Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    That, or only 23 people have ever said fuck in GW2. Lolol. Seemslegit.
    If you've seen the Reddit-page where people asked why they got banned, you'll notice that only directed and uncalled for personal insults where banned.
    It's a shame though that people with midly offensive names get the treatment as people who'll call others retarded cunts.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    but sometimes telling someone they are fucking terrible is the only way to show them just how bad they are D:
    Depends how you say it really. I have never reported someone for saying that a group sucks or they are terrible. But usually it was within limits. Some people started to roll out their entire lowlevel vocabulary in one sentence and they usually should be reported. Same for people who tell others in a serious manner to get killed or commit suicide in real life over failures in-game because that's disproportionate rudeness.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-09-03 at 01:23 PM. Reason: grammar
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I think it's a good thing. I'm sick of having my gaming experience marred by potty-mouthed brats throwing tantrums. Perhaps they can finally learn to extend their repertoire of adjectives beyond 'gay'.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    If you've seen the Reddit-page where people asked why they got banned, you'll notice that only directed and uncalled for personal insults where banned.
    It's a shame though that people with midly offensive names get the treatment as people who'll call others retarded cunts.
    Meh even cunt is just a word, I see calling someone a cunt as no much worse than calling them a dickhead.

I've also read some of the names people have been banned for and oh my, makes me think the A.net Mods were kids that were bullied in highschool that now feel they have some power.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh even cunt is just a word, I see calling someone a cunt as no much worse than calling them a dickhead.

I've also read some of the names people have been banned for and oh my, makes me think the A.net Mods were kids that were bullied in highschool that now feel they have some power.
    Well, I'm hard to offend with just words, and I do swear a lot in casual conversation. But words carry meaning and insulting people does nothing good for the community. If someone is playing sub-optimal, just point that out without swearing or do better and offer them advice.
    And their naming policy is a bit draconic. Three-day ban for naming yourself Sir Itchyballs and giving the same punishment to people who'll call others fucking gay nigger asses or something, seems disproportionate. I appreciate that they're trying to keep the game family-friendly, but there are levels of offensiveness.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojou View Post
    Taken from the Sept 1 "State of the Game" article. I can slightly understand the banning of someone over an offensive name, but banning over offensive language? Is this for real? Players have the option to keep the language filter on (which it is by DEFAULT). If someone is that emotionally sensitive that they can't handle the harshness of the internet and its online bullies, perhaps they shouldn't turn if off. Anyway, just saw this, completely disagreed with their policy on both player interaction and was curious what your reactions were.
    This has not everything to do with people being emotionally sensitive, but about treating people in a non-offensive way. The profanity filter doesn't solve everything either.
    The other day I did something unintentionally wrong in the game (was doing something for the first time, which isn't so strange with a game being barely a week old). Shortly after that I received a whisper from someone saying "I hope you die, retard". This person has taken a step too far imo, so I reported him.
    It's nice that ArenaNet actually tries to do something about people who say stuff like this. If they get banned for their actions maybe other people will think twice before they do such a thing and this will create a (hopefully) nicer community.
    If you don't like the policy, don't play the game (Reading your post I'm assuming you don't... I'm just saying that in general)

The idea about 2 chat channels is a nice idea as well, I think.

Deleted

It is called taking responsiblity for your actions, people swear without getting banned, what they get banned for is hurling abuse at another player, pretty simple be civil to people that you don't know, it isn't difficult.

I use very "unnacceptable" words all the time in chat. Like "Holy shit, this dragon is so fucking boring." I never use words to insult people however. I think as long it's not all over the top and you don't insult others, then it's ok, but if your name is "Adolf Hitler" and you go calling everyone "nazis" then yes, you deserve to be banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    These are example of what people were actually banned for saying: (source)

Just give us the link, Mif. -- Fencers
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-09-03 at 04:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, Mif. That should clear things up.
    Damn, even I got a little uncomfortable reading that, and I'm generally pretty good with bad language.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Just because there is a "filter" doesn't give someone the right to be a bully.

10+ Year Old Account

Words have power whether you like it or not. So ArenaNet is holding people responsible for their words and use of them.

A shocking thought: make people accountable for their actions!
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2012-09-03 at 02:08 PM.

Do you calls strangers you meet in real life offensive names and act like a child? No? Then apply the same logic in-game and you wont have a problem.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Players have the option to keep the language filter on (which it is by DEFAULT). If someone is that emotionally sensitive that they can't handle the harshness of the internet and its online bullies, perhaps they shouldn't turn if off. Anyway, just saw this, completely disagreed with their policy on both player interaction and was curious what your reactions were.
    Actually, the bully is emotionally sensitive, otherwise they wouldn't need anonymity to pick on people. There is actually no emotion being displayed by bullied people, as it's arena net taking action.

Taken from the Sept 1 "State of the Game" article. I can slightly understand the banning of someone over an offensive name, but banning over offensive language? Is this for real? Players have the option to keep the language filter on (which it is by DEFAULT). If someone is that emotionally sensitive that they can't handle the harshness of the internet and its online bullies, perhaps they shouldn't turn if off. Anyway, just saw this, completely disagreed with their policy on both player interaction and was curious what your reactions were.
    or you could just act normal like you would do irl. you use offensive language you get the ban hammer. maybe then people will learn to behave.
    i hope arenanet can keep that up.

thump up for arenanet.

10+ Year Old Account

Or maybe life does not revolve around high school and the mods have kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    23?

Yawn. I've personally gotten way more people banned for saying "fuck" in non-abusive context than that. I can't really extrapolate on the specifics of how I've done so personally, however, on such a public WoW site.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-03 at 05:53 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Tools gonna tool.

Don't act like an ass and you won't be shit on.

This is old news. They've been suspending for offensive language/names since day one of the headstart period. I've never understood why people are so shocked/appalled either, seeing as Blizzard has the same policy (although not as strictly enforced).

I'm actually more surprised that it's only 23 accounts suspended.

Please use the following for ALL ban discussion: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ban-discussion

-- Fencers