Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Banned for offensive language?

and suspended 23 accounts for using very offensive language or names.
    Taken from the Sept 1 "State of the Game" article. I can slightly understand the banning of someone over an offensive name, but banning over offensive language? Is this for real? Players have the option to keep the language filter on (which it is by DEFAULT). If someone is that emotionally sensitive that they can't handle the harshness of the internet and its online bullies, perhaps they shouldn't turn if off. Anyway, just saw this, completely disagreed with their policy on both player interaction and was curious what your reactions were.

Hearing about these kinds of bans is what keeps me from buying the game, don't want to spend money then keep getting banned or locked for saying something minor or things that will make someone pissy. Most of my characters in games have some smartass name to them too, so thats a problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojou View Post
    Taken from the Sept 1 "State of the Game" article. I can slightly understand the banning of someone over an offensive name, but banning over offensive language? Is this for real? Players have the option to keep the language filter on (which it is by DEFAULT). If someone is that emotionally sensitive that they can't handle the harshness of the internet and its online bullies, perhaps they shouldn't turn if off. Anyway, just saw this, completely disagreed with their policy on both player interaction and was curious what your reactions were.
    Just because there's a filter though doesent mean you can just go out and call people crap? its still offending.
    So i can choose to put the filter on, yet someone goes and calls me for example a fag or the N word, you think the person shouldnt be banned for it?

You can say what you want but it doesent mean you always should! just like irl.
    Last edited by mmoce3c3da46cf; 2012-09-03 at 11:36 AM.

Deleted
    You're late to the party, mate. This, along with (I think) all other ban and suspension reasons, have been discussed in great detail over here.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ban-discussion

Also, huge difference between suspension and ban. Ban is permanent, suspension is temporary. And before anyone says anything, "temporary ban" doesn't exist, it's just a more sensationalist term for "suspension".

All in the context.

Welcome to online gaming. If you purchase an MMO that isn't "M" rated, of course they're going to enforce language restrictions. This is nothing new.

Is it really that difficult not to curse? Can you not function without doing so?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I'm glad they took this route, I really don't see why people feel the need to be offensive to others in map chat. Filter or not it’s about time the gaming industry removed the crap that comes with online gaming.

23 people is a very small number, I'm sure they were extremely offensive somehow. So far Anet has surprised me with how much effort they put into keeping the game clean. It's all good.

Deleted
    Person 1: Everything is so offensive to me!

Person 2: How gives a fuck, it's your problem.

This isnt a case of people being banned for using profanity, its a case of people in all caps yelling useless cuss words and insults. Sorry, if someone is so immature as to flood map chat with "very offensive language", then sorry, I don't think that anyone wants them in the game. The profanity filter is to censor tho occasional word that might offend someone, not to censor everything a user says. When chat devolves into just throwing insults at other people and using racial or sexual demeaning terms then its in the best interest of everyone that the person be removed. The same thing with usernames. It does not add to the game to have a usernames that are just meant to offend.

And from the support team itself... "The number of account blocks is miniscule: less than .001% of our total player base."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    I'm glad they took this route, I really don't see why people feel the need to be offensive to others in map chat. Filter or not it’s about time the gaming industry removed the crap that comes with online gaming.
    Pretty much this, the GW2 community is really nice. its hard to get on an MMO these days without the whole community being peens

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Hearing about these kinds of bans is what keeps me from buying the game, don't want to spend money then keep getting banned or locked for saying something minor or things that will make someone pissy. Most of my characters in games have some smartass name to them too, so thats a problem.
    You wont be banned for cussing. You will be banned for trolling and yelling in chat racial and sexual slurs. I am glad Anet is banning players for this, if anything it should make you want to buy the game more, not less.

And there is a difference between a 'smartass' name and an offensive name.
    Last edited by anothdae; 2012-09-03 at 11:44 AM.

Same rules as every MMO, ANet just actually enfore them. I for one am overjoyed at these actions, especially the bit where they publicly call you out for your actions. Be civil, or go away while we laugh at you.

I think it's great also, a company actually enforcing the TOS with the aim of creating a solid community. The fact there is no sub in this game clearly means they can and will enforce the TOS where as other sub based MMO's have to take into consideration losing the sub money, Anet don’t and have the freedom to act appropriately.

WoW has been taking action against people who use foul language since day one.

There was a thread on redit a few days ago where Anet offered to look up exactly why folks were given suspensions and put it out in the open if the person requested it on that thread by giveing their character name. While a few of them were questionable but not all that bad in my book there were also a number of them that made me wonder why anybody thought saying that kind of crap to another human being was all right. They dont ban for an ocasional damn or Fbomb, its when the player decides to see how insulting they can be while stringing togeather as many profanities in a single sentence and still get something resembeling a point accross that they pull out the ban hammer.

Who is John Galt?

I don't get it.
    You are whining that you got banned for using offensive language on this forum, mmo-champion, where using offensive language would get you banned even faster than in any mmo?

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Indeed, it's a breath of fresh air to play GW2 where you can enjoy grouping and doing events with pretty much everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

15+ Year Old Account
    The filter is not a carte blanche to behave like an online bully with no regards to human dignity which is what people would take it for if there were no threat of account suspensions on the other side. It's a soft measure because some people react adverse to words which are not necessarily a reason for banning. So they can actually concentrate on the real cases which are often overlooked because for some people it's very okay to see other people behaving like that.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fps90 View Post
    WoW has been taking action against people who use foul language since day one.
    no they dont, this is an Anet thing.