Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Megathread] Kickstarters (Post all kickstarters here)

http://www.playforgewar.com/
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/166522941/forge

Forge is a indie mmo third person PvP game.

Their video will explain what it is better than what I can do:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...get/video.html

http://www.playforgewar.com/front-pa...-introduction/
    Years of trying every new MMO to come on the market, diving into PvP as quickly as the game would allow, only lead to years of disappointment. We’re not just game developers, we’re gamers as well. While the games were technical marvels and showed proof of the dedication and professionalism of some of our closest friends, something was missing.

Looking over the forums of today’s most popular MMO titles reveals that due to the mechanics that have crossed over from the PvE side of the MMO template, PvP in these titles is easily confused with work. While our hats go off to the developers at ArenaNet for doing so many things right with Guild Wars, there still has yet to be a title released that has the strategy of MMO combat, the ease of access and low time requirements of a ‘classic’ FPS, and the reliance on player skill as the predominant factor in either victory or defeat.

We love MMOs for what they’re good at. We love the feel of a stealth class when done right. We love the skill required in kiting one or more opponents across an open area with a ranged class. We love them for the way that different classes can bring completely different gameplay to the player depending on which class they chose.

Unfortunately, we play them for PvP as the ‘best of what’s available’, not the best they can be. Endless grinds. Massive power gaps between new players and veterans based on the stats on their gear. There is no skill involved in two players performing the same attack and one hitting for 20%-30% less than the other. They’ve become so focused on their reward systems that they’ve lost the instant in and out accessibility of classic FPS games. The price they pay for being attached to massive PvE experiences comes through with each and every title.

FPS games on the other hand are stuck in the rut of simplistic gameplay. While they solve nearly every issue mentioned for MMO titles, they fail to bring the same combat experience that we’ve come to crave. There is no concept of interrupt. Stuns are limited to gimmick weapons if they exist at all. Resource management is nearly non-existent. The only thought you have is kill, kill, kill. The TTK, Time-To-Kill, is almost always extremely short. Fights become gib fests, not strategic battles between rivals.

It became apparent that to get the title we wanted to play, one we know we’re not alone in wanting to play, we needed to build the game we wanted. Our key goals:

• Class based
    • MMO style abilities
    • Even playing field for all players
    • Skill is the only determining factor in victory or defeat
    • Zero Grind
    • Meaningful progression and customization without violating any of the above

There is much more under the hood we feel we’ve learned from more than a century of combined game development experience and almost as much time spent playing these titles as well, but these are the key facets behind Forge that make it the amazing title that it is.

All of this is built on the Unreal Engine 3 for amazing visuals and rock solid game experiences, realized in a world rich with its own lore and history. While we have a grand vision for where Forge will take all of us, we’re starting off with the purest version of Forge we can provide to let you, and us, play the game we’ve all been waiting for.
    Totalbiscuit did a video on the game together with one of the developers:

It's now also on Steam Greenlight!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=91594665

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 02:47 PM ----------

Am I the only one looking forward to this game o.0?

Deleted

Sui Generis - kickstarter.

Since kickstarters are becoming more and more common, it's time to consolidate the discussion into one easy thread. Since these kickstarter games tend to be fairly small and obscure, their individual threads eventually get lost in the shuffle of more frequented posted-in topics. Having a single thread will end up helping you, the community, keep track of any kickstarters that may strike your fancy, and us, the moderation team, keep these forums lean and streamlined.

Thanks!
    -sj

-----------------------------

Sui Generis

An interesting RPG which is kinda struggling on kickstarter atm.. open world with an awesome looking combat system which hopefully get's enough backers.

Last edited by Sj; 2012-11-17 at 11:08 PM.

Deleted
    the combat... looks like the ones in sumotori dreams

Deleted
    Hmm, it does look good, but their kickstarter goal is quite ambitious I think.

I might keep an eye on this.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not really impressed by any of this.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    The combat looks amusing, though it looks more like some ragdolls flailing around rather than any kind of disciplined fighting. The game itself sounds boring.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a tech demo rather than a game.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Deleted
    its footage or pre-alpha combat. The point of kickstarter is so you can make the game.. most things on the site are pretty much tech demo's.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, that's not the point of Kickstarter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    No, that's not the point of Kickstarter.
    yes the point of kickstarter isnt to make games by getting support from people who actually want these games made.. youre totally correct.

"Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects. Everything from films, games, and music to art, design, and technology. Kickstarter is full of ambitious, innovative, and imaginative projects that are brought to life through the direct support of others."
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2012-11-07 at 12:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Kickstarter is - a tool to support the devs you know and care about, when they decide to make a game, that is not gonna get published by major companies, due to the current state of the video game market and other bullshit.

What Kickstarter is not - a platform for indie devs, who have no finished projects to back them up, to make easy money.

Deleted
    What Kickstarter is - a tool to support the devs you know and care about, when they decide to make a game, that is not gonna get published by major companies, due to the current state of the video game market and other bullshit.

What Kickstarter is not - a platform for indie devs, who have no finished projects to back them up, to make easy money.
    the quote is taken directly from kickstarters website.

"Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects. Everything from films, games, and music to art, design, and technology. Kickstarter is full of ambitious, innovative, and imaginative projects that are brought to life through the direct support of others."

its about getting the money to start projects just as much as it is to get them finished. It doesnt matter if youre some seasoned developer or just starting out, its about the community being interested in your project and getting enough funding for it to happen.
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2012-11-07 at 01:18 PM.

No sorry you are wrong, Kickstarters is to fund projects. Its a risk you take as an investor. The dev has no requirement to finish the game after they have started a kickstarter project.

Heh, the combat looks kind of fun, even though I can see it being fiddly and glitchy.

May be worth keeping an eye on.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Don't think you've been on Kickstarter enough.

OT: I don't get it, tbh. What's going on with that red dot? What am I missing? Is he clicking the areas where he wants his sword to swing...? What makes him dodge and everything? Is that automatic? They don't explain it, even in that long 10 minute video. I feel like they tried this too early, there's nothing really to say about the game right now. They've got the foundations down, but no content, no story, no reason to make us want to play other than a different style. And I feel like people will get tired of spending 2-3 minutes waving their sword around each enemy just to kill one guy.

I do wanna like it and I hope they succeed, I just don't see why I should.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    i think the red circle is similar to a cross hair and its the direction in which you swing the weapon / area of attack / parry attempt.. i think it needs alot of tweaking as it really does just look like string puppets sword fighting at times. The idea is there and hopefully with more updates before the time run's out will explain things a bit better.

The combat looks a bit comical at times, but it mostly very well made. I like that they've taken a more realistic approach to how real combat actually looks & behaves, there are sequences in that YouTube link OP posted that really mimicked a medieval duel very well. But I'm not sure if that's good enough to warrant a purchase though (depends on the rest of the game).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

It's gained like 7k in the last 12 hours or so. Might actually hit the goal...
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onaturi View Post
    the combat... looks like the ones in sumotori dreams
    Haha, totally, don't see why they'd give the protagonist a sword either, a heavy mace would do better...
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

These people need to get together with whoever is making Baldur's Gate 3 and join forces to create something amazing. The combat as it is, isn't my thing. But the graphics and physics combined with the gameplay of Baldur's Gate could be something exceptional.