15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I use MTGSalvation.com for any news. I'm not sure about the rest, but they have an active forum. I tend to build decks without much outside influence, which is probably why I only play casual.

If you still have some of those 3rd/4th/Ice Age cards, you might have some that could fetch a hefty price.

Also, since you haven't played in a long time, you'll have to catch up on the rules. It's not a flat "here's the rules" site, but this blog is cool because they explain things in detail. http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/
    Thanks for the heads up. Yeah I'll be playing casual and teaching my gf all the rules I know, then we can learn the rest together.

As for my old shit, I wish I still had them. I had damn near 2000 cards from that period (and when I came back 10 years ago). Forgot them in a move when I split from my fiancée and completely forgot about them til a year ago. I guess I could call her up and see if she still has them (she was an avid player), but I'm sure she's intermingled her cards in over the years (or dumped them herself). Would be easy to split the old from the new (and probably worth it) but I'd rather not deal with the hassle. I do know I had a few gems. Not sure if they were or are still worth anything, maybe is rather not know =P. Only card I cared for was my Legends Dakkon Blackblade. He was fun to get out on the bored, protect, and wreak havoc with.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 02:45 PM ----------

Just saw the price on the Black Lotus I had from then... =(

Maybe I will call her up.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, Dakkon. Yeah, you're gonna get used to the differences in power. Dakkon was a three-color 6CMC card with power toughness equal to your lands. Dungrove Elder is three mana, has Hexproof, is only one color, and has power toughness equal to your forests (which in a mono-color deck is close enough to lands).

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I saw korlash or w/e the spelling is "heir to the blackblade" at the retailer the other night. Same thing but in swamps. I saw a post from a couple months ago talking about people complaining about cards being too strong or too weak now and his correlations to past cards. I can definitely see the power on some of the older cards, and some of the newer recent ones I've opened up. Nature of the same though to adapt. Things get adjusted.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Considering the first ability is three mana, how the hell do you get a "turn 3-4 victory" over making them lose a couple life?

Though I forgot about the Simic mage. Definitely the best one.
    Mindcrank (http://magiccards.info/nph/en/144.html) plus the dimir mage means that if a card goes to an opponents graveyard or you deal damage to an opponent, that opponent will instantly lose the game. Even if the player doesn't die to being at 0 health, he will still have his entire deck milled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Mindcrank (http://magiccards.info/nph/en/144.html) plus the dimir mage means that if a card goes to an opponents graveyard or you deal damage to an opponent, that opponent will instantly lose the game. Even if the player doesn't die to being at 0 health, he will still have his entire deck milled.
    That's an eeeeevil combo (and I want it)

Deleted
    Nice thread btw , im also new player and i love the game , can some 1 tells me a site or some REquirements for first build deck?
    i need pretty much help

thnx a lot , and i wait for answers

Well, so far GTC is coming up quite nicely. I think they're really hitting the target with this block...

Nyx, I would suggest you go to a store and purchase a preconstructed deck that is recent. You will get a deck that can be played (although not too strong) that you can learn a bit from. You can also try magic online's trial which lets you use some preconstructed decks... I can't find the link at the moment, but when I have more time I'll go get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap, I want a four-set of Army Loyalist http://www.mtgsalvation.com/gatecrash-spoiler.html#6742

First Strike AND trample? Come on, that's awesome.

I am liking Soul Ransom. I think it has the ability to be played in constructed, but probably only in Esper Control decks. They pay the cost to make you sac the enchantment and you use Cloudshift or Restoration Angel to keep it forever and you are up 2 cards. Sounds good to me. Of course to stop cards like Thundermaw Hellkite you will need Blind Obedience so you do not get blown out of the water unexpectedly and with the extort on top of that you can bleed them as with the cards used to save your new toy.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 04:30 PM ----------

Just in time to stop the deck that just won the GP.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Deleted

[Magic the Gathering] Is this a possible move?

Hello.

Me and some friends was playing magic this evening and we got into a strange situation and we didn't really know if it was a possible move.
    One of my friends uses a swamp/plains deck. He had the enchantment card Séance in play. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Ca...verseid=249422 Link for those who want to know what the card does). One of his swamp vampires was in the graveyard and he wanted to use the enchantment and get a copy of that vampire back into play. However this vampire was protected against plains (Séance is plains) and we started to wonder if that move is possible since he wanted to use it on one of his own creatures. We tried to google it to find answers but didn't find anything. We said that he could not use it for now to continue the game but it could be nice to know for sure the next time it happens.

What do you think about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly certain it's a legal move. The protection against white is a static effect, which only activates while that creature is on the battlefield.

Protection only applies to permanents in play (or players themselves). A similar situation would be claiming that you can't counter a hexproof creature.

Deleted
    Yes it is a perfectly valid move on his side. Protections doesn't go into effect before they are on the battlefield or it is stated on the specific card otherwise (like if the vampire says it can't come into play from a gy ect.)

Deleted
    Okey. Thanks for the quick replies. Good to know for future games.

This is the best land in a long while. The flavor is amazing and the effect matches that amazingness. Almost every EDH deck wants it, Post wants it, and it is bound to find it's way somewhere in other formats.

Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-01-16 at 05:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    This is the best land in a long while.

I can see this replacing Vesuva in some ways - or probably just being Vesuva 5-8 lol. Will definitely see play in EDH for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ho yeah, that's the Gruul card I was hoping for http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...4&d=1358399023

And it's Ball Lightning with lifelink http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...3&d=1358398933

Unexpected Results is pretty interesting too http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...5&d=1358399731

And it's Ball Lightning with lifelink http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...3&d=1358398933
    Excuse me, but the correct name is Ball Lightning Helix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spark Trooper on main phase one
    Attack with Spark Trooper
    Emancipation Angel on main phase two
    return Spark Trooper to your hand.
    Repeat next turn. If you run out of Emancipation angels, start using Cloud Shifts on your Emancipation Angels.

Could be pretty brutal, if you could get the conditions for it.