SaveMERP, a petition

As some of you might have heard, the most ambitious Skyrim mod just received a C&D letter from Warner Bros. Entertainment.

The only logic I can see behind WB's decision to send a Cease and Desist letter to a non-profit, volunteer-operated project with no threat to their finances would be a well-founded fear of the product they are sending out. So if anything, we should be petitioning WB to make better games so that these people don't have to.

Anyway, please do us all a favor and sign this petition. Don't let volunteers and their immense creativity get squashed by corporate greed.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...home_multiline

More info can be found here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/merp-middl...t/news/merp-cd

I am very sorry if this has been posted before, but I could not find it anywhere. I didn't want to post this in the Skyrim thread because it concerns a mod team and their work, not Skyrim. If a mod thinks otherwise, they can add this post to that topic or tell me to do it myself.

Deleted
    I'm all for sticking it to the man but a Skyrim mod vs WB? I wish your cause good luck friend.

They've taken up a lawyer and are looking for ways to communicate a solution. It helps if there is a demonstrable public backing to their cause. I know it's a tough fight but it's worth a shot.

Except Warner Brothers currently owns the rights to games created within Middle Earth, including owning the company that runs Lord of the Rings Online.

Any visual representation of said game could hinder the economic value of the property. And since this seems to be a mod and not a stand alone game, would it require the full game of Skyrim to function? If so, someone is making money off of it who isn't the legal holder of the rights for video games.

As awesome and fun as this sounds, the law is not on their side.
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

I signed it, hope they can work this out.