Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    What do you mean "when possible"? Against certain match-ups?
    I meant if the cards are there to pull it off. Elves will lose against board wipes, but after that you can pretty much swarm anyone.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I meant if the cards are there to pull it off. Elves will lose against board wipes, but after that you can pretty much swarm anyone.
    Ah, gotcha. That's an obvious downside to the deck, but when you're facing someone that doesn't have much -- if any -- board wipes, it appears to be a very strong deck.

What decks do y'all enjoy playing? Preferably explaining what they do, etc, as I'm new and don't know all the fancy terms yet. :P

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Ah, gotcha. That's an obvious downside to the deck, but when you're facing someone that doesn't have much -- if any -- board wipes, it appears to be a very strong deck.

What decks do y'all enjoy playing? Preferably explaining what they do, etc, as I'm new and don't know all the fancy terms yet. :P
    I prefer control decks what with the killing of creatures through various means, countering spells, playing very large creatures, and overall just messing with my opponent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorin is cool, but Bloodline Keeper ruined me on "put a 2/2 flying vampire into play". Also note that his +1 lasts until YOUR NEXT TURN, so it persists during your opponent's combat.

Morph isn't really worth it without a special effect.

Of the new abilities, Raid looks to be the most fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Sorin is cool, but Bloodline Keeper ruined me on "put a 2/2 flying vampire into play". Also note that his +1 lasts until YOUR NEXT TURN, so it persists during your opponent's combat.
    I missed the "until your next turn" bit, but still thought this Sorin was pretty good.

Also I didn't expect Sorin to show up, but with Ugin either being from Tarkir or having something to do with the plane then it makes sense.

Morph isn't really worth it without a special effect.
    That is both true and not true. Morph having a cheaper cost than the normal CMC allows the creature to be played sooner, if you had nothing to do on turn 2 or 3 (depending on mana ramp). Morph has had issues with cost to effect problems, so we will definitely need to see if they have learned their lessons from Time Spiral and Onslaught.

Of the new abilities, Raid looks to be the most fun.
    I am think Outlast and Delve have the highest possibility of something being the most broken.

Looks like Nicol Bolas is going to be in the next set.

10+ Year Old Account
    Liking the look of the new set so far. I wasn't a big fan of Theros tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Spoilers for today. I like the copy spell, only because if you cast it early your opponent may forget about it. At the very least the board wipe isn't bad for 5 mana. Also Naga being a creature type is interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I forgot Delve was in there. I like Delve, but the particular creature showing it seems really overcosted, even with the opportunity to make it cheap.

I forgot Delve was in there. I like Delve, but the particular creature showing it seems really overcosted, even with the opportunity to make it cheap.
    I am sure they are going to be cautious about Delve as being able to make something free has always been an issue.

Khans Trailer also showed up.

This thing is going to win limited games all day.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thing is going to win limited games all day.
    Seems odd that it has Morph. I get that you can have it a turn earlier (if you sink 8 mana into it instead of 6), but why risk your win condition getting killed off as a 2/2.
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Decent enchantment is pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Seems odd that it has Morph. I get that you can have it a turn earlier (if you sink 8 mana into it instead of 6), but why risk your win condition getting killed off as a 2/2.
    Depends on the deck you are going against to use the morph, but I will agree you won't be using it all of the time. Honestly since you are clearly playing green you are going to be playing this on turn 4 anyways, possibly as a follow up of Prophet of Kruphix or Polukranos.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2014-09-02 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far the previews have me excited to play RUG.

Spoilers for today.

- - - Updated - - -

This goes right into my commander deck all day.

Last edited by Dontrike; 2014-09-02 at 06:40 PM.

Spoilers for today.

- - - Updated - - -

This goes right into my commander deck all day.

For one more mana.. Vindicate becomes instant? wow... Ty based Wizards

10+ Year Old Account
    First two links are errors for me.

First two links are errors for me.
    Yeah the links are broken on MTGS for some reason. For reference the two cards are See the Unwritten and Abzan Ascendancy.

We have a new card.

Quote Originally Posted by zettazlow
    For one more mana.. Vindicate becomes instant? wow... Ty based Wizards
    Vindicate didn't remove things from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior

Tribal decks in general are mostly regarded as casual. A competitive deck has answers to other decks in addition to its own strategy. Often times those answers take the form of removal, which isn't something that elves in particular have access to. Every once in awhile Wotc prints a enough tribal cards in the same set that have competitive mechanics, but not often.

Any deck that relies on having a bunch of creatures out for mutual benefits will tend to be vulnerable and less competitive to begin with. I used to have a friend who played with an Atog deck. It was the worse deck on the planet. Next time you get the itch to build a tribal deck, just imagine how bad an Atog deck would be and ask yourself how good your deck would be in comparison.

Got spoilers for today. The Rakshasa is alright, probably could have used at least one keyword on it though. The morph cycle isn't all that great, but the black one might do something. A surprise blocker to kill a creature off and 2 damage to an opponent is not bad at all, plus it has the upside of being a 2/2 to deal some extra damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Tribal decks in general are mostly regarded as casual. A competitive deck has answers to other decks in addition to its own strategy. Often times those answers take the form of removal, which isn't something that elves in particular have access to. Every once in awhile Wotc prints a enough tribal cards in the same set that have competitive mechanics, but not often.

Any deck that relies on having a bunch of creatures out for mutual benefits will tend to be vulnerable and less competitive to begin with. I used to have a friend who played with an Atog deck. It was the worse deck on the planet. Next time you get the itch to build a tribal deck, just imagine how bad an Atog deck would be and ask yourself how good your deck would be in comparison.
    Tribal decks are usually casual, but elves, goblins, merfolk, and fairies are well known strong, or at least decent, tribal decks in their respective formats.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2014-09-03 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ghostfire is back, in the form of equipment. While it's a fun looking card, I wonder how much colorless we'll see in a set focused on three-colored cards.

I like the white and black morph ones, because they have some form of evasion and their morph bonus is actually useful. The red one sucks, and giving one creature trample once isn't really useful.