Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    ksuen

and
    chars

I would guess it would be pronounced something close to Jew-en with only a soft 'j' sound (Shew-en). It's impossible to type what I mean but imagine an "Sh" sound but replace the S with a Z.

But that won't stop everyone from saying Zu-en.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2012-09-05 at 12:01 AM.

Yeah, Mandarin <x> is a /ɕ/ sound where English <sh> is /ʃ/, so telling people to say "shwen" isn't going to be right but about the best you can do.

<- Is part Chinese.

It's pronounced like Shoo-wen. Just say it fast enough and you'll be able to get it xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Since Blizzard is an American company, I assume that the phonetics of their names and places use the English alphabet as a reference point for pronunciation.

By a person who speaks english, the name would be pronounced "Zoo-ehn"

However, given that the name and theme of the entire expansion is based on Chinese aesthetics, history, names, and places, it is very well possible that the phonetically correct pronunciation is using Mandarin, which I would assume (since I do not by any means know the language's phonetics) would be "Shu-ehn".

Those are my two cents, could be one or the other, depending on which dialect they chose.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Other posters have already pointed out it's pronounced Shoo-en.

In transliteration of Chinese to the western alphabet, X is used for a sound that is close to "sh" in English. From Wikipedia:

x [ɕ] she No equivalent in English. Like she, with the lips spread and the tip of your tongue curled downwards and stuck to the back of teeth when you say ee. The sequence "xi" is the same as the Japanese pronunciation of し(シ) shi.

Someone mentioned it might be pronounced "Hoo-en". That might have been the case if it was Native American (e.g. Aztec) in origin, not Chinese.

There is no such a syllable as Xuen in Chinese Pinyin. So you can pronounce whatever you like.

Or you can perceive Xuen as two syllables, xu+en。

En is similar to en in "end".

However Xu has no equivalent in English. X is a little close to English "sh" [ʃ]. And u the vowel is [y].As I remember French has this vowel.
    Last edited by otarma; 2012-09-05 at 01:38 AM.

Looking through the comments shows that according to proper Chinese pronunciation it should be "Shu-EN". However, I highly doubt Blizzard bother having it pronounced accurately, and so you can almost certainly count on it being pronounced "ZOO-en" in any voice-acting they should do.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol I thought it was pronouced X-un lol
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by InDecisive View Post
    Looking through the comments shows that according to proper Chinese pronunciation it should be "Shu-EN". However, I highly doubt Blizzard bother having it pronounced accurately, and so you can almost certainly count on it being pronounced "ZOO-en" in any voice-acting they should do.
    You do know they localized the entire game, including vocals, for China, right?

Hmm it isn't even correct pinyin.

If you were to pronounce it as pinyin you would say "shoe-a-en"

clickie on the male Pandaren NPCs wandering around and they say "Xuen watch over you"

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would've pronounced it something along the lines of Zooin.

Shoo-en. Hmm.

My guess is that the Xuen is 玄 in Chinese. I know the correct Pinyin should be Xuan, but Xuen should be better for non-Chinese speakers to make a similar pronunciation. And 玄 refers to the Northern saint in Chinese which makes sense (though in Chinese mythology it should be a creature combined of turtle and snake rather than a tiger).

Shoe-en or Shoe-wen should be close in pronunciation.

Quote Originally Posted by InDecisive View Post
    However, I highly doubt Blizzard bother having it pronounced accurately
    You highly doubt a company that earns millions a month from subscriptions alone and has a player-base spread across the entire world would skimp on a grand or two to have an eastern scholar double check the names of things in their expansion that is focused entirely in a Chinese setting?

Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Xuen is the sort of word that's difficult to learn but easy to master.

It's basically pronounced shoe-en, with a stronger emphasis on the EN rather than the SHOE. Properly pronounce it comes out as (shoo - EN)

This exact explanation was posted earlier, but explaining it in a mildly different way to see if it helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shoo-en.

Lets just call him Shawn.

I personally pronounce it as Zoo-en as well

Shjuen or something like that. X is read like something between of "sh" and "j" in chinese.