Page 10 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Wouldn't the loyalty counters be removed from him if he took damage without that clause?
    Only if he were killed as a creature, which still makes it redundant. As a creature, he doesn't lose loyalty counters, right? I don't think a creature with, say trample, could do enough damage to "kill" him, and then trample over to his loyalty counters. Do they even exist when he's a creature?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Only if he were killed as a creature, which still makes it redundant. As a creature, he doesn't lose loyalty counters, right? I don't think a creature with, say trample, could do enough damage to "kill" him, and then trample over to his loyalty counters. Do they even exist when he's a creature?
    Even if it's redundant, it makes the creator's intent extremely clear. My guess is that they did it to prevent any disagreements over rulings that might have occurred.

So I'm trying to convince myself that I should drop the $110 on a Gatecrash booster box. It's weird, I know that I'll end up spending that much money and then some over the course of the series anyway, and I figure I can make at least some of my money back since I don't play black or green, yet I'm still hesitant to make the pre-order...
    Last edited by Kalyyn; 2013-01-02 at 07:45 PM.

So this little diddy is going to make decks that are not running Thragtusk, Rhox Faithmender, and Sphinx's Revelation compete a little better.

Love the flavor text.

And also this limited baddy that will surely win games on it's own......errr technically with the help of other creatures. Not only does it grow huge, will be able to block almost everything and will easily become 3/7 or bigger and just win at that point.

神出鬼没の混*体("Elusive mutant"?) - 1GU
    Uncommon
    Creature - Fish Mutant
    Unblockable
    Evolve
    0/4

And finally this angel, which everyone is arguing whether it will see constructed play or not. I think it will see some sort of play and has a good chance of being played after rotation. The fact that you get to choose an ability every combat step makes your attackers stay blockers by choosing vigilance on your turn and then giving them first strike or lifelink.

~Angel Skirmisher
    Creature - Angel

Flying

At the beginning of each combat, choose First Strike, Vigilance or Lifelink.
    Creatures you control gain the chosen Ability until end of turn.

4/4
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-01-03 at 12:16 AM.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Biovisionary might be cool if you can find ways to copy it.

Biovisionary might be cool if you can find ways to copy it.
    In Standard there are not too many ways and it isn't a good idea to be playing a card such like that, but I bet I will find FNMs where someone makes that deck.

Outside of Standard Modern has so many clone effects it isn't even funny and could see a fun stupid deck there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, now, this is an odd card. I can't see myself ever using it

Alms Beast doesn't look great at first, but I think he is pretty nice. Your opponent will have to use small creatures and one or two life won't be a big deal and it becomes removal that helps your opponent, which is what white is known to do.

I see him much akin to Grinning Demon or Abyssal Persecutor, 4 mana 6/6s with a drawback. If W/B control becomes a thing this could have the potential, but I am not holding my breath, although still being slightly looking forward to it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 04:24 AM ----------

¿High Priest of Penance?
    WB
    Human Cleric
    Whenever High Priest of Penance is dealt damage you may destroy target nonland permanent.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 12:04 AM ----------

Today's cards are pretty nice.

Crypt Ghast is akin to Cabal Coffers. Mystic Genesis is just asking for something big to be played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Duskmantle Guildmage kind of sucks. Abilities feel overcosted.

Skynight Legionnaire reprinted. Art looks pretty good. Also nice to know some cards still remain relevant today.

Mystic Genesis reminds me of Aether Mutation.

Duskmantle Guildmage kind of sucks. Abilities feel overcosted.

Skynight Legionnaire reprinted. Art looks pretty good. Also nice to know some cards still remain relevant today.

Mystic Genesis reminds me of Aether Mutation.
    Dimir's Guildmage this time around is actually pretty strong, use him with Jace 3 and his mill 10 becomes deal 10 damage.

I am not a fan of the Skynight Legionnare art this time around, in fact, that was the main complaint about this card.

Also Pongify is back. This will just make Delver even better and every blue deck will want this for Angel of Serenity, Thundermaw Hellkite, and other finishers.

Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated. That creature's controller puts a 3/3 green frog lizard token into play.

I think he would still lose his counters... It's a state based effect that 1 point of damage removes 1 loyalty counter, so even if not destroyed, If he was a 4/4 (aka 4 counters) and was blocked by 3/3 first striker, he'd get reduced to a 1/1 as the 3 counters would be removed as a SBE before the regular combat damage step. My days of judging are pre-planeswalkers, but I'm thinking this is why the clause needs to be there. To ensure that on the regular combat step in this example, he's still a 4/4.

I might be wrong though. any judge that is active nowadays care to chime in ?

Lol I love crocodile frog. I am definitely playing Simic once at prerelease.

Urban Evolution is Concentrate and Explore put together.

Stolen Identity is pretty sweet for limited, if you can make it stick. Mind Grind is just amazing when it comes to mill. This with Crypt Ghast easily takes out most of a deck.

And this is a random Green Sun's Zenith.

Signal the Clans {R}{G} Rare
    Instant
    Search your library for three creature cards and reveal them. If you searched for three cards with different names, choose one at random at put it into your hand. Shuffle the rest into your library.

10+ Year Old Account
    Signal the Clans - I'd so rather have Congregation at Dawn.
    Stolen Identity - love it. Could work with Biovisionary
    Mind Grind - X can't be zero, but what if a player has no lands left in their deck? Do they luck out and the spell fizzles for them?
    Urban Evolution is awesome and you can't go wrong with Crocofrog.

Mind Grind - X can't be zero, but what if a player has no lands left in their deck? Do they luck out and the spell fizzles for them?
    Their entire deck is milled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Their entire deck is milled.
    Derp, never mind. The caster of the card can't make x zero, so nevermind. I totally read that wrong.

Derp, never mind. The caster of the card can't make x zero, so nevermind. I totally read that wrong.
    I find that it is a pretty good spell against Goblin Charbelcher decks that only have close to zero lands in it, usually zero normally. But if they have no lands left in the deck they just keep going until their deck is gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I find that it is a pretty good spell against Goblin Charbelcher decks that only have close to zero lands in it, usually zero normally. But if they have no lands left in the deck they just keep going until their deck is gone.
    Holy hell I just looked at Goblin Charbelcher. Though, you still need some way to get the belcher in play, and to play its effect, so you need some lands, right?

Holy hell I just looked at Goblin Charbelcher. Though, you still need some way to get the belcher in play, and to play its effect, so you need some lands, right?
    There were (are?) Charbelcher decks that ran zero lands, I can not quite remember how they got the mana, but I know they used Simian Spirit Guide. When you use the effect, if you have no more lands in your deck, or zero in this case, you cycle through your entire deck and deal 45+. The effect must be stopped to do anything or the game would end in a draw. Then you can stack your deck by putting whatever in the right order.

I pulled this from Gatherer.

And according to level 4 judge Rune Horvik (as can be seen at
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp ily/rh92):

If you don't have any lands in your library you reveal all the cards
    left in the library, then the Charbelcher deals 1 damage for each
    revealed card.

Even if one part of an effect fails, the other parts will try to do as
    much as possible. Revealing the land is just a stop condition, it's not
    a requirement to deal damage (it doesn't say "if you reveal a land..." ).

10+ Year Old Account
    So today was maybe the luckiest day of my life =O

I bought three boosters at the local card shop (one innistrad, one dark ascension, one avacyn restored)
    From those three packs, I pulled Huntmaster of the Fells, Gisela, Silverblade Paladin, and Snapcaster Mage. Spent $12, got like $75 worth of cards. Absolutely lost my shit.

Gonna keep the Paladin and the Gisela, see if I can trade the other two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hah, ok, this sounds fun

And I still have no idea what the Gruul is trying to do. It almost sounds like a red/white Battlecry-type "attack with everything all the time with all things" kind of thing

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 02:17 AM ----------

Well, if this isn't the epitome of blue/green http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...7&d=1357707768

A new fight card, basically one more mana for an instant http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...0&d=1357708065

And I'm not really sure what to think of Biomass Mutation yet.

Zegana is pretty boss. She will probably find her way into Bant Control and definitely into EDH.

Pit Fight might see some constructed play just fo rthe fact that it is instant over Prey Upon.

Biomass Mutation needs a home before it can start doing crazy things. In limited it will be a huge blowout during stalemates.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 12:44 AM ----------

Here is the only preview of note today.