Page 24 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reason he can be put into play with Kaalia is because the declare attackers step has already taken place before Kaalia's effect triggers. Thus, anyone put into play with her isn't considered "attacking", for things that proc off "when this creature attacks", because that phrase technically means "when this creature is declared as an attacker". That said, you can still block him, but goddamn that first strike/deathtouch combo. Actually, even for a mythic, I'm starting to think that's majorly overpowered.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-04-09 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Actually, even for a mythic, I'm starting to think that's majorly overpowered.
    Only it's only a 4 drop, too.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It reminds me of Lim-dul's paladin it's better but still has the same concept which I have always loved that card. I had to get 1 when Alliance first came out.

So this card is pretty crazy. Yes, it makes sense in white.

The reason he can be put into play with Kaalia is because the declare attackers step has already taken place before Kaalia's effect triggers. Thus, anyone put into play with her isn't considered "attacking", for things that proc off "when this creature attacks", because that phrase technically means "when this creature is declared as an attacker". That said, you can still block him, but goddamn that first strike/deathtouch combo. Actually, even for a mythic, I'm starting to think that's majorly overpowered.
    The reason it works isn't because he has to be declared as an attacker, but because the ability activates when he isn't blocked.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    The reason it works isn't because he has to be declared as an attacker, but because the ability activates when he isn't blocked.
    I know. The first and second half of that were disjointed. The reason he's allowed to be put into play with her is because declare attackers has already happened, and all "when x attacks" effects, or in this case "can only attack" effects, trigger when you declare attackers. You already have, so it's legal for him to be attacking while Kaalia is too.

And I don't see that card being very white. All white destruction is either mass effect like Wrath of God, defensive in nature like Avenging Arrow, or any sacrificing would be combat related like Dispense Justice

Deleted
    hi guys, been a long time for me since I played MTG. It was Urza Block to Time Spiral or something like that. I am considering trying out MTGO, but I am not quite sure whether or not it is worth to try it out. I have about 30€($) left over to fool around, but I don't know how far I can get with it considering I like playing standard and drafting format. I actually don't really know how to start and what to look out for. You get a few cards at the start to play with, but nothing to make a stand in Standard I guess. I read and watched some guides and advice, but nothing really sounded "wise" for me considering I only want to make a few drafts and don't want to spent much money.

I played in a few local tournaments back then so I still remember the rules, although I do not know if anything changed since then. Any changes I need to look out for?
    Does Wizard still use that old DCI number thing? I do remember my DCI number if that is of any help in MTGO (don't know how it works nowadays).
    I would see myself as an average magic player. My DCI ranking was 1650~, back in the days, but I would probably end up having problems today since I assume the average skill increased quite a bit. So I would not end up winning many drafts to finance the next one.
    So any advice on how to draft a lot, but without spending horrid amounts of money? Trading cards? Selling cards you drafted?

tl;dr : played MTG a few years back, never played MTGO, wanna try it with 30€($), is it worth it?

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEnergy View Post
    hi guys, been a long time for me since I played MTG. It was Urza Block to Time Spiral or something like that. I am considering trying out MTGO, but I am not quite sure whether or not it is worth to try it out. I have about 30€($) left over to fool around, but I don't know how far I can get with it considering I like playing standard and drafting format. I actually don't really know how to start and what to look out for. You get a few cards at the start to play with, but nothing to make a stand in Standard I guess. I read and watched some guides and advice, but nothing really sounded "wise" for me considering I only want to make a few drafts and don't want to spent much money.

I played in a few local tournaments back then so I still remember the rules, although I do not know if anything changed since then. Any changes I need to look out for?
    Does Wizard still use that old DCI number thing? I do remember my DCI number if that is of any help in MTGO (don't know how it works nowadays).
    I would see myself as an average magic player. My DCI ranking was 1650~, back in the days, but I would probably end up having problems today since I assume the average skill increased quite a bit. So I would not end up winning many drafts to finance the next one.
    So any advice on how to draft a lot, but without spending horrid amounts of money? Trading cards? Selling cards you drafted?

tl;dr : played MTG a few years back, never played MTGO, wanna try it with 30€($), is it worth it?
    When you first make an account you can play 2-3 free booster drafts you don't get to keep the cards but you get a feel of what it is like to play. I will play some drafts on there ever now and then but it cost like 15 U.S dollars so 30 bucks isn't going to get you but about 2 games in. I would just DL the game sign up and play those 3 free booster drafts and see how you like it.

Today's spoilers are pretty meh, but at least the cycle they showed is pretty awesome in limited, especially with how many gates you will be getting in draft and sealed.

And Teysa is alright.

10+ Year Old Account
    The black and blue ones suck. The black one, specifically, because nothing will ever compare to Skinrender. The whole "controlling two gates" is tough, but I'm still a fan of them, tapped or not. Definitely an easy way to get dual lands without paying tones of money. With the requirement to have two gates though, the bonus effects could be a little less underwhelming. The green one is a free Heroes' Reunion.

Teysa is awesome. The spirits are under YOUR control. Her abilities all seem disjointed though. I suppose she's great at attacking and blocking with vigilance, and she never dies in combat. Can't go wrong with that.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-04-10 at 05:33 AM.

Exava is another in the line of good 4cmc creatures that are pretty damn good. Hard to block, comes down swinging, a decent blocker if you need one, and a nice lord effect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEnergy View Post

I would go with Duels of the Planewalkers, you can learn to see what is new without spending too much to see if you want to go further with Magic again.

The black and blue ones suck. The black one, specifically, because nothing will ever compare to Skinrender. The whole "controlling two gates" is tough, but I'm still a fan of them, tapped or not. Definitely an easy way to get dual lands without paying tones of money. With the requirement to have two gates though, the bonus effects could be a little less underwhelming. The green one is a free Heroes' Reunion.
    These are basically made for limited though and their effects will happen quite often. I know I don't quite hate a giant spider with an additional effect and all of them are pretty good for what they are. I know I wouldn't mind killing something off, drawing a card, or even threatening something later in the game. The only one that really won't help you late in the game when in a bind is the green one. 2/4's are usually perfect in limited and them doing something else is just icing.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, what's the story anyway? It's called Dragon's Maze, but there's a bunch of Gates, and gatekeepers. I'm starting to think of Order of the Stick.

So, what's the story anyway? It's called Dragon's Maze, but there's a bunch of Gates, and gatekeepers. I'm starting to think of Order of the Stick.
    The gatekeepers are ones that probably just guard each guild's gate.

As for the actual story, the Maze is basically the entire city itself and the gates are part of it.

---------- Post added 2013-04-10 at 01:16 PM ----------

Lavinia is definitely pretty awesome and quite abuseable with the flash bear and Restoration Angel.

Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-04-10 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Lavinia is definitely pretty awesome and quite abuseable with the flash bear and Restoration Angel.
    Borderlines broken with Venser, the Sojourner.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    People are already buying up Conjurer's Closets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Everything's borderline broken with Venser. When my friend got him out in his deck, it was pretty much game over. He'd just spam Spine of Ish Sah until he got to his ultimate.

---------- Post added 2013-04-10 at 05:16 PM ----------

Holy crap Trostani's Summoner http://www.mtgsalvation.com/dragons-...iler.html#6947

I buffet of spoilers today.

Breaking//Entering is good on either side, too bad I can't put it into my Kaalia EDH.

A pic of Trostani's Summoner, which is pretty decent.

Turn//Burn is decent enough, plus we finally have a burn spell called Burn.

And here we have two cards that will easily bring zombies back from the dead and, in the case of the first card, make black decks even more potent, and it is a cheaper Bob. Varolz makes all creatures that are dead into a pump spell, which is always decent.

Ramp for ALL the players!

This guy might as well say "Everyone goes into topdeck mode at the end of turn."

Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-04-11 at 04:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's two interesting cards

Curiosity for all your creatures http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...1&d=1365692520

I've seen this effect somewhere recently, it's rather strong http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...1&d=1365680923

Here's two interesting cards

Curiosity for all your creatures http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...1&d=1365692520

I've seen this effect somewhere recently, it's rather strong http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...1&d=1365680923
    Mirko Vosk's effect is Mind Funeral.

---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 12:09 AM ----------

Putrefy is back and Voice of Resurgence has to be the best bear ever, a lot of removal out there will cause two tokens to spawn.

Council is reminiscent of the old Azorious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Council does NOT deserve to be a mythic. A 2/4 for 4 that locks out one nonland, noncreature card. Whoopdee-freaking-do.

Council does NOT deserve to be a mythic. A 2/4 for 4 that locks out one nonland, noncreature card. Whoopdee-freaking-do.
    The only reason it probably goes there is because it lowers the same spell for you. If anything it would be a sideboard card for control against the control mirror, naming Sphinx's Revelation, allowing you to draw more cards, then using Resto Angel to reset it, naming another card later could be a strong play.