I am not so sure the new names will stick. The older names have mostly one syllable and one sound: bant, jund, RUG, BUG, junk.

They are also "familiar". The new ones, being middle-asia-ish are not so easy to memorize and associate. I don't see myself calling GWB Abzan instead of Junk. I can't even remember the names of the rug and bug clans. We'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'll stick with the names I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Time for speculation. Wizards just trademarked "Magic Origins".

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    I am not so sure the new names will stick. The older names have mostly one syllable and one sound: bant, jund, RUG, BUG, junk.

They are also "familiar". The new ones, being middle-asia-ish are not so easy to memorize and associate. I don't see myself calling GWB Abzan instead of Junk. I can't even remember the names of the rug and bug clans. We'll see.
    Yeah the names for the Wedges seem quite off because of Asian sounding names for them. I will most likely stick with Junk, RUG, BUG, America/Patriotic, and just plain calling WBR white black red.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Magic origins was trademarked months ago :P

The 5th of March, to be precise...

Magic is having a huge change coming after M16.

Change #1: Beginning in the Fall of 2015, Magic Blocks Will Be Two Sets Each

Starting with "Blood" block in September 2015, each block will have one large set that introduces the world and one small set that builds upon it. (I should note that this is the default and we reserve the right to have sets of different sizes if it serves the block.) Blocks will no longer have a third set.

Change #2: Beginning in the Fall of 2015, Magic Will Have Two Blocks Per Year

Here's the typical schedule of the Magic year, with all the usual caveats about how Magic is about change and you should expect us to shake this up a bit over time: There will be a large fall expansion and small winter expansion set in World #1. Then there will be a large spring expansion and a small summer expansion, usually set in World #2. The first two sets will be part of one block and the second two sets will usually be part of a second.

Change #3: Beginning in 2016, the Core Sets Are No More

The summer of 2015 will have the last core set release, and in 2016, the summer set will be the second set of the block that started in spring of 2016.

Change #4: Beginning in 2016, the First Set of Each Block (the Fall and Spring Sets) Will Cause a Rotation

This in some ways isn't a change, but rather an adaptation to match the new Two-Block Paradigm. The first set of a block has always caused a rotation in the past. The Two-Block Paradigm just means that this now happens twice a year (in the fall and in the spring) rather than just in the fall.

Change #5: Beginning in 2016, Standard Will Be Three Blocks Rather Than Two Blocks

To keep the metagame more robust, we are changing the size of Standard. This change is the reason we are telling you this now, because we want you to understand that Khans of Tarkir will only be played in Standard for 18 months. This change should not have any impact on the set's role in other formats.
    In the end Standard and the release schedule will work like this.

Last edited by Dontrike; 2014-08-25 at 10:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh. Think I'm gonna miss Core sets. But if this means more worlds to explore, maybe they'll run out of ideas and be forced to revisit some places we want to see again. Not like they haven't done it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Huh. Think I'm gonna miss Core sets. But if this means more worlds to explore, maybe they'll run out of ideas and be forced to revisit some places we want to see again. Not like they haven't done it already.
    This will be pretty interesting.

Probably an odd question but here goes. Is there like an encyclopedia or something similar with the lore of Magic the Gathering? I know there are novels and I own (surprised I found it) volume 1 of the card guide. But I'm looking for something like the Hyrule Historia or just something that compiles all that stuff in one book.

You should probably check the MTG salvation wiki, and the encyclopedia phyrexia, but that's not been updated for 12 years...

Other than that, I would strongly suggest... the books! Most of them are ok, some awesome, and very rarely terrible.

Looks like cards with multiple choices will have those choices separated by bullet points. The Gatherer of Cryptic Command is formatted like that. That change will definitely make cards with that many choices a little easier to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    You should probably check the MTG salvation wiki, and the encyclopedia phyrexia, but that's not been updated for 12 years...

Other than that, I would strongly suggest... the books! Most of them are ok, some awesome, and very rarely terrible.
    Damn, was hoping for some type of compilation of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Damn, was hoping for some type of compilation of things.
    There's probably a wiki somewhere, but due to the way the game works, with multiple universes, it's probably not a good way to learn story.

The clouds parted and the heavens bestowed the gift of FETCHLANDS! (in Khans)

We also have another card that doesn't compare to the lands. There are other cards spoiled at PAX, but I can't get any I can copy and paste here.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I got lucky in some packs

For theros: I got thassa

2015: genesis hydra, urborg and a phytotitan

So pretty good packs

Deleted
    I personally like the fact that they are getting rid of core sets because they mostly contain very bland/boring cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure I love Sarkhan's ultimate, but at least it's something that doesn't say "you win the game". It's definitely "red", too, but it doesn't feel like Sarkhan.

So my current favorite deck is a green deck revolving around summoning as much Elves as possible. I find it to be a lot of fun, and was wondering if it would be "viable" right now.

(I'm referring to "Sylvian Might'' in DotP 2014.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Not sure I love Sarkhan's ultimate, but at least it's something that doesn't say "you win the game". It's definitely "red", too, but it doesn't feel like Sarkhan.
    The ultimate might be him still being a little crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    So my current favorite deck is a green deck revolving around summoning as much Elves as possible. I find it to be a lot of fun, and was wondering if it would be "viable" right now.

(I'm referring to "Sylvian Might'' in DotP 2014.)
    Elves is a classic deck that is played a lot, when it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    when it is possible.
    What do you mean "when possible"? Against certain match-ups?