Page 6 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    My prerelease was pretty awesome, I picked Rakdos, and didn't get a single Mythic (actually I got 2, both Selesyna, but all my G/W was shit), but pulled the Rakdos shockland and Dreadbore. Neither did I get a single cackler, only one Hellhole Flailer, so what saved my ass? 4 Shred Freaks, always watch out for those guys, as they were the only reason I went 5-1 and got 3rd place.

Didn't really stay too long into the second prerelease as I was tired though.

On a side note, Rakdos is without a doubt the most powerful in limited, where I was at all of the top 3 were Rakdos, I knew 1 Azorius was somewhere in the top 8 and that 4th place was Selesyna though.
    Last edited by Callax; 2012-09-30 at 04:41 PM.

I'm not sure what everyone else picked, but Golgari took the top spot at the event I attended (the guy didn't drop a single game...though I was 1 life point away from taking one off of him). Golgari and Selesnya seemed to be the popular ones around here.

I went with Azorious, since the limited events I play usually end up boiling down to the person with the most flyers. It seemed like every booster I opened was nothing but B/R/G, though...which was pretty annoying. The only mythic I pulled was the black vampire chick, but the 3BBB cost meant I was never going to get to play it. Still, I managed to put together a decent U/W deck and pulled out 8th place. Since something like 60 people showed up, it wasn't a bad day for me. Overall, I think this is a very fun limited format. I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of decks the better players will be putting together for constructed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I'm not sure what everyone else picked, but Golgari took the top spot at the event I attended (the guy didn't drop a single game...though I was 1 life point away from taking one off of him). Golgari and Selesnya seemed to be the popular ones around here.
    Score, can't wait. Damnit, I need a job.

Azorius isn't grabbing me like it did back then.

Detain just seemed like too good a mechanic to pass up. Compared to unleash, at least, since I was going to go with Rakdos initially. And green's never been a color that really excited me. :P

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Out of the top 6 W/U had 4 in there 1 W/G and 1 G/B. I played W/U and my only loss was against mirror and hitting mana pockets mid game in both games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Went 5-1 saturday. I picked azorius, and ended up with a bant deck.

Opened loxodon smiter, pallisade giant, Sphinx's revelation.

My only loss was against another azorius player who had Jace, Supreme verdict, Isperia and just overwhelmed me in the late game. I was actually thinking of siding in the conjured currency against him, and now it actually seems like it would have been good against his bombs.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Went to 3.
    First one I went Izzet, I got an amazing Izzet beatdown (regular hypersonic and the promo and Niv Mizzet.) got royally stomped by Azorius/Selesnya guilds.

Second one I went Azorius, got a stupid amount of strong Azorius commons and uncommons, but all 5 of my non guild packs were Golgari rares (Lotleth/Jarad's Orders) so I tried Golgari. Got stomped by Azorius/Selesnya again.

My last guild was Selesnya, pulled Wayfaring Temple, 2 Deathrite Shamans and 2 copies of the artifact that mills 1, a bunch of Azorius enchants (including Sphere of Safety and Martial Law), and 2 of the Selesnya guildmages, it was brutal.

The LGS that I go to gives 2 packs to each player as prizes (One opened and one sealed, placement decides pick order)... he didn't put enough packs out for everyone and we had a 4 way tie for second and a 5 way tie for 3rd, and so I was 10th pick despite going 6/3 out of 4 rounds, so he opened some more giving me first pick out of those packs. Saw a second Lotleth, grabbed it, opened a Vraska. Giggles ensued.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last time I tried to get into MTG I was having fun building a life-gain themed white/black deck with three separate win conditions, and then someone pointed out that the poison mechanic seeing extensive use in the upcoming Phyrexia expansion countered my entire deck concept like a power drill counters kneecaps.

And the only method of dealing with those poison mechanics was a pretty rare green creature.

So I stopped playing :-/
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Last time I tried to get into MTG I was having fun building a life-gain themed white/black deck with three separate win conditions, and then someone pointed out that the poison mechanic seeing extensive use in the upcoming Phyrexia expansion countered my entire deck concept like a power drill counters kneecaps.

And the only method of dealing with those poison mechanics was a pretty rare green creature.

So I stopped playing :-/
    Yeah, infect pissed me off something awful. One of my friends built a deck around (warning: card names I don't remember) the 1/1 unblockable infect blue, and the +4/+2 equipment that had you sacrifice a creature to equip it. A 5 power unblockable infect, game over pretty quick. Plus, you know, permanent damage sucks, and it goes around indestructible. Infect felt totally overpowered to me. And double strike, but that's a whole nother ballgame.

Right now though, it's about to cycle out I think. For Standard that is. But I never played tourneys, and my friends and I don't really care where our cards come from. Makes for some unbalanced games sometimes, but that's the fun of it. You don't have to make decks to counter theirs per se, but you do have to figure out how to make yours better at all times. At least multiplayer is a crapshoot. My friends particularly hated my elf deck in 1-on1, and my blue/green "Kiora" deck in multiplayer. That's a reference to Duels of the Planeswalker 2012. Deck is fun to play. Got a lot of ideas from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Yeah, infect pissed me off something awful. One of my friends built a deck around (warning: card names I don't remember) the 1/1 unblockable infect blue, and the +4/+2 equipment that had you sacrifice a creature to equip it. A 5 power unblockable infect, game over pretty quick. Plus, you know, permanent damage sucks, and it goes around indestructible. Infect felt totally overpowered to me. And double strike, but that's a whole nother ballgame.

Right now though, it's about to cycle out I think. For Standard that is. But I never played tourneys, and my friends and I don't really care where our cards come from. Makes for some unbalanced games sometimes, but that's the fun of it. You don't have to make decks to counter theirs per se, but you do have to figure out how to make yours better at all times. At least multiplayer is a crapshoot. My friends particularly hated my elf deck in 1-on1, and my blue/green "Kiora" deck in multiplayer. That's a reference to Duels of the Planeswalker 2012. Deck is fun to play. Got a lot of ideas from it.
    While infect is an awful mechanic in my opinion, in standard there are not a lot of options to abuse it (like there were in modern with blazing shaol before the ban).I could see it getting annoying on the kitchen table, but I hardly ever play non-tournament decks so it wasn't a problem for YT.

I'm glad the rotation is happening, though, and I hope (and think) delver won't be Tier 1 anymore. We've seen enough aggro control in standard for a while. Give me some midrange or control decks
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

this thread is old..... any chance of reviving it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SloveenEfsei View Post
    this thread is old..... any chance of reviving it?
    Well let's start by posting decklists for what people want to play now that return to ravnica is almost legal.

Here's a rough draft of my (WIP) U/W miracles deck.

http://www.nedermagic.nl/deck_item.asp?deckid=114319

I'm considering adding green, solely for thragtusk. that card is nuts against aggro decks
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2012-10-03 at 03:15 PM.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I'm really liking him in my miracle deck. I've only tested again zombies so far, but he shines in that matchup. The -2 ability is nuts and the +1 is very relevant against swarm strategies like zombies.
    His potential for card advantage unmolested is pretty absurd. I question the usefulness of the +1 simply because I haven't had a chance to play with him. It seems to me long term that he has to continue using his +1 ability for it to be meaningful defense, and a 2UU enchant that -1/-0s my opponents creatures seems like a raw deal, however the ability protects the player as well as the planeswalker, and if you stabilize behind him and start activating the mini fact or fictions, its going to be pretty hard to lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    His potential for card advantage unmolested is pretty absurd. I question the usefulness of the +1 simply because I haven't had a chance to play with him. It seems to me long term that he has to continue using his +1 ability for it to be meaningful defense, and a 2UU enchant that -1/-0s my opponents creatures seems like a raw deal, however the ability protects the player as well as the planeswalker, and if you stabilize behind him and start activating the mini fact or fictions, its going to be pretty hard to lose.
    The +1 ability is rather situational, but combined with decent removal/sweepers/tamiyo, it gets easily out of hand, even against the most aggressive decks. I don't think his ultimate will be relevant, because most people will happily go +/+/-. The -2 ability is just that good.

In my miracles list I play 6 sweepers (4 terminus/2 verdicts) and 4 feeling of dread, combined with 2 azorius charms. This gives me a lot of options to protect Jace and keep the card advantage train running

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chapin
    Jace, Architect of Thought is better than Jace Beleren.
    I tend to agree with him here
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Well let's start by posting decklists for what people want to play now that return to ravnica is almost legal.
    Nah, since I don't have a job right now, I haven't really been as excited for it as much as I ought to be. Instead, I wanna show my most favorite thing to do to my friends with my elf deck:

Turn 1: Forest, Llanowar Elves
    Turn 2: Forest, Llanowar Elves, Joraga Treespeaker, Wirewood Symbiote
    Turn 3: Forest, Imperious Perfect
    Turn 4: Forest. Play Wood Elves, search for a Forest, into play. Level up Joraga to level 1. Tap Joraga, use Symbiote's ability, put Wood Elves back in my hand, untap Joraga. Play Wood Elves again, fetch another Forest. Use a forest to active Imperious Perfect's ability to generate a token. During their turn, activate Symbiote's ability to put Wood Elves back in your hand, untap Imperious and reuse his ability. Tap Joraga for Level 2.
    Turn 5: Forest. Play Wood Elves again, fetch another forest. Tap Joraga for Level 3, return Wood Elves to hand to untap Joraga. Tap 4 lands/Llanowar for level 5, and let the insanity begin.

Let Imperious keep pumping out buffed tokens, use for whatever mana I need. If Elvish Archdruid comes into play, more mana. Hope for an Ezuri To give major pump up. At this point you might even be able to use his ability three times for what is probably death to your opponent. If not, well, you have a ton of mana and an empty hand, what to do with it all? Well, fortunately green is good about card drawing, but the best card that could be in this deck is an artifact. Slate of Ancestry. With all that mana, you'll be able to play the 10-15 cards you draw from this. Just be careful. Once or twice is usually more than enough. After that, you may end up drawing your whole library.

This situation happens more often than you'd think with RNG. So much fun.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-10-03 at 09:52 PM.

Well, I don't have the decklists fleshed out yet, but...

Standard: BWG planeswalker control, BUG splinterfreight, BUg zombies, almost MBC
    Modern: phyrexian unlife combo
    legacy: ANT/dreadstill (yes, dreadstill, make fun of me)

10+ Year Old Account
    I just realized a flaw in my plan above. Level Up can only be done as a sorcery. I may have cheated then against my friends. Oops.

Anyway, amusing card find of the day. Lowland Oaf It's got it all, flavor, relevant funny flavor text, and dying goblins.

Does anyone have Duels of the Planeswalker 2013? I only have the demo, and it doesn't save the cards I've earned, but I had a question. Why are there no mulligans?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I just realized a flaw in my plan above. Level Up can only be done as a sorcery. I may have cheated then against my friends. Oops.

Anyway, amusing card find of the day. Lowland Oaf It's got it all, flavor, relevant funny flavor text, and dying goblins.

Does anyone have Duels of the Planeswalker 2013? I only have the demo, and it doesn't save the cards I've earned, but I had a question. Why are there no mulligans?
    As far as I know, there are mulligans, maybe they're not in the demo. Haven't played it in a while, though. Could be wrong.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted by the MTGSalvation staff from the CI forum in an attempt to cover their tracks:

[quote=Iggey;9205077]I think it is time to provide some updates on the MTGS sale to Curse corporation, and to provide insight on the sordid, sordid, sordid tale which led to mass bannings in this site and the closure of an entire subforum.

Originally Posted by straight from the mod lounge

Okay guys. This has been in discussion with the Globals for about a week, and a small selection of you that would be directly affected have been contacted for opinions. This is now being opened up to the rest of you.

About a week ago, the admins got in touch with our Curse liaison. This person will be directly above the admins when the deal goes through, so we're already establishing a working relationship. Fabien, our liaison, took a tour of the website with Lord Voldemort while discussing things with us. He got access to many areas, including the Speakeasy and the Gutter, and we asked him his opinion.

The first is the biggest news. The Gutter cannot stay, even with the sanctions we've currently put in. Curse will not allow such a place on our website. The hazings, the slurs, basically many of the liberties the Gutter has, they have no place on the Curse network. Curse has told us that we have to get them in line in any way we so choose. Kill the sub or cauterize the bits that stick out of the box, they don't care. But here's the important thing: We may not say that Curse said so.

For those of you who missed the implications of that, the Staff must pull a 180 here. We must, saying it was our idea, tell the Gutter that the past four months were all for naught and that we still have to change things entirely.

I'll get to our options in a few moments.

Slightly less of a problem is the subject of the Red Zone. The Speakeasy is safe, but each of the NSFW sections will probably have to go. No real big loss in most cases. NSFWCW will probably become a censor-off sub, but no more sexual content. NSFW Debate will probably become 'Hard Debate' or something similar so the more adult or controversial debates (the Unconscionable Position rule threads, for example) have someplace to go.

For the Gutter, there isn't much we can do.

Option 1.) Kill it. I'm saying this to get it out of the way. I would rather not do this, as it will sacrifice all credibility that the staff has. We go back on our word, and because we can't cite Curse as the reason, we're doing it for no reason.

Option 2.) As I said before, cut off anything that doesn't fit in the box. Hazing, slurs, making fun of other members, all of that? Gone. The Gutter essentially becomes an invite-only clan in its own private sub that just so happens to have its censor off. All threads except TBGTE (and maybe even that one) get moved to a private read-only subforum that can only be accessed if you have the direct link, for archival purposes.

If you guys come up with other options, let me know. But that's about all I can come up with.

For Talore, GR, Teia, this isn't going to be fun. Sorry guys. Our hands are tied here, and I'm not going to enjoy this any more than I assume any of you will.
    As it has been explained by one of the banned members in another forum:

Originally Posted by A now banned member

here's the real down low: they were going to shut us down/postpone the pegging talks because they were waiting on confirmation from Curse on whether or not we'd be allowed to stay open (re: harping on the use of hate speech). the final word came in and it not only said we couldn't use hate speech but also we couldn't stay open the way we were -- to quote "some person": Some Curse executive browsed the whole Salvation alongside rianalnn and the veredict is that the Gutter is a no go. They will only accept a censorless "clubhouse" for an "overclan" or some ****. And the fun part... there is a fun part... Curse is wants to force the admins to make it look like it's their thing and not Curse's
    tl;dr: kpaca and Kijin were enticed to post about the upcoming sale by the staff, which came out handy in getting them banned. Here is a post outlining the plan to ban the majority of the Gutter members:

Originally Posted by Senori

I mean, obviously a lot of Gutter people spam the forum for a while, which sucks, but you can delete those posts or ban those users pretty easily.
    [/quote1]

Originally Posted by Iggey

PS: the leak is Nai.

More to come once I get ahold of the evidence

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Currently playing a White/Green M13/Avacyn/Selesnya Deck.

Having a bit of trouble with Blue control and Black Control, but thinking a few loxodon smiters whit my Sheltering words should help out.