Page 38 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post

That is true, I forgot about that one. Red definitely doesn't grant trample very often.
    Hmmm. Every mechanic has a color that it gets defined in. But each mechanic also tends to have a "second-best" color. Card draw, for example, is blue, but is second best in green. Trample, well....black? It's hard to tell. Black or red. Remember red had a cycle of beasts back in the day (though, yes, not many had trample). I do know white and blue don't have a lick of it, so it goes to one of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    You have to understand, you can't really just memorize the piles with doomsday. You can memorize the standard one (having led + top in play) that is ideas unbound->LED -> gitaxian probe -> LED -> burning wish, but to improvise on the spot you simply need to play quite often with it so that you can adapt the piles accordingly.

People say that doomsday is a deck where you have two different opponents playing against you
    I can see basic piles rather well while goldfishing, and usually I get the doomsday puzzle scenario's after a while, but I can't imagine playing this deck in a tournament environment without getting a slow play warning. Guess I'll keep goldfishing and testing against my friends (who will hate the deck fairly soon )

It's part of the appeal of the deck. Half the people you play will have no idea what you're doing, let alone how they should play to stop you. The fact that the deck is so skill-intensive to play just makes it more fun

Got the full deck now (including 30 unglued goblin tokens just for fun) so time to goldfish for about a year until I get the courage to play it in a tournament ^^
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Hmmm. Every mechanic has a color that it gets defined in. But each mechanic also tends to have a "second-best" color. Card draw, for example, is blue, but is second best in green. Trample, well....black? It's hard to tell. Black or red. Remember red had a cycle of beasts back in the day (though, yes, not many had trample). I do know white and blue don't have a lick of it, so it goes to one of those.
    I did a little keyword search on magiccards.info and Red is indeed the second-most color (76) that has Trample as a keyword. Black is third (33), Blue is fourth (17), and White is last (16).
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Every color has their keywords they get and the others are secondary, tertiary, and so on. In the case of red it normally doesn't grant trample, but it certainly does get it.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    MTGFanatic's got those two cards on their spoiler list, so I don't know if that makes it official. Can't imagine they'd do it without checking first http://www.mtgsalvation.com/theros-spoiler.html

From what I understand the source for the two cards is reliable. I guess we will find out in about 2 or 3 weeks when we get the full lists anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, continuing their trend with $20+ Green cards I want I see.
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

I don't think Polukranos is going to be $20 as it will be seeing print twice in a short period, with one of those printings being in a product that costs $20 that you will be able to find at retailers.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-08-14 at 11:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, all my decks are usually bad but fun, which is good for me, because I like having fun. One I've kind of worked on is a mono-red ping deck. It is what it sounds like. Unfortunately, I don't have nearly all the cards I want, and of course, it's not going to be VERY good if I do. But here's what I got so far.

3x Cinder Wall
    3x Torpid Moloch Because this deck lacks in one-drops, so needs defenders while you get the real stuff
    4x Prodigal Pyromancer
    4x Cunning Sparkmage
    2x Kumano, Master Yamabushi
    4x Viashino Fangtail
    3x Vulshok Sorceror
    4x Lightning Bolt
    2x Kamahl, Pit Fighter
    4x Spikeshot Elder
    2x Jeska, Warrior Adept
    4x Brimstone Mage
    4x Seething Song
    2x Koth of the Hammer

Seems like it could be really fun, and my friends hate it when I play the current version. Seems to be the one deck I want to improve on, over any of my others. Keep in mind it's super casual. Also, Spikeshot Elder seems a waste without any kind of buffs, and Spikeshot Goblin addition would cause the same issue. I suppose if I could get 4 Sulfur Falls, I could add Niv-Mizzet.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-08-15 at 12:07 AM.

Looks like the correct wording for Polukranos has appeared.

Polukranos, World-Eater
    Legendary Creature - Hydra
    : Monstrosity X. (If this creature isn’t monstrous, put X +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
    When Polukranos, World Eater becomes monstrous, it deals X damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures your opponents control. Each of those creatures deals damage equal to its power to Polukranos.
    5/5
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-08-15 at 05:29 PM.

Ah, much better ^_^, now it fits with what MaRo said!

That's quite likely not fake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's pretty decent. Drop it turn 3 (yay Green ramp), turn 4 ping something for 3 and bash in for 9. Too bad it doesn't have Trample.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy! I went to my local comic book/tabletop shop and they still had a handful of old Saviors of Kamigawa boosters. That set hasn't been relevant for years but it was very nostalgic

One of my game stores is having a GP trial for the next GP, unfortunate that I don't have a modern deck.

Heroes vs. Monsters spoilers

Ordeal of Purphoros is going to be annoying in limited.

So, when ever they make a new set, does that make the last set useless? I got a ton of cards a year ago. Im sure it wouldn't matter among just friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    So, when ever they make a new set, does that make the last set useless? I got a ton of cards a year ago. Im sure it wouldn't matter among just friends.
    They are only useless when it comes to Standard. Right now for that format you can use cards from Innistrad and all the way to M14, but when Theros comes out all of Innistrad block (Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn Restored) and M13 will not be able to be played. So when Theros comes out you can only play with Return to Ravnica block (being Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and Dragon's Maze), M14, and Theros.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are several different ways to play the game, which determine the type of cards you can play.

Limited (40-cards, you play with sealed product):

Sealed: Open 6 boosters, use the cards in them to make a 40-card deck, and play.

Draft: usually 8-players sit at a table with 3 boosters. Each players open 1 booster, chooses 1 card from that pack, then passes the rest to his neighbor to the left. Continue until the cards are all taken. Then open the second and repeat, passing to your right neighbor. the third is again to your left.

Constructed (60-card (+15 sideboard) preconstructed decks)

Standard: The last 2 blocks (blocks consist of 3 sets with the same theme/story) + the latest core set (or for a short while,latest 2 core sets). This is the biggest constructed format, and earns WotC the most money, due to constant streams of new cards. The metagame changes often, so it can be expensive to keep up with, even if deck prices are lower than other formats.

Modern: (basically, the cards with the new card frame - 8th edition and up for core sets, Mirrodin and up for blocks.) The newest format, designed to give players a wide range of cards, but to keep prices in check, since the very old cards are sometimes very expensive.
    Currently, modern is still growing, and going trough some banlist changes to get it up and running.

Legacy: Every set is legal, including special products like commander and planechase. There is a banlist including cards that mention ante, and some very broken cards (the power-9, necropotence, skullclamp) This is the favorite format of a lot of professional magic-players. It's also fairly expensive with decks costing up to 2000+ euros. There al lots and lots of viable strategies though, and games are fairly complex.

Vintage: The big one. Legacy, but most of the overpowered cards, like the power 9 are legal, or restricted. moxes and lotus lead to lightning fast draws, turn 1 Jaces, etc. Decks cost thousands of euros, so this format is rarely played.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ordeal of Purphoros is a pretty sweet card for a Hexproof deck.

T1 - Gladecover Scout (or Slippery Bogle in Modern)
    T2 - Ordeal of Purphoros, Bash for 4 and Lightning Bolt something.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Ordeal of Purphoros is a pretty sweet card for a Hexproof deck.

T1 - Gladecover Scout (or Slippery Bogle in Modern)
    T2 - Ordeal of Purphoros, Bash for 4 and Lightning Bolt something.
    How do you attack multiple times on turn 2?