Page 43 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    That's just the base of the deck. It can obviously be changed up a touch and have some other small creatures and things added to it. *shrug* it just seemed like a fun deck to play vs friends with, I never really thought of it to be of any worth in a tournament or anything.
    Well, if you play like my friend does, he plays a goblin deck with turn four wins....or a dragon deck with a 12/12 flyer on like turn 3.

I was wondering if you guys could check out this deck I just started putting together for modern play, I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

The idea behind it is to passively steal life and outlast the other player, the deck is constantly changing as i'm continuously reading over modern cards.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-black-16-09-13-3/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    I was wondering if you guys could check out this deck I just started putting together for modern play, I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

The idea behind it is to passively steal life and outlast the other player, the deck is constantly changing as i'm continuously reading over modern cards.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-black-16-09-13-3/
    I think a mono-Black deck without some form of hand disruption (Thoughtseize, Duress, Inquisition of Kozilek, etc) loses to Storm decks and Splinter Twin decks pretty consistently.

While searching through cards I found 3 which really stood out to me.

I was a bit slow in noticing this but someone beat me to it http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...g/daily/rc/236

I think I found my perfect deck (For my play style) for modern.

Went to my Theros prerelease and ended up coming in 8th where everyone got 15 packs for 8 or better. I played W/B and ended up going 4/2. I pulled Ashen Rider and Purphoros as any decent rares from my 6 packs. I loved seeing some combos like my Abhorrent Overlord with Gift of Immortality and Insatiable Harpy and Glare of Heresy were huge, but that is probably because I went up against decks with white in them constantly.

I opened up these in my 6 packs.

Purphoros
    Fleecemane Lion
    Ashen Rider
    Fabled Hero
    Gift of Immortality
    Triad of Fates

From my winnings I got

Wrath of the Gods
    Chained to the Rocks
    Triad of Fates
    Sylvan Caryatid
    Pyxis of Pandemonium
    Temple of Triumph
    Shipbreaker Kraken
    Fleecemane Lion
    Rageblood Shaman
    Temple of Silence
    Psychic Intrusion
    Spear of Heliod
    Stormbreath Dragon
    Swan Song
    Pyxis of Pandemonium
    Gift of Immortality

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

2x fleecemane, a stormbreath dragon and a purphoros more than payed for your tournament already

Congrats!

No more than my little brother, he opened up two Elspeth, but he didn't do very well. In hindsight it was probably the color combination he used that me and someone else advised.

Another mediocre pool, another 3rd place, packs were mostly dull but I did get a thoughtseize.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Another mediocre pool, another 3rd place, packs were mostly dull but I did get a thoughtseize.
    Thoughtseize is definitely a nice prize for going.

You Make the Card is finished and here it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn there are a lot of choices for Magic this time around. I know I want to play control, but I can't decide on the colors. I could choose

W/U/B (Esper) - Elspeth is in it and there is a ton of control options, from Ashiok to Sphinx's Revelation and Hero's Downfall. With Jace (RTR) and everything else together you can keep the board controlled, but you will be hard pressed against aggro and multiple creatures. This deck also allows me to use Blood Baron or Obzedat to swing away while holding the creatures back with whatever I draw.

U/B/R (Grixis) - Almost all of the same walkers, minus Elspeth, but I do get access to Ral Zarek and Chandra (M14) can handle aggro strategies with Anger of the Gods, albeit probably not as great, but it has even more tools to choose from after Hero's Downfall with Dreadbore. Getting the "Legion of Doom" out with Jace, Chandra, Ashiok, and Ral Zarek together is a lock and Frostburn Weird can easily protect against aggro long enough to pull ahead.

W/U/R - There are a lot of ways to play it, plenty of board wipes to handle aggro and plenty of counters to keep some other strategies at bay. I could go the whole "Super Friends" route with upwards of 8 walkers to clog up the board, can use Frostburn Weird to handle aggro, and I can use the classic Assemble the Legion to protect my walkers and flood the board with tokens, along with Elspeth, plus if I can get Jace, Chandra, Ral Zarek, and Elspeth together is bound to wreck something. I can also go the classic control route with about 4 walkers and almost play draw go the entire time with Aetherling and any other big creatures I can think of.

Way to many choices and way too many links. Money is a small issue so I can't do more than 200$ than I already have, and I have most of each deck. Just going to have to test I guess.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-09-30 at 08:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah not sure what I want to play now that I'm gettting back into paper Magic. I've been so used to MTGO doing everything for me I think I want to start simple (since I haven't played paper since Rise of the Eldrazi). I'm thinking of starting with this:

Creature (18)
    4x Elvish Mystic
    3x Ember Swallower
    3x Nemesis of Mortals
    2x Polukranos, World Eater
    4x Sylvan Caryatid
    2x Sylvan Primordial

Land (25)
    8x Forest
    2x Gruul Guildgate
    7x Mountain
    4x Stomping Ground
    4x Temple of Abandon

Enchantment (2)
    2x Bow of Nylea

Instant (6)
    4x Lightning Strike
    2x Magma Jet

Sorcery (5)
    2x Clan Defiance
    3x Ground Assault

Artifact (4)
    4x Darksteel Ingot

Seems like a good start. Here is a list that came in 3rd at the last SCG Open. Take a look at this and get some ideas. I am definitely not saying you have to use this lost of course.

G/R Monsters

Creatures (22)

4 Elvish Mystic
    2 Ember Swallower
    2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
    3 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Stormbreath Dragon
    4 Sylvan Caryatid
    3 Polukranos, World Eater

Planeswalkers (7)

3 Chandra, Pyromaster
    4 Domri Rade

Lands (24)

9 Forest
    7 Mountain
    1 Mutavault
    4 Stomping Ground
    3 Temple of Abandon

Spells (7)

3 Lightning Strike
    4 Mizzium Mortars

Sideboard
    2 Mistcutter Hydra
    2 Burning Earth
    1 Destructive Revelry
    2 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    1 Bow of Nylea
    3 Anger of the Gods
    1 Fade into Antiquity
    3 Peak Eruption

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post

3 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Stormbreath Dragon
    3 Chandra, Pyromaster
    4 Domri Rade
    Yeah I like the look of that list but there's no way I could convince my wife to let me spend $300 for a Magic deck

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Yeah I like the look of that list but there's no way I could convince my wife to let me spend $300 for a Magic deck
    That is true, although if you ever decide to play modern the Ooze and Domri can be played there, making your investment last longer. Of course the deck I listed is just an idea as well, tweak it the way you think works well for your budget and play style.

Pretty sure I want to play this right now during the early part of the new standard season. I am liking the deck so far, but I think the sideboard could be changed up some.

Lands
    4x Island
    4x Mountain
    3x Azorious Guildgate
    4x Hallowed Fountain
    4x Sacred Foundry
    4x Steam Vents
    3x Temple of Triumph

Creatures
    4x Frostburn Weird

Planeswalkers
    2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
    3x Jace, Architect of Thought
    1x Ral Zarek
    2x Chandra, Pyromancer

Spells
    2x Assemble the Legion
    4x Detention Sphere
    3x Dissolve
    3x Sphinx's Revelation
    3x Warleader's Helix
    3x Supreme Verdict
    2x Turn // Burn
    2x Syncopate
    1x Izzet Charm

Sideboard
    2x Jace, Memory Adept
    2x Glare of Heresy
    2x Pithing Needle
    1x Supreme Verdict
    2x Anger of the Gods
    1x Swan Song
    2x Essence Scatter
    1x Heliod, God of the Sun
    2x Mizzium Mortars

- - - Updated - - -

New Commander in Commander 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    snip
    Nice. I love control decks but since I always have to be budget-conscious I always build terrible ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Nice. I love control decks but since I always have to be budget-conscious I always build terrible ones.
    It's working well against RDW, U/W control, and R/G Monsters so far.

And another new Commander.

- - - Updated - - -

Here comes another new commander and a proper picture of the one posted above.

Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-10-08 at 04:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Derevi is weird. An effect that happens when it comes into play OR another creature damages a player. But I guess it's a card that can keep dying, because it costs the same to get out every time.

Oloro is holy-god-fuck-I-want-it-now. You get two life every turn (regardless of where he is), and you can pay ONe mana for a card and one life loss for your opponent. That's nuts.

Marath kind of wants you to kill him off over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Derevi is weird. An effect that happens when it comes into play OR another creature damages a player. But I guess it's a card that can keep dying, because it costs the same to get out every time.

Oloro is holy-god-fuck-I-want-it-now. You get two life every turn (regardless of where he is), and you can pay ONe mana for a card and one life loss for your opponent. That's nuts.

Marath kind of wants you to kill him off over and over.
    Marath can also feed himself counters so if you have Doubling Season out he can get bigger, or you can do other crazy infinite shenanigans with him, plus he comes from Lorwyn and is sort of shown in this card by the hoofprints.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been having some success online with this list. Fatties plus Anger of the Gods has been winning a lot of the games. Also, Anger and Underworld Cerberus are great since Anger exiles creatures instead of putting them in the graveyard so even if they kill the Cerberus they get no benefit from it's death trigger.

Creature (14)
    3x Carnival Hellsteed
    4x Desecration Demon
    2x Ember Swallower
    2x Lord of the Void
    3x Underworld Cerberus

Sorcery (6)
    4x Anger of the Gods
    2x Read the Bones

Artifact (6)
    3x Rakdos Cluestone
    3x Rakdos Keyrune

Land (25)
    4x Blood Crypt
    9x Mountain
    4x Rakdos Guildgate
    8x Swamp

Instant (9)
    4x Hero's Downfall
    3x Lightning Strike
    2x Magma Jet

Sideboard (15)
    4x Devour Flesh
    3x Pithing Needle
    3x Sire Of Insanity
    3x Skullcrack
    2x Whip of Erebos
    Last edited by Naxere; 2013-10-10 at 11:21 AM.