game or an european game.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

Judging by who the OP is, I totally agree with you.

This won't end well.