Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So how do you make gold now? [Auction House]

I came after work when the madness cooled down, people are already sitting on 20+ gold, whereas I have 80 silver (lvl 60), any chance for me to do something? I can maybe invest gems into something if it helps. So what do you do now at the Trading Post?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncano View Post
    I came after work when the madness cooled down, people are already sitting on 20+ gold, whereas I have 80 silver (lvl 60), any chance for me to do something? I can maybe invest gems into something if it helps. So what do you do now at the Trading Post?
    I have not heard of anyone with twenty plus gold yet but my main suggestion would be to gather mats in your "collectibles" and wait for the Trading Post to come up again. Vendors are there pretty much just for trash trophies, selling-wise. The way to make good coin, outside of potential exploits, is through the TP.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-09-04 at 06:39 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I made around 1g20s today from selling mats. Coral Tentacles and some raw gems sell for around 4s/piece, and i had exess mithril which i sold for good profit.

Deleted
    It's all common sense stuff really and it's basically in almost identical ways to any other MMO out there. There's no reason you can't make as much gold as anyone who was online as soon as the TP came up, if anything, the prices now to me seem higher than they were this morning, since the people who immediately dumped all their mats on the TP are running out.

- Simplest way is just to farm. Mat prices are pretty good at the moment, check which mats are selling for the best prices and go out and farm them. You can tag DE's as you farm which means you get a bit of exp/silver and most importantly, karma, as you go.

- Buy low, sell high. Put in buy orders at low prices and sell them higher. I'm not going to list the things I've been doing this with because well, it's all one AH and people are going to want to keep some details to themselves, selfish, sorry, but if you spend a bit of time you can make money this way no problem.

- Gambling - buying things you don't know if they're going to be worth more or not.... like buying unidentified dyes, trophy bags etc. I haven't done a spreadsheet to calculate the average gain you'd need to make per TP cost but I do plan to this week. A really good dye can go for 2g+, an unidentified dye currently sits at 7s, a really crap dye only goes for a few copper....... risky strategy if you're only purchasing a few, but eventually the odds will pay off if you've got enough to invest.

- Crafting. Don't underestimate the value of crafting but check the prices before making something. Some of the greens I've been making can net me a tidy profit, as have bags and some cooking things.

- Speculate in the gem market, buy gems if you think the prices are low, ready to sell at a later date, you're going to have to use a bit of savvy to pull this off though and is possibly the most risky venture.

- Get to know what level items will salvage into what type of goods so you can make an accurate assessment of whether you should salvage, vendor or TP the items. A lot of blues/greens are literally, 1c above vendor price on the TP at the moment (netting the bright sparks that are selling them a loss after the listing fee). Sell smart. Don't just shove everything up at the same price as someone else, you could be losing money. You could make more money salvaging that item for a mat, and you could even make more money on some items at the moment by vendoring them. Don't just dump everything and hope for the best. Remember that you're in this game for the long-haul (I assume), you could be selling those greens for double the price next week once everyone has dumped their supplies..... so think long-term, don't panic sell.

And don't forget if you find yourself short of gold that completing maps gives nice rewards, items that are not soulbound as well as usually 40x a crafting mat, this can be especially nice on the higher level zones.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2012-09-05 at 06:56 AM.

I make it of stupid players. Normally trading stuff from alliance to horde. Example is say an epic on horde AH costs 3k to buy but its selling for 18k on ally AH i would buy it out trade it other sell and profit. I normally do this with mounts/pets also as you can have huge gains then.

I also have a few guilds level 25 that are "levelling guilds" ofc they have Guild repairs turned off and no one has access to the bank. I collect the money each week.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Domiku View Post
    I make it of stupid players. Normally trading stuff from alliance to horde. Example is say an epic on horde AH costs 3k to buy but its selling for 18k on ally AH i would buy it out trade it other sell and profit. I normally do this with mounts/pets also as you can have huge gains then.

I also have a few guilds level 25 that are "levelling guilds" ofc they have Guild repairs turned off and no one has access to the bank. I collect the money each week.
    This is the GW2 forums and you may have confused it for WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    - If you have karma and you want gold, buy cooking mats in bulk and sell them.
    It doesn't work any more, that's what I was preparing for, it only worked for first couple of hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Until the TP is stable and the market settles you can make some major dough on even the basic mats. The other day Copper Ore was going for as much as 21c each. Considering your collectibles stack to 250? You can make a decent amount of coin.

You sir might want to check which forum you are in before posting.

10+ Year Old Account
    It should probably also be mentioned, again, that GW2's TP is "global." So there is a much bigger potential market for your goods than you find in games where the AH, GTN, what have you, is just for that server. Or did they take WoW's global at some point?

Deleted
    It doesn't work any more, that's what I was preparing for, it only worked for first couple of hours.
    Ah really? It was working this morning... well, that's awkward. I'll see if I can find another way of turning karma into gold (legitimately, i know there's been a few exploits!)

Deleted

Wrong Forum.

I haven't made much at all so far :-\ but then again that's because I salvage everything so the only money I'm making is from events and hearts Gonna start selling greens from here on out I'd say.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does it not work? Were you trying to sell the mats directly to a Vendor or through the Trading Post? If I recall correctly, and I may not, the "exploit" was how much the vendor would pay for it. Or can we not put stuff bought with karma on the TP? Thought I could but I was drooling over the buy offers at the time so my memory may not be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    How does it not work? Were you trying to sell the mats directly to a Vendor or through the Trading Post? If I recall correctly, and I may not, the "exploit" was how much the vendor would pay for it. Or can we not put stuff bought with karma on the TP? Thought I could but I was drooling over the buy offers at the time so my memory may not be clear.
    A guildie commented that cooking mats were soulbound now, but I can't attest to the veracity of that.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    A guildie commented that cooking mats were soulbound now, but I can't attest to the veracity of that.
    Exactly. I was gonna sell peaches, I even travelled to that 70 zone as level 55 to get ahold of 500 peaches.

I sell Gems. Whatever.

I don't.

Can u spar sum gold for a poor lvl80 plz?

---------- Post added 2012-09-04 at 03:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    And don't forget if you find yourself short of gold that completing maps gives nice rewards, items that are not soulbound as well as usually 40x a crafting mat, this can be especially nice on the higher level zones.
    protip (ATTENTION MY FELLOW COMPLETIONISTS MOST OF ALL) that I didn't learn until ~level 60... zone completion rewards scale, so save 1 POI/Renown heart/WP and leave the zone at 99% to come back and finish it once you hit 80.

---------- Post added 2012-09-04 at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    I hope that's account-bound and not soulbound... that would suck.

Made 3 gold so far just from questing and selling greens, and that's after I've bought the first 2 tomes for traits as well. I'm happy w/ that.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way. If I didn't use my mats for crafting I imagine I could make a fair bit there. Selling armor, weapons, and trinkets on the TP is mostly a fruitless exercise at the moment as it seems everyone is putting those items at just 1cp above cost. Which in reality they are losing money compared to if they just vendor it due to the trade post posting costs.

Ah, I had some fun doubling my 1,5g by buying low, selling high. A certain material was being sold for 51-55 and bought for 65-70. Good times.