Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

OMG if only I had known this sooner - practical tips for starters

Ok, so the pre-launch has been going for 3 days now and you've all had some experience with the game and made some mistakes others need not repeat.

So what tips and cues can you share with your fellow gamers that might improve their gaming experience?

I'll start with:

1. Purchase your gathering items asap. That's a pick, an axe and a sickle that only cost a few copper and allow you to loot resource nodes.

2. There's an option "melee targeting assistance" or similar that prohibits you from walking through enemies. It might be better to turn it off, depending on your preference.

3. Type in "/wiki" to open the GW2 wiki.

4. When playing on a foreign client you can instantly translate any game-text into English by pressing the right Ctrl button.

5. You can edit your own music into the game and have it play during different times as explained here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c..._music_in_gw2/
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2012-08-30 at 11:42 AM.

Thank you for this thread and I appreciate all kind of information for starters. I'm planning to buy the game as soon as I get my new laptop.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-08-28 at 02:31 PM.

On topic sort of...is there an option to make a skill unable to be used if you're out of range?

dont spaz out at multiple events going on at the same time. stay with the one your on. most of the time youve moved to far over and are picking up someone elses events.. early on just do the heart quests they will trigger the events repeatedly so that you wont miss anything. (this can lead to alot of confusion as your running from event to event not knowing what or why unless your doing the heart quests or personal storyline)

Press the Cogwheel top right corner of your inventory

Press Deposit all collectibles to put all crafting materials into the bank. (which later can be accessed from the crafting UI from a workstation)

Press hide/show bags to make the inventory window into one big bag insted of seperate bags

Also, finish a zone 100% to get nice masterwork (green) loot and a black lion key. (all hearts, points of interrest, vistas and waypoints)
    Last edited by glowpipe; 2012-08-28 at 02:36 PM.

Deleted
    Don't delete your first character without first sending your backpack,goggles to your new char :'( .. I lost my backpack ...

Deleted
    After you finish a quest, go to the guy and check for gear upgrades, they usually sell great stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    After you finish a quest, go to the guy and check for gear upgrades, they usually sell great stuff
    wooo I didn't know this .. thanks

Deleted
    Also be sure to save 10 silver for when you hit level 11, as you have to buy access to your traits

Deleted
    SPVP:

1.Don't buy violet weapons from vendor in the Mists, it has no dps (its probably for WvWvW). Buy exotic orange weapons.

2. Trebuchet on Battle of Kyhlo is op, it deals 9-11k aoe dmg and you can rush it from start and shoot before enemies take first base (windmill/mansion).

3. Cannon on beach map can be used, you just need to carry cannonballs from nearby ship. It deals 5k aoe dmg and you can shoot both beach and docks with it )

Never run away once you've completed a Dynamic Event. Try to talk to the NPC's around you are try to follow any of the conversations NPC's may have. There may just be one or more events coming up within a minute or 2.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Deleted
    The mails u receive when u complete a heart are not just mails....take the money inside

10+ Year Old Account
    is there a way to re-arrange skills to 1-5 buttons ?

If you see a resource node don't rush to it only you can mine it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    is there a way to re-arrange skills to 1-5 buttons ?
    Re arrange?
    U mean the UI or the keybinding?
    Dont think u can move the UI now but u can rebind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziaja View Post
    1.Don't buy violet weapons from vendor in the Mists, it has no dps (its probably for WvWvW). Buy exotic orange weapons.
    It's more likely for theorycrafting since they have no damage range (135-135 for example).

Also, actually looking at mobs gives you a great indication of whether or not they're doing some grand attack that you need to dodge.

- you can join the Heart of the Mist by going in Hero - PvP - click Heart of the Mist icon in the top left
    - You can travel to every Capitals by going to Lion's Arch (take the Asura Portal in any Capital)
    - you have the option "sell junk" in your bags (in the bottom right), it will automatically sell all useless non-salvageable crap.
    - Keybind your weapon swap (as a matter of fact, I suggest to keybind everything)
    - I suggest to turn ON auto loot in the options (you just spam "F" when you zerg instead of looting every corpse)
    - You can adjust your mouse turning speed with the slider in the options.
    - EXPLORE EVERYTHING. I found an awesome jumping puzzle yesterday in Lion's Arch. A dead pirate was messing with me all the time.

#1 ability is your auto-attack, so you don't need to keep spamming it like I did...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
    dont spaz out at multiple events going on at the same time. stay with the one your on. most of the time youve moved to far over and are picking up someone elses events..
    Bad advice. There's no such thing as "someone else's events" in this game, for one.

For another, if you've already done a whole bunch of crap for the event you're already on, you can jump over to the other event to work on that one, and get gold participation for both.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    #1 ability is your auto-attack, so you don't need to keep spamming it like I did...
    All of your abilities can be made to auto-cast by clicking on them with ctrl + mouse 2.