Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling Hard? - I must be doing something wrong..

So I started playing Guild Wars 2 and its pretty awesome.. but for some reason.. in every single leveling zone I never finish them at the level I'm suppose to..

For example I just finished Lornar's Pass and it states its a level 33 - 40 zone. I finished it at 37.. and my next storyline quest is at 41.

I finish all areas 100% and do every event that I see while questing but I'm never up to par for the next questing area...

Am I missing something? help q_q?

Deleted
    Do you collect / craft ? You'll probably get 20% of your experience from crafting and collecting. You could also go do some RvR which is quite good xp, but go away from main battle, unless they are close to finish (like a 10% hp gate/wall on attack).

You can get xp from a low lvl zone even if it's a little less optimal, pretty much anything below lvl 37 that you did'nt do is worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just unlucky with your random events I'd say. Just go find another 30-40 zone and partake it in until like 41.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Deleted
    Agree GW2 is bit.. strange in leveling dept.

If you are 37lvl check Harathi Hinterlands (35-45) or Fields of Ruin (30-40).

You are not "supposed" to enter an area at the minimum level it shows you and exit it with its maximum level. That's all that bad influence from WoW. In GW2 you are supposed to do more than one zone for your level; the level range it shows is rather an estimate level YOU should have for the area. Also, explore and complete maps, gather materials and craft, do events you come by, do story quests.

It plays out really well if you compete in the game and don't only do what you must. I hear many of the first 80s did the last ~10 levels with crafting only.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2012-09-04 at 07:34 AM.

You might notice that zone levels begin to overlap later on (30-40, 35-45, etc). That's most likely intentional, as a zone is probably not supposed to take you from its minimum level to its maximum level. It would also depend on the number of dynamic events you encounter. I've never completed a zone and not had another zone to go to of an appropriate level (which is not to say that I was the minimum level of said zone).

There's also crafting, which gives you quite a bit of experience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    In GW2 you are supposed to do more than one zone for your level; the level range it shows is rather an estimate level YOU should have for the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    a zone is probably not supposed to take you from its minimum level to its maximum level.
    These kitties know what's up.

Just head to another zone that's appropriate for your level and enjoy the new content, as opposed to running around hoping to see events you've already done before.

Yeah leveling in GW2 is far less structured than other MMO's. You really have to go out looking for your xp, it's not about 'completing all the quests' it's just about exploring and taking part in zones designed for your level.

I have seen people say that they don't want to have to 'grind dynamic events' over and over to level up. I personally I enjoyed doing the same dynamic events more than once and so found I was generally over levelled for everything.

One of the things I really like about this game is I don't feel like I have to rush to max level before I start doing anything.

WvW is fun at any level, and even the level 30 dungeon is pretty challenging (especially in explorable mode).

Leveling's only hard if you make it hard- just explore and play the game and you'll level in no time.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are doing something wrong, levelling s not hard, its just tedious, even if you complete a level 37-44 zone just go do a level 10 zone or a level 1 or a level 25 its all the same exp.

Or get a cash shop item to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    You are doing something wrong, levelling s not hard, its just tedious, even if you complete a level 37-44 zone just go do a level 10 zone or a level 1 or a level 25 its all the same exp.
    The xp is significantly less if you level in a zone far lower than yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezera View Post
    The xp is significantly less if you level in a zone far lower than yourself.
    I highly doubt that tbh. Why downscale if your going to significantly reduce the exp, the differenot massivly obvious and as such doing a levle 1 zone is actually a good wayce is n to gain exp.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-09-04 at 08:02 AM.

Deleted
    Actually i think zones work as intended, and you're not doing anything "wrong".
    For example, i was in your same situation yesterday, when exploring around i found a cave, i followed through, i killed ettins, lizards and oozes, found a skill point challenge, a field of strawberries and lot of iron/silver ores, a vista and a cute little seaside village with its floating castle!
    That got me near the level reccomended for my PS, so i crafted something, and et voilà.
    When i'm behind some level i just look around, and usally adventures come to me by themselves.

Deleted
    I've never run into this problem. Infact, so far i've had "too much" XP in each zone, and I only do normal leveling and gathering, no PvP in that.

Do you always stick around for a little while after each DE? A large number (the majority from my experience) of events have follow ups, but I still see the majority of people just running off after getting their medal, not seldom leaving me by myself with the follow up.

Granted, I do believe that a substantial amount of my XP so far is from gathering, as I go for every node that pops up on my map, which also often takes me back to areas of a zone where I have already been before, so that I do more events there, same ones that I did before, or others that i've missed.

I highly doubt that tbh. Why downscale if your going to significantly reduce the exp, the differenot massivly obvious and as such doing a levle 1 zone is actually a good wayce is n to gain exp.
    The xp is downscaled massively if you go do a lvl 10 zone with a 40+ character for example. Tried it myself.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Take a break from lvling and do some crafting or WvW. Esp. the latter is a whole lot of fun and can potentially boost your lvl in topspeed. It all depends on your mates, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    The xp is downscaled massively if you go do a lvl 10 zone with a 40+ character for example. Tried it myself.
    Well I havent gotten that high, I was told that all content would give you experience that was good for you level, to massively reduce exp makes it sound like old content is completely inefficient way to level. Sucks a little.

Deleted
    Well I havent gotten that high, I was told that all content would give you experience that was good for you level, to massively reduce exp makes it sound like old content is completely inefficient way to level. Sucks a little.
    I'm pretty sure that what's happening is that around level 30-ish, the leveling curve flattens out (I'm sure you've heard this too), at which point it will take as much XP to level as it will later on. So say for example it takes 300k XP to level 34-35, it'll take 300k XP to level 76-77. With me so far?

That also means that the leveling curve pre-30's isn't flat, as in it requires less XP to level. Say level 4-5 takes 40k XP. So to balance that, content in that area is balanced for that level, meaning for example filling a heart might give you 8k XP. That's about 20% of a level at level 4, but going back as a level 34, that'd be ~2.6% of a level. Of course this isn't present in 30+ areas, as the XP given there is pretty much equal to that given in any higher area, but for the starting zones this'd make sense.

Disclaimer: All numbers in this post is purely hypothetical. Furthermore, this is only a theory. Nothing in this should be taken as fact until proven so by rigorous testing.

I was disappointed with that myself. However, one thing that is key to note is that I noticed that Karma reduction was no where near as severe as xp. This is quite a good way of doing it as it encourages you to progress forward in zones when leveling but once you are level 80 and xp takes a back seat you get a bit more freedom to move around without feeling like your losing out.

At the moment I am enjoying just thinking up adventures like 'Journey from Lions Arch to Orr on foot'. It's exceedingly fun just doing what you encounter on the way.