Page 1 of 3
LastLast

ArenaNet Employees In Game

Not sure if there is already a thread about this or something similar, but I came back to Hoelbrak on Darkhaven to do some crafting last night and seen something I've not seen before. It was a level 20 Norn Guardian named Snowcrash with the Anet red castle next to his name in a guild called ArenaNet. At first I just said, "Oh that's cool, an Anet employee is playing on his Guardian." Gave him a /wave and got a /cheer in return. I then was like I wonder who it was. Quick google search later, its Chris Whiteside, the lead producer of GW2. I just thought it was incredibly cool that he was just hanging out playing on his toon with the rest of us, and that he wasn't like level 80 with super amazing armor. Sent him a whisper in game and he actually replied to me saying thanks.

Not sure if ya'll have met any other employees in game or have even quested with them, but I just think its kinda cool. Especially because I've never personally seen this kind of interaction in other games. I mean let alone taking the time out to reply to a whisper or even be able to whisper him at all. My buddy added him to his friends list lol.

http://imgur.com/9SX9N.jpg

http://imgur.com/7XxCH.jpg

Very cool. Should've asked him why ANet employees took all the good names already :P

That's really cool.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by joecool4433 View Post
    Not sure if there is already a thread about this or something similar, but I came back to Hoelbrak on Darkhaven to do some crafting last night and seen something I've not seen before. It was a level 20 Norn Guardian named Snowcrash with the Anet red castle next to his name in a guild called ArenaNet. At first I just said, "Oh that's cool, an Anet employee is playing on his Guardian." Gave him a /wave and got a /cheer in return. I then was like I wonder who it was. Quick google search later, its Chris Whiteside, the lead producer of GW2. I just thought it was incredibly cool that he was just hanging out playing on his toon with the rest of us, and that he wasn't like level 80 with super amazing armor. Sent him a whisper in game and he actually replied to me saying thanks.

Not sure if ya'll have met any other employees in game or have even quested with them, but I just think its kinda cool. Especially because I've never personally seen this kind of interaction in other games. I mean let alone taking the time out to reply to a whisper or even be able to whisper him at all. My buddy added him to his friends list lol.

http://imgur.com/9SX9N.jpg

http://imgur.com/7XxCH.jpg
    Have you ever seen a GM cheating in an MMORPG? I never have. Not in a way to be insta max lvl and gain awesome gear atleast.

Your view on GM's is wrong I think...they play any game just like any other normal gamer does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Have you ever seen a GM cheating in an MMORPG? I never have. Not in a way to be insta max lvl and gain awesome gear atleast..
    It's happened before, and maybe still does. EvE Online comes to mind.

Have you ever seen a GM cheating in an MMORPG? I never have. Not in a way to be insta max lvl and gain awesome gear atleast.

Your view on GM's is wrong I think...they play any game just like any other normal gamer does.
    I'm pretty sure the op was talking about he was surprised to see game developers and lead designers actually playing the game not in game community managers who's job it is to deal with the community. The head game designer isn't obligated to play the game or interact with other players op thinks its neat that he is doing it, seemingly of his own volition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
    I'm pretty sure the op was talking about he was surprised to see game developers and lead designers actually playing the game
    That's not particularly surprising, either.

The only difference here is that Arena Net employees aren't ashamed to admit they do play the game in their free time, instead of making the false claims that they're always working.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-04 at 03:15 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Whoa whoa whoa, back the jump-to-conclusions truck up for a minute. Never said that at all. And as a matter of fact, I have seen the effects of GM power in game (EVE Online's T20 scandal), but that's beside the point. Usually GM's have their own personal characters that you don't even know they are a GM or an employee of the company just by looking at them. Glad that was all you took away from my posting.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post

The only difference here is that Arena Net employees aren't ashamed to admit they do play the game in their free time, instead of making the false claims that they're always working.
    I doubt he uses that to play. Just a presence IMO. If they do have real characters, I highly doubt they have the ANet symbol near their name, unless it's sPvP which they did. I'd want them to blend and play normally, as when people see the symbol they go a little derp. The best way to test content and find stuff is to be a normal player and not draw attention, imho.

Snowcrash...in Hoelbrek...tehe.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post

Nah, the bigger difference is the fact that ArenaNet employees actively advertise their status as an ANet employee with the guild and icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

GMs can just type in an item code and have the gear in their mail box or bags and the general population would be none the wiser.

Hell after 5 years in development of which 2 years the game wa s probably playable it wouldn't be that far of a stretch to see a gm at 80 w/ sick ass gear.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    I doubt he uses that to play. Just a presence IMO. If they do have real characters, I highly doubt they have the ANet symbol near their name, unless it's sPvP which they did. I'd want them to blend and play normally, as when people see the symbol they go a little derp. The best way to test content and find stuff is to be a normal player and not draw attention, imho.

Snowcrash...in Hoelbrek...tehe.
    I saw an ANet employee named Orange (haven't tried to figure out who it was) out in Gendarran Fields numerous times on Thursday night. They were going through events and hearts and just exploring right along side everyone else. So I'd say it was a real character with the ANet symbol by their name.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    I saw an ANet employee named Orange (haven't tried to figure out who it was) out in Gendarran Fields numerous times on Thursday night. They were going through events and hearts and just exploring right along side everyone else. So I'd say it was a real character with the ANet symbol by their name.
    Probably drew attention. Who knows. Maybe they have both. Gendarran...darn you, pirate puzzle! Always killing me...

Deleted
    Wow that's really cool!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
    I'm pretty sure the op was talking about he was surprised to see game developers and lead designers actually playing the game not in game community managers who's job it is to deal with the community. The head game designer isn't obligated to play the game or interact with other players op thinks its neat that he is doing it, seemingly of his own volition.
    I'm sure many developpers play WoW aswell, they just don't run along with a GM tag.

A-net is so dedicated to their playerbase, their devs fail at spelling just like the rest of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    GMs can just type in an item code and have the gear in their mail box or bags and the general population would be none the wiser.
    I doubt they would do that.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tinnermans View Post
    It's happened before, and maybe still does. EvE Online comes to mind.
    I think I can match that. The executive producer of Rift Scott Hartsman made an account here on MMO-C to interact with gamers as well as the lead CM for the game. I think it's great PR when game companies do this. People didn't believe him so he tweeted that it was in fact him.

https://twitter.com/hartsman/statuse...30908347580416

I think it's just fine they advertise that they are devs with the Anet symbol in game. They don't seem to be giving themselves any unfair advantages. I mean they did make the game let them be proud of their success.

Deleted
    I would assume that most of the devs have their own personal accounts as well, apart from the ones tied to ArenaNet.
    Sometimes you just want to be "any guy just playing the game", but as they are human too (for real!), it's probably quite awesome to login every now and then and be treated as a celeb as well.